“Tahoe ski trip” 4 of 5 stars

Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Tahoe ski trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Harrah's Lake Tahoe
We stayed here for a seven day ski trip between February and March and beyond a few problems that we had I’d not only recommend the hotel to a friend but would stay here again. The problems first: The ski gondola is not across the street as they told us but a good city block away. Now that was nothing when I was in my 20’s but at my age it’s a heck of a walk in full ski gear, with skis, poles and boots in the very warm temperatures at the base. They told us they didn’t use any harsh chemicals in the pool area but after one visit to the hot tub my sensitive skin had a bad reaction and I didn’t go near it again. The young man at the concierge desk was very knowledgeable but we could hardly ever find any one there to answer any questions. They do have a little coin laundry in their sister hotel, Harvey’s, but it consisted of 4 machines, one of which was broken and we didn’t find it something we could ever get to use. If you have laundry to do there is one a mile away past the grocery store so maybe you should take a cab.

The hotel was very nice and our room was lovely with a good view of the mountain and lake from the seventh floor. My wife was crazy over the two bathroom since she could leave her stuff everywhere, just like at home, while I used the other bath. We ate in one of the many restaurants the hotel has to offer every night and never had anything to complain about. We ate the buffet twice and found it both good and a good value. We should have went out more to eat and experience more of the town but it was just so easy to stay in after a hard day of skiing. After reading a number of negative reviews of this hotel we looked hard to see a problem but beyond a few places where the carpet was faded at some entryways, we couldn’t find anything. Now we didn’t gamble or drink so we can’t comment there. The service was very good and everything clean and well maintained. As for the problems we experienced, we would stay there again and simply work around them next time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

Just got back from 3 nights here.... Went there for a 40th party celebration. It was an eye opener.... The Casino area does not stop.... 24/7....!!!

The rooms were v plush.... Sofa's, beds, tv's.... There were 2 bathrooms and each had a tv in it too.... We were interconnected with friends. Unloaded the drinks on arrival and partied all weekend....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Booked this hotel for a ski/snowboarding trip with my girlfriend (but saying this ideal for boys or girls away) in early February, 2011. Even though there was a lack of snow on the mountains, this didn't deter from a lovely stay, welcoming hotel staff, ideal location to get to the gondola for access into Heavenly ski resort.
The hotel was clean and rooms were very big (Vegas style), and there were enough cuisine, beverage options throughout the hotel, and its sister hotel Harvey's located over the road (which is easily accessible via an underground subway from inside of each hotel). Overall for the price of the rooms, its perfect for what you need, would say venture out of the hotel a lot more than stay in to visit the restaurants/bars within heavenly village.

Chico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

My wife gave me a hard time when she found out I booked a room at Harrah's. She gave me an even harder time when she saw the room.

I booked it because of convenience. They had quite a few restaurants, Starbucks and lots of other amenities all under one roof. Well, they did have a Starbucks.

I paid for the "Executive Room" and the picture and description painted a pretty scene. In reality it was:

1) Shabby and worn out with 1990s electronics that didn't work.
2) Hair (pubic and other) in the bathtub. That really got my wife going.
3) Two bathrooms... mine had 1 bath towel and hers had 2.
4) I requested an upper floor. They put me on level 4 next to the parking garage.
5) It was Valentine's weekend and yet most of the restaurants were closed. They forgot to mention that on their website.
6) Because of no restaurants we tried room service to get some food. I waited 5 minutes on the phone to be told it would be 45 minutes for a meal. We wound up in the basement restaurant. Note that there is no cellphone service there.
7) One of the squeakiest and cheapest beds I've been in. I must assume they buy their mattresses from the county jail.

Anyway... a dreadful waste of money. And the worst part is my wife was right.

Auburndale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

We had read the past reviews of the hotel right before we arrived and was very concerned regarding some of the statements people had said. But when we arrived we couldn't of been happier! The hotel was very clean, the rooms were way nicer then we ever expected! The his/her bathrooms were amazing!! Big walk in closet, I would highly recommend this hotel! Here is a tip...Coffee Pot in your room-call the front desk they will bring you complimentary coffee without charging you $6 a cup. The only negative comment is there was no safe in the room. With gambling and skiing that would had made us feel better when leaving the room. We have stayed at Harrah's in Las Vegas and now here, I would never hesitate to stay at a Harrah's Hotel! Thanks for a great stay!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Went skiing at Heavenly the last weekend on January. I had three comp nights at Harrah’s thanks to a casino host named Joe. The service at the hotel from check in to check out was without flaw. Upon arrival I was upgraded to a spa suite, I believe it was called, and given lounge assess which was delightful. I like the size of the hotel- very easy to navigate unlike some mega resort/casinos. The location to the gondola was nearby which is a plus when shelping skis ect. I had read some previous reviews noting bad service/cleanliness ect- I found none of that. The suite I had was on a smoking floor- room 1546 I believe, however you couldn’t smell smoke anywhere in the room. It was very clean and roomy. The only unpleasant thing I found over my stay was the water pressure/ temp. of the water in the shower was never consistent. Sometimes it wouldn’t even heat up. Not a huge deal, just after a long day of travel from NH to NV I couldn't get a hot shower. I know the hotel had many 'green' things going on so I suspect it had something to do with that.

Again, overall a great stay largely due to the staff - I will be back. P.S. room service was always on time and they will go to Starbucks and deliver a drink to your room- amazing!

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

We liked Harrah's. We had no complaints after three nights. We were really surprised at the large size of our room. It was much bigger than most hotel rooms. It had a large main room, with a sofa sitting area by the large glass windows over-looking town, the mountains, and lake tahoe. There were two bathrooms, one with a shower and sink, one with a tub and sink. Sort of his and hers baths. And the bed was really soft and confortable. Nicest room I've stayed in a years.

The staff was also helpful and friendly. They brought us a small refrigerator so we could put our soda and beer in it rather than the one they kept the for sale drinks in.

We really liked having all the choices of restaurants right in the hotel, and across the street at the sister hotel, which you can get to through an underground tunnel. Nice to have in cold weather. I will warn you that the food in the Riverwalk restaurant is just OK, not great. I would only go there is you just don't want to go somewhere else cause it's easy.

The hotel is only a few hundred yards from the gondolla to Heavenly ski area. So it was a great location for my skiing. I could walk to the gondolla in my ski gear and boots. How easy is that? Very!

For the price ($116) through Hotwire, this was a great deal in a nice hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrah's Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!