“Always a favorite in a great location at Stateline” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harveys Lake Tahoe

You added Harveys Lake Tahoe to your Saves list
Harveys Lake Tahoe
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Highway 50 at Stateline Avenue, PO Box 128, Stateline, NV 89449   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Stateline
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport Beach, California
“Always a favorite in a great location at Stateline”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We always stay at Harvey's between Christmas and NYE every year and still love it. First off, you can't beat the Stateline location. Secondly, Harvey's is a stone throw to Heavenly Village where you can take the gondola up to ski/snowboard and where there are plenty of shopping and dining options to choose from. One of our favorites is Fire + Ice; check it out for sure!

While the rooms in the main tower (not mountain tower) are a bit dated with older fixtures and wallpaper, they're pretty spacious with large bathrooms and vanity areas. I especially like that the separate shower has glass a door instead of a curtain. Germaphobes can appreciate that I'm sure. The beds and bedding are nicer than average plus there are in room safes. There is also a desk, small table and flat screen TV.

We absolutely LOVE the outdoor heated pool and hot tub, especially in the winter when its snowing. There is nothing better than sitting outside in the hot tub, looking up at the falling snow and having it evaporate before it hits your face. If you prefer something warmer, Harrah's allows use of their amenities and has an indoor pool and hot tub.

If you're a Total Rewards member, the Diamond Lounge is awesome with free appetizers and adult beverages.

While Harrah's is more upscale than Harvey's, it can sometimes feel like more of a party scene. The casino is busier and there is a night club there. If that is what you're looking for, the properties are connected so you won't have to worry about walking outside in the winter and can easily shuffle back and forth between both.

Of all the years we've been coming to Harvey's, we did have a few setbacks this trip:
1. We could hardly spend any time in the casino because the cigarette smoke was so thick. We don't normally experience this here so we hope it was just a one time flaw.
2. Two of the on duty Total Rewards (Diamond) hosts was neither accommodating nor friendly. I'm sorry to say, but if we're loosing major bucks in a casino it would be nice to not be treated poorly on top of it. While our room may have been comp'd, we definitely paid for it and then some gambling.
3. The valet kid was rude and impatient. This of course translates into making a guest feel like we're taking up his valuable time. In turn, I ended up having to find a bellman to assist with our luggage. He was of course pleasant.

All in all we still love Harvey's and will be back to stay again. We would recommend it to travels visiting South Lake Tahoe.

If you're an experienced ski/snowboarder, make your way over to Kirkwood for the day! The terrain is much more fun than Heavenly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the "California side". I've always thought this was the best pan...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Albany, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

From the looks of it, Harvey's should be a grand hotel and provide a high level "hotel experience."
Unfortunately, despite earnest well meaning employees and service, the hotel just feels like they are nickel and diming the guests for everything.
My room (queen in the old tower) was quite spacious, clean, and functional. But it feels empty. There is no desk but a rickety table that could be used for work. The internet costs $10+/day but is virtually unusable in the evening. Most hotel rooms I've been in have a safe -- this one does not and in order to get one, it requires a $30/day room upgrade.

Want to get a late checkout? You can but it will cost you $30 and allow you to stay until 1300.
It just seems so unfortunate to me -- this place could be grand at a small incremental cost to the management -- I don't understand their approach.

So if you just want a room and don't need to feel at all taken care of -- this place is reasonable.
And yes, free parking is available

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Vacaville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed at Harveys for two nights on Dec 28 and 29. We are Harrahs players club members and so we were comped for the first night but paid $199 for the second night. When we checked in we were given a room in the "Mountain Tower". I walked into the smallest hotel room I had ever seen, the toilet was running, and the view was a roof of another hotel. I asked the registration desk for a room in the other tower and after talking to the manager, we were told that the hotel was sold out and they did not have another room to offer us. One of the other clerks overheard and said that there were smoking rooms available in newer tower, so we took it. Turns out the room didn't smell too bad and although the room was outdated and needed some work, it was much better than the orginal assigned room. Harvey's and Harrah's both need new carpet in the hotel and casino because the carpets have worn places and are stained and dirty. The slot machines were really tight and we didn't see anyone win anything big. A very disappointing trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake. Don't accept a room in the Mountain Tower.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Overall I would recommend this property . There are some things you should take into account- while it is a great location , with great views and very close to Heavenly, and it is a relatively inexpensive place to stay for the area -The rooms need updated( although the beds were comfortable with down comforters) it is also a family hotel with LOTS of children and attracts a crowd that comes there to hit the slot machines in the casino downstairs. This is the equivalent of a high rise holiday Inn on a lake with a casino. If you're looking for a big family friendly place this is for you.

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Was stranded by Amtrak (note: do not take Amtrak to Tahoe in winter! Lesson learned!) and got a room for the night. Harvey's and Harrahs are owned by the same people so u can books rooms at both at either desk - always ask if other hotel is cheaper! Underground tunnel connects both hotels. Spacious and clean rooms, about what you would expect from a casino hotel. Very noisy near the elevators - I wasn't in a position to be picky, but definitely request rooms at end of the hall.

• Stayed December 2012
Gresham, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed three nights at Harrah's Lake Tahoe and two nights at Harrah's Reno in August 2012.. I expected to like Harrah's Lake Tahoe better - expected it to be nicer and higher end than a property in Reno - but I was incorrect. I debated between Harvey's in Lake Tahoe or Harrah's in Lake Tahoe (both Harrah's properties) - but wentt choose Harrah's Lake Tahoe as reviews were better for Harrah's in Lake Tahoe. We weren't disappointed with Harrah's Lake Tahoe - but we actually preferred Harrah's Reno. The customer service was superb there and I preferred the casino and look of the hotel. The pool at Lake Tahoe was indoor with a very small outdoor space - there was no bar/food service and lacked a fun and lively atmosphere - no music, etc.. There is an outdoor pool at the Reno property. If a nice pool experience is important to you in the summertime- don't choose Lake Tahoe. Of course - the beautiful scenery in Lake Tahoe can't be beat - it is simply stunning!
I was comped all five nights as Total Rewards member - so who can argue tor complain if it's not perfect! We much prefer Las Vegas and the Harrah's properties there - plus the overall experience and fun! But since we had to travel to Lake Tahoe/Reno for our son's concerts - it was great to get our stay comped - and we did enjoy our stay at both properties. They are good but not great. We will likely be returning next summer as well and will choose Harrah's Reno.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lakewood, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was comped two night at Harveys December 5-7 and chose to stay in a Luxury room with two queen beds. Sadly when I checked in and asked for a room on a high floor, the young lady assisting me said with the room I chose only goes as high as the fifth floor, which is actually the lowest floor( I didnt question her or fight with her about it). I had a great view and by that I mean I was able to stare at a 1982 style satellite dish.

However, the room was 525 sq feet and plenty big for two adults. The room was clean and organized. I enjoyed the bathroom area as it is actually split between a toilet in one room, a vanity with a sink in another room, and a bathroom with another sink and separate shower/tub in another. The beds seemed comfy however after free drinks and $2 Patron shots next door at the Montbleu, I could have slept on logs with shards of glass sticking out of them and I wouldn't have known the difference.

I did not eat here just a cup of coffee at Starbucks so I cannot comment on the food.

All in all I would definitely return esp. comped. I had no problems with any staff, etc. The dealers at the craps table here very nice as well as the check-in lady. Covered parking is a short walk to the front door/check-in area. It is in perfect location to the other casinos and the underground walkway attached to Harrahs is convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Harveys Lake Tahoe? Share your experiences!