“Cheap Booze+Cheap Food+Sigma Derby= Love” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa

You added MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa to your Saves list
MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Hwy 50, Stateline, NV 89449 (Formerly Caesars Tahoe)   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stateline
Lakewood, Ohio
“Cheap Booze+Cheap Food+Sigma Derby= Love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

To start off, I did not stay at the MontBleu, I stayed at Harvey's but spent most of my time here.

My brother and I dined at Cafe del Soul on December 5th and each had their $9.99 1lb steak dinner that included a baked potato and steamed veggies. I really liked the meal. For $10 you cannot go wrong. The steak was cooked the way I liked it and although it was tough in an area or two, 90% was pleasing. The baked potato was big and the veggies were perfectly cooked and seasoned. For dessert we had the deep fried snickers which was deep fried to perfection and covered in vanilla ice cream and whipped cream..... it was awesome. Note: You must have a players card and swipe it at the kiosk at the restaurant to get your steak. The waitress told us it was a way to track their steaks or something of that nature.

Besides winning/losing on slots, my brother and I hung out a lot at the one bar, The Zone Sports bar. Where else are you going to find shots of chilled Patron for $2??? NO WHERE! Also enjoyed the $2 Coronas. On certain nights they have mini buckets of wings(12) and pitchers of ShockTop or Bud Light for $6.....sick deal.

Next to the bar are two Sigma Derby machines. Sigma Derby is an electro-mechanical horse race used for gambling. Players can buy in with quarters and place bets on the five horses; a quinella of two horses in any order pays out according to the odds. The house has roughly a 10-20% advantage, depending on the machine. The only big win I had is when I bet 25 cents on a horse combo that was 77-1 and I won 77 quarters. The lowest odds are 2-1 and highest 200-1.

The best part about this game besides the cheesiness is of course free drinks....and good free drinks. People around us were drinking Makers Mark, IPA's and I helped myself to a Sierra Nevada and Vodka/RedBull. These machines were crowded when we were there and cocktail waitress was around every 15-20 mins.

We played a 4pm poker tourney here for $45 which mostly consisted of drunk people in the same clothes for 36+ hours....they gameplay was horrible and I wanted to blow my head off...although I cannot blame the casino for this. Only 10 people showed to play and I wish I had my $45 back.

All in all I will def. return to this otherwise cheap food/booze casino. Had no problems, hit a 4 of a kind and straight flush on poker, and had a great buzz going while doing it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Merritt Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great location, good value. Bed was uncomfortable. Biggest problem, the whole hotel reeked of tobacco smoke. I have asthma & sinus trouble, so I suffered the entire trip. You have to walk thru casino to get anywhere & the smoke is terrible there. Went into Harrahs where smoking is also allowed however smoke wasn't as bad. They must have a much better ventilation system. With that being said rooms were bib, clean and overall good value.

Room Tip: Stay away from ice maker, otherwise quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fresno, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

As I hadn't been to the South Shore of Lake Tahoe in a while I thought I would take my wife and spend a week. We had been to both Harrah's and Harvey's, pretty much stock and standard casino hotels whose only plus is a fantastic view of Lake Tahoe, so we thought we'd try the newly remodeled MontBleu. All I can say is "not impressed." We stayed in a suite whose jacuzzi jets didn't work, the safe was broken and numerous lights in the room were burnt out. Hotel staff were informed and repaired everything but the jets but never offered any compensation for the inconvenience or even to move us to another room. Won't be going back anytime soon.

Room Tip: If you have to go, at least make sure they give you a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just returned from a pre-Thanksgiving ski trip at South Lake Tahoe (the advanced slopes at Heavenly were open). Montbleu is perfect if you're on a budget but want a lovely, spacious room. The quality is a great value for the rate. I've read reviews in which people refer to 70's decor, but the only thing that appeared dated to me about the room itself was the popcorn ceiling.

We were in a premium room (originally reserved a spa room -- more about that later).The queen-sized beds were extremely comfortable with thick, soft bedding.

The bathroom, very large with marble-like flooring, is thoughtfully designed to provide for plenty of space for four people to get ready in the morning. The toilet is separated by a door from the rest of the bathroom; a large area with two sinks and a shower, so the facility can be used simultaneously for different purposes. Additionally, a large jacuzzi tub is located entirely outside the bathroom, in the bedroom area, so two people can bathe at the same time as two others are at the sinks brushing their teeth.

In reality, of course, since our group consisted of me, my husband, daughter, and mother, the only one comfortable bathing out in the open in the jacuzzi tub was my young daughter -- but she really enjoyed it! She turned on the jets and watched the Disney channel - quite luxurious for a child!

The indoor pool area ("The Grotto") is really nice; the pool and hot tub are very large and kept at a good temperature. We all enjoyed it.

I've read reviews in which people complain about the buffet at the Montbleu, but really, if you use the $3.00 coupons in the local Entertainment paper, dinner is $10.00 a person, and I don't know where else you can get all the salad, turkey, prime rib, drinks and dessert you can eat for that price.

The only reason I didn't rate this hotel higher is due to the reason we wound up in the premium room. First I should say that the hotel staff responded promptly to my complaints about the original Spa rooms we were placed in, which we very much appreciated, and we enjoyed our stay at Montbleu.

However, we encountered issues with cleanliness at this hotel which might bother others more than it did us. To avoid being too graphic, I'll just say the first room we were put in had a disturbing issue in the bathroom, and the second, which was supposed to be non-smoking, did smell strongly of smoke. However, this could have been due to smoke wafting up from the casino area since the room was on a lower floor.

Montbleu then gave us an upgrade to the premium room, which smelled fine and had a nicer view. However, something we found rather comical even in this premium room but others might not is that apparently the "Hamburgler" had occupied the room before us. We kept finding hamburger wrappers at odd times stashed in various locations in the room. They were under the bed, behind the chairs, between the bed and the wall, and probably in other locations I'm not aware of.

We will stay at Montbleu again, but next time I'll just reserve a premium room at the outset -- still a great value. With the lower-priced rooms, you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is great. The rooms are fairly large and although they could use an update, they were nice. The casino is fun and the restaurants aren't bad either. We went for Halloween and had a great time.

• Stayed October 2012
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were only going up to Tahoe for 1 night for my Brother’s birthday and rate on a Friday was $79 which is always a bargain considering the other two properties I’d consider in Tahoe (Harvey’s & Harrah’s) run much higher for not too many additional amenities. The rooms have been updated since being Caesar’s except for the shower glass which obviously isn’t an issue. The hotel staff is always pleasant and this time because our 4 year old son was going with us, the front desk staff as we were checking in gave him 10 tokens for the arcade ($2.50 value) which wasn’t a huge deal but those little things you wouldn’t find at most larger properties.

Check in was only 5 minutes and room was to our satisfaction. Always clean, comfortable sheeting and bedding and room overall feels clean and fresh. The old showers from Caesar’s are beginning to show their age and either they need a refurb or replacement; this room’s shower floor just didn’t look clean. The other issue with the bathroom was the toilet took a very long time to actually flush, most likely just a minor plumbing issue but could create issues if you were sharing a room at capacity with three others. It was also a little surprising that for a two-queen room there was only one sink in the bathroom which was an issue while the three of us were getting ready for dinner.

The other attractive item with MontBleu is their indoor pool and spa. My son and I spent over an hour in the pool which is heated year round to a comfortable temperature and for those that want to ease the sore bones, the spa is hot and large enough if you’re sitting with your loved one and there are others in the spa, you’re not sitting on each other’s laps. Its’ shape is similar to a four-leaf clover and plenty of jets. If you need to either cool off or relax in the spa either summer or winter, this is one of the only 2 casino hotels with indoor accommodations.

Overall we were happy with our stay, the rooms have the amenities you’d need at home however they no longer include coffee in your room. You’ll either need to go the room service route or head down to the Starbucks at the casino level just by the elevators, I’m not bashful heading to get coffee in PJ’s but that’s me. Montbleu is a pretty safe bet for Tahoe if you’re not put out by minor things and for the value off and on season it’s a good property, we typically look here before any other hotel casino in Tahoe on any of our trips because of their consistent quality and value.

Room Tip: If you can opt for a lake view; it’s wonderful either sunset or sunrise looking over Lake Tahoe. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Napa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed during the week overnight in a standard room. The room was clean, the bathroom large, the bed comfortable and the furniture was in good shape. The couch in the room was a nice feature for lounging in the room without having to sit on the bed or a desk chair. The check in was easy and took no time at all. One thing I didn't like, which I knew going in, was a $2.25 daily fee, basically a resort fee. I think these fees should be added to the room rate since I can't not pay it, even if I didn't want to use any of their facilities. The casino was fun and had a good mix of games and machines and I was even doing well for a while. We ate at the coffee shop in the morning and thought it was a good value. Overall, I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you park in the garage it is a long walk to the front desk and hotel elevators, but the outside l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!