“Not Bad!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Sparks
Tucson, Arizona
“Not Bad!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in an east tower non-smoking room that was clean, nicely decorated and spacious. It had nice furnishings, a big flat screen TV, comfortable bed, and a few extras like free in room coffee and bottled water. The WI FI is free, but only for one device per room. On the downside, the hotel is very noisy; we could hear the traffic from I-80 from our 8th floor room. The Nugget has a decent selection of restaurants; we especially liked Rosie's cafe for breakfast and Trader Dick’s for drinks and appetizers.
The location of hotel makes it convenient to/from the airport, downtown Reno or Lake Tahoe. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Nugget and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring ear-plugs to block out the noisy traffic from I-80!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Wow, what a disappointment! Since this is a 4 star hotel (supposedly) one would expect a decent stay at least. This was far worse than any 1 star motel I've ever stayed at. Upon entering you are hit with a pungent cigarette smoke as there is smoking in the casino on the first level. Upon checking in and entering the room, the cigarette smoke smell was even worse in the room! I called the front desk and requested a room change and they said they didn't have any others, but would send someone to deodorize the room. This consisted of a maintenance guy showing up 15 min later with a can of air freshener who sprayed a few times and left. The smell of the smoke was awful and never left. We had to sleep in 30-40* weather with the window open just to breathe and it was still terrible. My eyes literally burned from the stench. Bed was old and dirty looking. Room was way outdated. We ate at John's Oyster Bar on the 1st floor and the food was bad too. Just a horrible experience and we would never stay there again, even if it was free.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I grew up in Reno and know that casino hotels aren't always the best, a fact that was validated when I stayed in the Nugget for a conference. I requested a non-smoking room, which I got, but sadly my floor is located directly above a smoking floor. The result? My non-smoking room reeks to high heaven of smoke. NASTY! I get that Reno casinos sadly haven't entered the 21st century and joined the masses and banned smoking (they claim it's bad for business...blah, blah, blah), and I get that even the "renovated" East Tower is fairly old, but COME ON! Give your non-smoking guests a room that is truly free from the health hazardous second hand smoke by strategically placing them in relation to smoking rooms and floors or better yet, consider banning smoking outright in your hotel rooms. My room seriously smelled of smoke and it got in my clothes and hair, and nothing says "professional conference attendee" like the smell of smoke in your clothes (yes, that's sarcasm). So the pungence of the room resulted in an incredibly unpleasant stay. Would I recommend the Nugget to others? If you're a smoker, sure, book a room here because you can smoke wherever you want. If, like me, you're not a huge fan of cigarette smoke, I recommend you look for another room. The Nuggey is stinky, stinky, stinky!

• Stayed February 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Our weekend getaway was anything but pleasurable. Traderdicks meal was worse than eating Chinese Food in a Mall courtyard. Overpriced, horrible service and couldn't even eat the food. The bar allowed children to hang out and run around so a once quiet adult lounge was now a nighttime playground. The room was nice but the noise level from the room above and hallway made for little sleep. I was hoping the Rotisserie Buffet would redeem the experience. Unfortunately the waiter only came by one time to refill coffee, the food...landed me in the bathroom shortly after.
The Nugget has always been a fabulous quick getaway, it was a surprising decline and one I hope that just happened to be an evening of bad luck.

• Stayed February 2013
zephyr cove, nv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Was told this was a 4 star hotel - HA! Guided to the courtyard where there was a horrible smell on the 3rd floor - then was moved to the 2nd floor. Deep gouges in the vinyl flooring in the bathroom - dirty! Was advertised as free Wi-Fi - only one device allowed. Resort fee of $7.00 per night. Charged a Nevada entertainment tax 10% of total because live entertainment started 1/2 way through my meal. The hostess did not say a word about this and I was encouraged to sit in the bar and order my tapas. Food at Orozko was great but the service at the hotel and the room is terrible. Outdated and bit worth the $ - motel 6 would be better and much cleaner. EWill never stay here again - false advertising.

Room Tip: Please do not spend your $ - my room was unfortunately pre paid and no one was willing to take respo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked the hotel on priceline.com for 1-night stay on Saturday in mid January. Upon arrival the receptionist surprised us that the hotel is completely booked, and that we must go to a small motel across the street. We argued that this was not what we had booked, and the receptionist politely suggested to dispute it with priceline.

Across the street was an outdated 2-star motel. Our room was literally 30 feet from the freeway with loud traffic. Even in the middle of the night the noise was terrible.

Next morning we returned the key, and the receptionist told us that everything was fine and we were good to go. I did not request the receipt assuming I could rely on her word. When I got my American Express statement I discovered that they charged us additional $23.99. I called the hotel's billing and the lady informed us that $7 was the resort fee and $16.99 was a charge for watching video. I told her that we did not even turn on a television (it was such an old model that did not even cross our mind to turn it on). The lady said she was sorry but it was my responsibility to dispute it when I was checking out. She also refused to acknowledge that it was unfair to charge us $7 resort fee as we did not stay at any resort. And again we were directed to dispute the charges with priceline, not with the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just back from another great weekend staying at the Nugget. I love staying here........there is everything I want to do on the property and in the Sparks area. Shopping at the Legends Sparks Mall :) Enjoyed walking just a block to the movie theater to take in a movie. Great fun in the casino and bingo! And the beds in the East Tower are wonderful. The restaurants are all so terrific it's hard to decide which one to dine at. While I won't stay anywhere else when I visit the Reno area I will agree with the comment regarding the maintenance/cleanliness of some areas. (around slot machines and in elevators could use extra attention). I don't however agree with "the whole place reeks of smoke" ... I didn't encounter that at all. For me...........I can't wait to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to John Ascuaga's Nugget Casino Resort? Share your experiences!