“I just had to write in” 2 of 5 stars

John Ascuaga's Nugget Casino Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1100 Nugget Avenue, Sparks, NV 89431   |
Ranked #2 of 18 hotels in Sparks
Hillsborough, Nc
“I just had to write in”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2008

I wanted to write a review for this hotel because I stayed there even after I read the very scary reviews I saw on this site. I recently stayed at John Ascuaga's Nugget for National Association of Professional Organizers conference. In January I started to read reviews on this & other sites about this hotel & was very skeptical about staying there. I contacted all my colleagues and told them to check out the horrible reviews on Trip Advisor. To make a long story short I booked it. I just got back & had to write a review so here you go. I would not recommend staying there for the following reasons:
1. Way too smokey. It felt as if they did not have an air filter in the hotel. The smoke seeped into the rooms, elevators & everything in between.
2. If you stay make sure you are in the East tower. The rooms are renovated but you have a highway running right by your bedroom window. If you stay in the West tower you will have an older room & the train running by your bedroom window. The linens were clean but not spotless. There were black stains on the sheets & towels too. As soon as I walked in I checked the bed for bedbugs due to the postings on this & other sites about the problem others had. I lucked out & made it out of there without any bites.
3. If you go for a conference don’t expect great conference rooms. Seating was uncomfortable & as I stated before the smoke was everywhere.
4. There was slim picking of restaurants that were in the hotel as well.
I would not stay there or any other property affiliated with this hotel.

• Liked — The staff was friendly.
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,030 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

This was one of the worse hotels we have ever stayed at! We had a room in the Nugget Courtyard. What a joke. The elevators reminded us of the Bates hotel. The doors open before the elevator stopped. The rooms were very outdated! Since we had a child with us we usually take turns gambling but since I would have had to walk through the parking dark parking lot by myself to get to the casino we decided that we would not be gambling on this trip. :(
The pool was nice but again we felt like we had to go to a different hotel to use it ( oh ya we did do that I forgot ) Then we were charged an extra $5.00 to use it. We are over in Reno every weekend in the winter and have stayed at alot of different places here and the room was far worse then anything we have stayed at (except maybe the Lucky 7 motel ) We will not be back!!! Oh I forgot, I tried to change my room to the main hotel but the lady at the front desk in the main lobby was really rude. I wanted to get the manager but my husband wouldn't have it. I always thought that the Nugget was a nice hotel by what my parents have said but I guess it is just showing signs of neglect! SAD

• Liked — The indoor pool
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
SF
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

There are several threads about their bad experiences in this hotel's reservation. I didn't think I would be so unlucky before this trip, now I know I will never go back to this hotel.

What happened:
1. We booked the most expensive room in this hotel, but the hotel staff told me we got the cheapest one. We showed them the receipt and itinerary, but they did not care.

2. The front desk manager, Paula, did not want to hear our complaint, and she threatened to void our reservation if we did.

3. They did not want to check with travelocity or billing department to find out what happened. We asked them to call, they did not care. In the end, we called travelocity by ourselves.

4. No one at the front desk tried to help us out.

5. They asked us to step aside the window while we tried to call travelocity and the line was not busy at all (there were two other windows open, and only one customer about to check in).

6. Bad attitude, bad attitude.

We will never stay at this place again!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff w/ bad attitude
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Martinez, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

Once a month the Nugget is my home away from home while I visit my family in Reno. The staff is most hospitable, courteous, and considerate to my needs and those of my grandchildren. One of the many reasons I stay at the Nugget is their beautiful indoor pool which my grandchildren take full advantage of during my stays. The price and value is excellent. Rooms are clean. I would advise anyone who stays there to join John's Club. The monthly offers are too good to pass up.

• Liked — Price and quality
  • Disliked — the train yard on the south side
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Napa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

the Nugget is my favorite place to stay. It has everything under one roof. It has the loosest slot any where. I usually come home with a thousand.M y room are compt. I am goin Mar. 21 -24 for my birthday. I get a three day stay, $25 to spend anywhere in the Nugget and $30 free slot play. I love the people there. The food is great. I usually take m y 91 year old Mom. In Oct. we where going to stay three day and ended up staying five. We had a ball. On the lower lever is a great deli. It serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and great coffee and snacks. Open all day. It is right by the Horse parlor and has these wonderful leather bothes. I love to sit there and have coffee and a danish in the morning when my Mom is still sleeping. My Mom and Dad have went there since it opened. We go every year.
The indoor pool is fabulous. It has everything you could want.

Stayed October 2007
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2008

I was at the Nugget for a conference, and it was a great location. I didn't even need to rent a car because there was so much to do on the property. The restaurants were all very good and provided plenty of variety.

• Liked — I liked the variety of restaurants on the property.
  • Disliked — The rooms were a little out dated.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wilmington, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

I've stayed here twice, and it's just gotten worse and worse. When I arrived this year, I was told that the room I had booked with 2 queen beds for 3 people was not available and that they were sold out for the entire weekend. I was told I could check in the morning and see if one had become available. The 3rd in my party wasn't coming until the next day, so for the time being I took the room with 1 king that they had available. I got up the next morning to check for a cancellation and was told that they did not have anything for me with 2 queens, and was told that even though I booked 2 queens online, that is just a request, not a guarantee. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I had to have another bed, so my only options were to move to another hotel or book another room with 1 bed at the Nugget. I didn't feel like moving, so I booked another room, and they did not give me a reduced rate.

My friend's flights were delayed, so she did not arrive until 7pm. We went to check her in, and were told that her room wasn't ready yet. WHAT??? AT 7PM??? The lady at the front desk had the nerve to say to me, "Well, you just booked this room this morning." I LOST IT. I was asked to move to the end of the front desk area and wait for a manager. I don't normally lose it like that, but I was already paying double what I had intended to pay for the worst customer service I've ever seen in my life. About 15 minutes later, a manager strolls out and hands me room keys and gives me a room number, while looking down her nose at me the entire time. Then she says, this is one of our suites. You can have it for tonight, but tommorrow you move out. You will need to check out of it in the morning. Of course I ask what they are doing with us for the next three days, and she says that the manager on duty in the morning will have to deal with that, but that it looks like they will have a room with 2 queens for us.

My friend stayed in the suite for the night (which was actually a really cool room). The next morning, they did indeed have the proper room for us. My request for compensation of some sort was denied, of course.

All-in-all, the customer service was the worst I have ever dealt with. I know this is a casino in Reno and not a 5 star luxury resort, but COME ON! I know reservation issues arise. It happens, but at least treat me with some respect. Don't make me feel like I'm a piece of gum on the bottom of your shoe.

Oh,one other thing- I was denied parking while a guest! I was driving a large truck while I was in town, and I was told I could not park it in the LOT because they were having a special event and weren't allowing large vehicles, regardless of whether I was a guest or not. WHAT???? I had to park down the street. RIDICULOUS!!!!

I WILL NOT BE BACK AT THE NUGGET!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to John Ascuaga's Nugget Casino Resort? Share your experiences!