“Decent place to stay with pets in Reno” 4 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Excutive Reno
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3131 South Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89502   |
Ranked #31 of 65 hotels in Reno
Eastern Sierra
“Decent place to stay with pets in Reno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Although I'm not sure what is "executive" about this location, we found it a reasonable place to stay while visiting Reno for a weekend dog agility competition. The motel is a little run-down and scruffy (asphalt in parking lot not in perfect repair, exterior could use a coat of paint, bathroom a bit dingy and dated), but nothing horrible and frankly we don't care about that stuff anyway! We aren't in Reno to gamble, party, etc., and we don't care about proximity to casinos. etc. either ... so we definitely pick places to stay that don't have a resort fee. We just want someplace that is clean, safe and quiet to stay that doesn't charge us an arm and a leg because we travel with our clean, well-behaved dogs.

The Good:
-Ground floor double-queen room was quiet, clean, comfortable and plenty big. No major gross smoke-smell or coverup, unlike the last place we tried in Reno - just a faint whiff of chemical cleaner/air-freshener. Hooray!
-The room had a refrigerator! Major plus for us.
-Grassy areas nearby to walk the pooches. Nice to see these areas were clean ... YAY for cleaning up after your dogs, people!!

The Adequate:
-On-site service was no more than perfunctory, but was, well, serviceable! No complaints there, but those who need extra help, or made to feel special might feel slighted.
-Assortment of breakfast items was pretty thin, and the coffee was truly appaling ... but given the price this wasn't overly upsetting.
-Pet fee is a bummer, however the booking clerk did give us a small discount off the rack rate to partially offset the fee. We ended up paying only a few dollars more total per night here than at the supposedly uber-cheap, but also refrigerator-free and definitely disgustingly stale-smoke-stinky S. Virginia Motel 6 that is a few blocks away, where we stayed on our last trip to Reno.
-It would be nice to have a microwave in the room.

Overall, we feel we received good value here and that it was a comfortable and safe place to stay ... we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay the staff was friendly and helpful. They have good prices, pet friendly. The rooms were clean the staff made my stay more enjoyable they were ever nice and friendly to my dog. I slept really well in the bed in was ever comfortable. I would recomend this place to anyone i will come back.

• Stayed July 2013
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We found this place to be woefully inadequate. We had a ten minute wait to get our key from the somewhat cranky, aloof front desk clerk. Went to the room, opened the door, and got a huge stench of some sort of sweet spray masking heavy cigarette smoke. The room was dark, not particularly clean. Unlike others, I did not get what I paid for. I have been in much better motels for $40 a night, not $65. Rating this a 2 but it's more like a 1.5. Stay somewhere else. Wonder if the manager wrote the review from jimmy611? The a/c unit was ancient and made loud noises when it kicked in or off. Instead of an in-house restaurant, the hotel allows (encourages?) a Mexico food truck to set up in the parking lot by Virginia, turn on his generators, and cook away. I've stayed in Vagabonds in Palm Springs and Bishop, CA--both were worth the cost, but not this one by a long shot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was in town for the USBC Women's Tournament. I sub'ed for somebody late, so I wasn't able to take advantage of the bowler's special for Atlantis. I was only in Reno for two nights, two days and for that amount of time, I didn't want to pay a lot of money for a room. So the Vagabond Inn served its purpose. The tv was old and some of the channels were fuzzy. Breakfast was sparse. But like the others said - location and price is perfect!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

You can’t go wrong with this hotel. Great location, located blocks away from 2 major casinos and about a mile away from down town. Great price! (Affordable for any budget) Outstanding customer service. Front desk staff is 100%on it by making sure you’re getting the best deal in town. Great place, clean rooms, and don’t forget free breakfast 

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
stockton,ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I did not pay for this hotel but if it was any price over $50-59 then you will be disappointed.

Good
----------
Near a Walgreens
Has a bqq restaurant, Wendy's , bowling , and a 711 right across the street.
Peppermill and Atlantis right down the road
Big, clean pool
Quiet despite it being near a busy street
Near the freeway
More nicer restaurants down the street, Outback , Olive garden Ect...
Overall great location if you're going to be out and only be here to sleep.

Bad
----------
The A/C was super loud. Like snow cone truck loud.
You can hear other people's showers on
There will be several spiders in your room. We booked 3 rooms and found some in all 3.
You'll either get a fridge in your room or an ironing board. One or the other.
No tv guide, had to find an app on my iPad and guess which provider it was.
Channels weren't clear.
There's 4 pool doors but only one opens, you have to guess which one it is.
Wifi wasn't the best.
It is in a sort of questionable looking area but it is not bad.
Lots of construction going on around this time, a lot of detours.
Not enough towels, and they are small.
Toilets are really low! For the older folks or just anyone in general.
Toilets are old and it feels like its going to overflow with every flush.
Make sure to bring your own shampoo, soap, toothpaste Ect, they don't give you enough.
Some non smoking rooms smell smokey

Sleep
----------
Didn't really sleep good due to the loud A/C and the beds were a little hard.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at the vagabond inn In Reno NV and let me just share my experience with you. If you’re looking to have a quick fun get away or just a simple business trip I recommend you stay at the vagabond inn. What differentiates this hotel from any other major hotels I have stayed at is there amazing customer service. At the vagabond Inn they really go the extra mile to make you feel right at home. There customer service is unique, meaning you get happy people at all time. There staff is very friendly and very humble, they really made me feel like they wanted my business and the best part is the treated me as a valued customer. Not to mention that there room are exceptionally clean and very nice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Vagabond Inn Excutive Reno? Share your experiences!