“Quick trip to Reno” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, Washington
“Quick trip to Reno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Decided to come to Reno last minute for a quick day trip. Was very very cold in town the day I was there (1/19). Arrived at the hotel at about 7:30PM. Check in was a breeze as there was no line whatsoever. Room on the 10th floor was complementary, 1046 I believe it was. Nice room, but was at the end of the zig-zagging hallway was a bit of a hike to the elevator. Was only in town about 15 hours. Played a bit of the tables at Harrah's and the Cal-Neva across the street and ended up in the positive a few hundred bucks for the trip! Next time I'm in Reno I will be staying at Harrahs!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I would have given this a much higher rating except for the poor customer service. I arrived tired and late and no-one was staffing the front desk. There was one person at the "VIP" desk, but he never acknowledged my presence or made any attempt to get help. Other staff people came and went and also ignored me. After 10 minutes, someone finally showed up. I had pre-paid for my one night, and assured the clerk I would have no incidentals but they insisted I needed to provide a credit card for the $2.00 local tax and wouldn't let me pay cash. The room rate was great and the room was very nice. BUT, good news/bad news: pod coffee makers now in the room, but a $1.50 charge to make coffee. I usually just need hot water for tea. No dice. (oh, a pun!) Another positive: free self-service parking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ventura, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you are a picky traveler wanting only updated decor and furniture in your room, then you won't be happy here. But if you don't care about all that and simply want a clean room, good service and a very nice view downtown, then this place should work for you.

My husband and I were in town for 5 days and stayed in room 2204 (west tower). Wonderful view from our room overlooking downtown Reno and the mountain range.

We're always picky about safety, the bed, the floors and the bathroom. The rest is not really important to us since we don't spend much time in our room anyway. This room was clean, the white faux down comforter was spotless, crisp and clean. Nice. The bed was not great, but also did not cause us any aches or pains. We slept well. The carpet looked and smelled clean to us. There was instant warm water in the bathroom sink & shower. The A/C and heater worked really well for a constant and comfortable temperature without drying us out.

There was a flat screen TV with cable channels. The room has been kept up nicely (ceiling, walls, moulding, drapes and everything works fine), but I suspect they don't have money to update the furniture and decor. We laughed about the "fuzzy lamp" hanging in front of the windows. One of the memories of our trip!

Kudos to the employees at the registration desk and valet who were very helpful and friendly coming and going.

I cannot rate the eating establishments since we did not eat at the hotel. We were with local friends so mostly ate meals with them at Atlantis. Besides, it seems Harrah's buffet is not open every day. However, we did utilize the Starbucks located on the 2nd floor near the west tower elevators. The one-cup-at-a-time coffee maker inside the room sufficed in a pinch. I guess it's better than nothing in the morning until we could venture out elsewhere for a fresh brewed cup.

Inside the hotel is a Hertz rental kiosk (not a person at a window). This was helpful since we had reserved a vehicle in advance online and the car was ready in the hotel parking garage where we picked it up and returned it. Unbelievably easy.

An unexpected snow storm came through one day, making crosswalks slippery if on foot downtown, but still we played slots across the street at Cal Neva and El Dorado. We played table games at Harrah's and had a very enjoyable time with the dealers, cocktail waitresses and other patrons, but didn't do well monetarily, causing us to walk away after about one hour.

Nothing in the hotel seemed odd to me. No unfriendly smells. No messes. Casino restroom facilities worked well, were stocked and routinely kept clean like most major hotel casinos are.

We do not regret staying at Harrah's one bit and would stay there again. We utilized our Total Rewards points to pay for part of our room charges. But we might stay somewhere else next time just for diversity and to be closer to our local friends' home.

Room Tip: Room 2204 in the West Tower provides a view of downtown and mountain range to the west. It's ab...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Campbell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I haven't been to Reno in a very long time. My mission: attend the Reno Santa Pub Crawl. I survived in case you want to know. Most hilarious and provocative event I have ever attended. Harrah's is one of the oldest hotels in the City. Nothing like Vegas, but never the less, a spark of high life. The hotel has been updated in the West Tower but not the East Tower where I stayed. However, room was very clean, bed made to the T. Carpets pretty darn clean...I did the sock test. Didn't like the idea of no separate vanity area, but overall pretty pristine and a nice abundance of towels. Keep that in mind when you have a guest! View was the east hills and the older downtown area near the creek. This is not a resort view, but a hard look at what this city is all about...highs and lows...winners and losers.
Room service for breakfast was really amazing. Hearty portions, more than enough cream and sugar for your coffee along with a nice variety of condiments. Served hot and fresh.
No resort fee and if you love beer pong, this is your place. Seems to cater to a little younger crowd but gambling is my thing so I had fun and won!!
Customer service was excellent and they were able to provide early check in at no additional charge. Rooms are a great price especially if you make reservations online. Be prepared to walk a bit to your room which I didn't appreciate, especially after a few Bloody Mary's...ha ha
Overall, nice visit and I would stay again...Viviann

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The grandor that was Reno is of another day, sadly that can be said of Harrahs as well. What was once a jumpin' destination is now a stop along the way. What was once a flagship hotel of a city is now a $43 a night budget hotel. We drove in from Vegas on the way home after New Years and upgraded toa suite - as large as a small home. It was a screamin' deal at $150 a night- in room hot tub, walk in glassed shower, stocked "free" mini fridge & 1/2 off buffet. View of city lights and much more, but the hotel whose markee once shouted " Sammy - Frank- Dean - Cosby" ... and a slew of other greats is now a worn and tired old lady in a worn and tired town. The crowds of the 60's, 70's & 80's are gone - left are empty streets and in January a bone crushing cold. I loved Reno in those days but as Woodsworth said, " It is better to remember the splendor of the grass, the glory of the flower than to grieve in what remains behind."

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is long overdue for demolition. The lobby casino is thick with choking cigarette smoke and stinks like an old ashtray, execpt for the lobby near the east tower elevators. There the restrooms were obviously having plumbing problems as we could smell sewage throughout the lobby area. Every time we came near this area we had to hold our breath until we passed. That only lasted for 3 days! The elevators also stink of old cigarettes. The room was clean, but the shower was in disrepair and the ceiling was falling into the shower stall. It's a slum hotel, appropriately situated in the slum part of Reno. Never stay downtown again, and will never choose Harrah's. They apparently allow homeless people to get out of the cold weather by allowing them to hang around the lobbity casino. Kudos for their charitable overlook, but it does not add to a quality stay in Reno. The staff is very nice, friendly and helpful. It's the hotel that needs to be fired.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of Reno, closeby to the Circus Circus, Silver Legacy, Eldorado, Cal Neva etc. The check-in/check-out was really prompt which was a plus. Most hotels are like this so I wasn't really surprised or anything. A good thing about this place was the price, we got it for about $30 a night which really saved us a lot of money!

This hotel was pretty nice except that there's no wifi avaliable. I had to live on McDonald's wifi and I only went to McDonald's once in my 3 days. There is wifi avaliable but it costs $10 a night. You were warned! Also, something else that caught my eye was that they ACTUALLY charge you $3 for drinking a water bottle, when I saw that picture in the album I thought that person was joking but they weren't...anyways the stay here was very nice and I like staying in hotel rooms because you can leave the light in the bathroom on and the heater is also really nice.

What was weird about this hotel was that they had a list on the back of the door that listed all the prices of the things in the room and if you wanted to keep the item, you just take it and you get charged..maybe I've just never seen it before but it was weird...a bad thing though was my dad wanted to go get some ice from the ice container; all of the ice melted and my dad saw that there was dirt of some sort in the water which was REALLY gross I even took a picture of it. Other than the gross water, this place really wasn't that bad. I would definitely come back here to stay(: JUST DON'T DRINK THE WATER IN THE ICE BUCKET!

Room Tip: West Tower is a long walk from the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harrah's Reno? Share your experiences!