“Vintage Harrahs” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Vintage Harrahs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This Harrahs hotel and casino is the original property in the Harrahs chain. It has been added on to in bits and pieces - sort of like lean-tos in the olden days. The staff is proud of its history and it was interesting to know that I was at the beginning. That said, you should not expect a Las Vegas-type venue. It is small, midweek, it was quiet, the Noodle Bar closed at 8 p.m.
On the positive side, the staff is very attentive. I received a welcoming phone call the day before I arrived; my "account executive" found and greeted me while I was there and he called me at home a few days later. Another staffer personally invited me to come and participate in some free spins for prizes. I had a really nice big room and it was immaculate I was passing through enroute to Squaw Valley and I was only there for 24 hours but I had a good time and I would stop again..

Room Tip: My room was a corner suite and a bit of a distance from the elevator. I did not have any noise issu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights. The rooms were a little dated, as were the rest of the hotel corridors. We paid $10/day extra to stay in the West Building, but it didn't seem to be worth the extra cost. My girlfriend enjoyed their massage service. The buffet is average (nothing compared to Vegas!). Overall, it was a fun stay

• Stayed August 2012
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is now an "older" property, but the staff are the best-trained one could find anywhere. Everyone, from the slot techs to the executive staff, greets guests with a "Hello!" and a big smile. The rooms are well maintained and the housekeeping staff seems to really care. We've been staying at this property for almost 25 years and just love going back.

Room Tip: West tower is older but better. Upper floors all have refrigerators.
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Passing through on our way with my fiance to Portland and stopped in Reno for the night. The room was okay for what the price was. It was comfortable and the shower and bathroom also was decent. It wasn't the best hotel but the proximity to all of Reno's nightlife and gaming made it worth it. Room Service was perfect the next morning after drinking and gambling all night.

Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Hotel itself was nice, friendly staff, comfortable room. However, Reno itself is not a place I would visit again unless passing through on the way to somewhere else(which we were).The streets around are dark and dreary, didn't really feel safe walking more than to the casino next door.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my first trip to Reno. I was there for 3 nights starting 10/21/2012. I looked at the reviews for hotels in Reno and decided to stay at Harrah's Reno. Harrah's got a middle of the road review, not very good and not very bad. I was very pleased with my room. It was on the 23rd floor and clean and quiet. One bad thing was the TV. The channels were limited and like all Ceasar's properties they cater to the Asians. with a lot of asians channels. Check in was fast and friendly. Casino was small and slots were tight. Shuttle service was great. Reno itself is on the down in downtown. I did not feel like I wanted to walk around at night.

Room Tip: Ask for the west tower, because the casino is better there.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bonita, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Reno is a depressed area at least in the area around Harrahs. The room was ok, as long as you just wanted a room to sleep. The noise in the hallways is loud as others walk by and are talking. If you are a light sleeper this is not the hotel for you. The staff is the friendliest I think I have run across. All of the staff smiles and says hi to you as you encounter them throught the hotel. We went here for business, so we did not spend much time in the room. There is a free local bus out side the casino and it takes you to the college and a little further downtown. It was fun to take the 15 minute round trip ride as we saw a little bit of the area. The food in the buffet was good and overall the hotel was good. Good is all I can rate it. I would not stay here again unless my other options turned out to be not avalible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business