“good value for a no-frills stay” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   345 N Arlington Ave, Reno, NV 89501   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 65 hotels in Reno
Sacramento
“good value for a no-frills stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We have stayed here as a couple twice, both times on holiday weekends (Memorial Day and Labor Day). Part of the reason we stayed at this particular hotel/casino was because they still had rooms available on short notice for holiday weekends.

The basic rooms are just that: basic. They are a good value for the room rate in a tourist town like Reno. They are clean, but plain. No granite countertops or down pillows here. The bed was comfortable and the linens were always clean. Could have used a few more pillows (they were small). No coffeemaker, fridge, or microwave in the room. Cleaning staff were efficient.

There is always a line at registration, but they had every station staffed and their front desk staff were efficient.

The pool area was nice but not super fancy. The pool itself was kept sparkling and clean. They have a bar in the pool area that serves alcohol. No lifeguards on duty. Plenty of deck chairs and a few cabanas. Would be improved by having some music playing. There is a volleyball area but we never saw it in use.

The casino itself is definitely outdated when compared to the Silver Legacy or Harrah's. Dim, the ceiling is mirrored, layout is a little strange. They have CRT (non-flatscreen) tvs throughout the place playing a strange mix of 80s and 90s music videos. Not a bad casino, but it just feld...odd and outdated.

736 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've stayed at the Sands several times and for the money I don't think you could do much better. The staff are efficient and friendly, and the rooms are clean and updated. There is a buffet with a different theme each night, but best of all is Mel's Diner which has great food and the best chocolate malts.

• Stayed September 2013
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed one night at the Sands in Reno, NV. I was really worried after reading some of the reviews but I have to say that the room I had was smoke free, linens and bath were clean and staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating. The carpet in the room was stained especially at the doorway and probably should be replaced and the ice machine leaked so there was water on the floor which could have been a hazard. I did inform a staff member but he apparently didn't understand or just didn't bother and it was not cleaned up. Other than that, my stay was fine. The buffet was excellent and the waiter couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. I would probably stay here again if I return to Reno. I also have to say I didn't feel the casino was unsafe or that there were "unsavory" characters as stated in some of the other reviews. There were a lot of security people and they were friendly and one even escorted me to my car when I checked out at 4am. Very friendly and helpful staff all around.

Room Tip: I was given room 812 which was right around the corner from the elevators and the ice machine and ve...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Visited in August 2013. Paid $75 for two nights. Requested and received non-smoking and quiet room on 16th floor.
Room and service was better than expected for this $$.
During the first day two of the three elevators were not working for a few hours and it took a long wait to get to the room. The fixed it by next day.

Just for laughs. The toilet dispenser was located just below the lavatory, so it is almost impossible to wash hands without making the toilet paper wet. Fortunately, they had another roll available.
Overall - good value for the $$ and that is it.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sands for 10 days, check in was quick & my request on the room were met.Only a couple of complaints was a stained sheet on the bed, did not impress me & a shredded bath mat was a little tacky,other than that the room was fine & the housekeeping people were friendly. Was not too happy with whom every comes around about 7:30-8:00 am in the morning checking rooms & slamming the doors. Bell desk guys were just great as per usual, always happy to help. Tried two of the restaurants , Mel`s diner has disgusting food, I refused to eat one meal they served me,chicken fried steak do not eat this as it was just plain horrible,someone from the kitchen can out after I complained to the waiter & asked me you got a problem with your meal,wow what manners. I will never eat there again let alone recommended it to anyone. Cabana food was decent,but I noticed the seniors menu has change a bit , somewhat disappointing no real deals there at all anymore. Cage people were helpful and polite all the time as were the people dealing with the players tracking cards.Cocktail waitresses were always around it seemed to me ,never had a problem getting a beverage. Still shades of shady looking people hanging around inside and outside of the Hotel at all times. Overall I would say my stay was okay this time, I usually enjoy it, except for the food & being woken up by the door slamming in the mornings , the Hotel & Casino could kick it up a notch.Not sure if I will be back next year , as I have been staying at the Sands for over 20 years or more maybe, need more incentives to come back. Would I recommend this Hotel, in most cases yes the price is right,but there is lots of room for improvement,if they want people to return in the future.

Room Tip: Stay in the Empress part of the Hotel, it seems cleaner & the elevators always seem to be workin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

When we got to our room we looked around the room. The sheets on the bed were dirty and a bug was crawling on it. The carpet was filthy. We got moved to another room that smelled like someone had been smoking in it. Spent forty minutes just getting a room. I would not go back.

• Stayed August 2013
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

More than anything I would like to comment on a young lady who assisted us during our visit to the Sands. We have stayed here many times over the years and have always had very good service, but this time was exceptional. We arrived early afternoon and of course our assigned room was not available due to housekeeping. Were told that it should be available in 1-2 hours, but could check the room now with the maid. Tha maid was working next door and our room just needed the beds made to include final preparation. We were gone for a couple of hours, grabbed our bags & such and headed to our room. WOW!!!!! Nothing had been done. I went down to the front desk and discussed with Ana, who went to work on finding a solution. In no time, we were headed off to another room and could finally relax and start to enjoy our stay. Super job, Ana!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SandsRegency, Public Relations Manager at The Sands Regency Casino Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We pride ourselves on having excellent staff and are pleased to read that you feel the same way. We will pass this positive review on to Ana. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you back soon!

Been to The Sands Regency Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!