“Average plus budget hotel with limited service” 3 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   345 N Arlington Ave, Reno, NV 89501   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 65 hotels in Reno
Redding, California
“Average plus budget hotel with limited service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Sands had cleaner room during this stay :-). They have raised the prices on the seniors menu. An ice cream was $.50 on our last stay and was $.99 this stay. Depending on who serves you and when; the cone can be large or small. They had some free party favors of cupcakes and a special bar drink and plastic cup (these folks were quite friendly). The bartender at the bar - back by the front hotel desk - was in a bad mood and treated us very badly (3:20pm). I told him I no longer wanted a drink from him, as I did not understand his rude behavior. The woman bartender in the front area by the gambling tables was sweet and polite. We were kept awake both nights by a yelling couple in room 1189. We had 1191. When we called the Front Desk (2:30 am) and complained that a woman was screaming: "call 911"; no action was taken- (the woman clerk said she would contact "Security") ..?? I finally pounded on the door and they finally stopped. The hotel recently changed ownership. I believe the management is trying to do a good job with very limited resources and a few employees are 'jaded'; not realizing they may 'kill' their own jobs. I would go back (I am deaf); however, my wife says: "never again!" the "2for1" food coupons only covered select restaurants and those restaurants were not open on some days.This hotel caters to very budget minded folks; such as myself, however, a number of us seem to lack 'social graces'; thinking only of the immediate.I will return only with my men friends.

Room Tip: We thought higher room may be quieter; but not so this time?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

737 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was at the Sands as I go up there once a month. Decided to give the Copa the final last try after 2 dinners already. Ordered Soup, got my soup, being raised in North Beach San Francisco, I asked for cheese for my soup, I was appalled, Was told CHEESE IS EXTRA $. Are you f______ kidding me. If you had a restaurant in North Beach, they would have shut you down. Cheese is on every table in abundance. As I was eating my soup.......here comes my entree....Hello...I haven't eaten my soup yet. Ordered pasta, the waitress asked if I wanted cheese....I of course asked is it extra $??? She was affended. I WILL NEVER EAT AT THE COPA AGAIN. Management please pay attention.... Maybe we should have Chef RAMSEY come up there and help you out!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Unionville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a great play to stay and play in between doctor appts. We travel 350 miles round trip and need 2 days in town the rates are wonderful for this purpose. Their handicap rooms are great for my 87 yr old Mom to get around in by herself - (lots of room for her walker and wheelchair) The bellhop men (Greg and Andrew) are wonderful getting our luggage in and out of our room.
On the NEGATIVE SIDE - the Internet service they provide (Hotel Internet) is "horrible" I bought a 1 day pass for 10.00 and was able to get on the internet approx 1 hr. I spent most of the time on the phone with the internet service trying to get me connected and they were unsuccessful and kept sending me to the "supervisor back up" which I would immediately get disconnected and would have to call back, this is the ONLY BAD EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD WITH THE SANDS

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Round Mountain, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I come to Reno at least once a month. Altho I am a Nevada resident, I live quite a distance from Reno and have to stay one or two nights. I chose the Sands because the prices are great and it is convenient to most of the places I need to go. There is loads of parking and the lot is well lit. Altho the hotel is old and it could use some updating the staff is friendly and make you feel like family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Slight problem with first room, but rather than making us wait for maintenance, theY solved it with a room change, which is so much nicer than hoping they can fix it and still having to change later. This was our third visit to the Sands with no less than a positive experience every time.

• Stayed January 2013
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Got a $49.00 room on a Saturday night at the Sand's Regency Hotel/Casino. Great price, but by the time they add the taxes it's $57....just saying. The hotel is directly smack-dab next to the lowered train tracks that use to be street level. Trains were, what seemed, every hour and even two trains at once going in different directions! The rumble and noise woke us up all throughout the night.

On a Saturday at check-in time at 3pm there was a line to check-in. We were given the wrong room and had to stand in line all over again. Okay....can hang with that, but no apologies of any sort. A bit later the line was just outrageous.

The rooms are large and very basic. No refrigerators. No HBO. No WIFI. In this day of technology being what it is these casino's still want to charge you extra for WIFI?!? You have plenty of hot water at night, but in the morning it's just above luke warm.

The air quality in the casino is terrible so be prepared. The bartender was very nice and there seems to be locals that hang at the bar. The buffet was a Saturday Steak Buffet at $11.99 and possibly the worst buffet I'd ever been to...honestly. Sounds good that someone comes and asks how you want your steak, you tell them, and they return with this mall flat grisely piece of cow! The small selection the rest of the buffet were just as bad. I'm not kidding.

If you stay here, don't eat here, don't gamble here and don't breathe the air. Stay here and go someplace else to have fun. Prepare yourself so it doesn't bum out your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room the furthest away from the railroad tracks!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SYDNEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Sayed at the sands before and I allways go back price is unbeatable rooms always clean ,rooms are large the views of Reno out the window great all the staff 5 stars,only one problem they need to give free wifi ,$10 a day come on please move with the times? come on the sands,get with It..........................................the best bed everrrrrrr comfortable and linen great too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Sands Regency Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!