“Hot August Nights 2012” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Reno
Coquitlam, Canada
“Hot August Nights 2012”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have blocked off space for a group from Canada every two years at this hotel without any problems but it seems that it has changed hands now and they would not block off space so 8 people stayed at other places like Circus Circus -only 4 of us stayed at the Sands - we were told we would have rooms side by side - ours was on the 12th floor and theirs was on the 15th !!! - The other couple were not given our messages when they checked in later than we did either - the rooms seem to be newly painted and re decorated and are large (we were in Dynasty Tower) and we really like Mels diner - the A/C is sooo loud and old and on all night in August !!! Our room was near the elevator and we got all the noise from people in the hallway !!! I think that next time we will be looking elsewhere as the advantages that we got by staying at the Sands are not there now.

Room Tip: don't stay near the elevator and ask if the ice machine is working on your floor - it was not w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
California Hot Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

You cant beat the prices of this hotel.. No resort fees either. Our room was so retro and what I mean by that is i think they have not updated the decor since the early 60;s. It brought back memories of me as a child traveling to Reno with my parents. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. What I liked most about it is that it was so crowded like the bigger casinos are. We will defintely stay here again. One word of advise though we didnt realize at the time there are 2 towers and when we cked in we werent told where to go, so we got confused finding our room, but once the confusion was gone we were happy. Oh the buffet was great too. Got a free one when we booked our room, but the prices are very good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

While its likely well known among travellers to Reno as an economy hotel ( ie: don't expect top drawer facilities ), the Sands Regency can have some nevertheless surprising disappointments. I just spent a week there ( Nov 5th to 11th 2012 ). On my check out day, I was in the shower about 8:30 a.m. about to rinse off a well soaped body and shampoo lathered hair when the water started to run cold. No amount of tap adjusting could get warmer water and in no time the water was running pure cold. There was little sympathy or even an apology from the front desk when I checked out, though they did offer a modest meal voucher as compensation. The latter is not important but travellers choosing the Sands should be aware the water problem can happen. One final note: Sound-proofing between rooms is below standard. If you're unfortunate enough to have noisy neighbors ( mine were adolescent kids who were allowed to stay up way late), you may have your sleep time interrupted. If you're on the railroad track side of the hotel, you will definitely be awakened by the Amtrak roaring by at any hour of the night.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from elevators ( in the event of fire, you won't want to use them anyway ); Fo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Butte Meadows, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I have spent a lot of time traveling to the Reno Area the last two years. Mostly on family business. Probably 15 trips in that time frame. We started using the Sands Regency for about 11 of those trips. A very affordable place a couple of blocks off Virginia Street. Staff is friendly and it has some good dining places. Mels is always serving up some good coffee house food, the Copa Bar and Grill is nice as are the other places. They have pet friendly rooms, a pool and hot tub outside. I feel the games and slots give you a sporting chance. At casinos if you join a players club, you get perks back, some are small some are big. At the Sands you can get cards in the mail every so often offering rooms at rates of $19 to $30 a night for many nights through out the year. We were up during Hot August Nights, room rates were very reasonable and the food was very good. It was nice to see a lot of cars that people put a lot of hard work into. Now back to the Sands. If your expectations aren't to high, this is really a pretty nice place, but it needs to over come a few things to be better. Reservations, you make them, get a confirmation number. show up and you can find your King bed has turned into two double Queens. Now there is the pool and hot tub area. Kids don't have a lot to do at most casinos. They need access to the pool. Adults though need adult time. Sands offers this one day a week for a couple of hours at their pool party. Hey Sands folks, I think you forgot who pays the bills there. Give the adults just a couple hours a day. We want the kids there, but it is nice to get a little time without them. Now the bar at the pool. It's real operating time is anyones guess. They have hours posted, but the roll up doors are rolled down a lot. You don't charge a drink to your room, they want you to bring your wallets and purses around so people can get into them when your not looking. Towels, bring your own. They do supply them, but it takes far to long to replace them and they run out often and for long periods of time. To be fair my wife and I as I said spent several times at the Sands and most of them were pretty good times. This time not so much. We are thinking we will save the Sands for trips when the weather is cooler and when we want to use the pool, go to another place. If your expectations are higher the Grand Sierra has just put $25,000,000 into remodling. The Peppermill is a great place. I have several friends that love how Atlantis treats them. The Circus Circus, Silver Legacy and Eldorado are tied together with very nice above ground walkways. You can travel through three casinos without stepping outside. If you want to pay less the Sands Regency is pretty nice most of the time.

Room Tip: Pet friendly rooms are on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Sands Casino has had the best deals on comps. I love how easy it is to earn points that don't expire to be used in their buffet. I also enjoy the regular free nights offers they send me which I try to use as often as possible. Their jacuzzi in their health center is the best in Reno for the best massage. I don't know if I'm just lucky or Sands has the loosest slots, but I always win when I play at the Sands.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

we have not been to reno in about 20 years.the reason is that it was dirty and had to walk alot.but we went down in july 2012 and was very surprise by the cleansness of the whole town we stayed at the sands anthe d was very surprise at the level of friendlyand helpful and the how clean the whole place was. It started at the front desk as I got one day earier then planned they change everything for us,the was big and very clean. the service we got was out of this world. we are going back in sept ands that is where we are staying

Room Tip: depens on your needs or what you want remember you are there to have and sleep in the room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alturas, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

The casino is a great value for the price, older casino but clean and restaurants have great food at a very reasonable price. Its a low key place, I want to try the Bingo sometime, friends say its great. Strawberry Daquaris are great too.

Room Tip: I always ask to stay in the Empress tower - its newer
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Sands Regency Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!