“Security issues” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 65 hotels in Reno
Seattle
“Security issues”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The inside of the room clean and cute. My issue was that the whole place felt insecure. I reserved a room on line, found the owner at the pub and paid up. I did not see anyone else at the area where my room was so I asked her if there were others staying at the motel. She said that there were "about 45" people staying although there are 4 (very) separate motels. I went to the room and it was cute, seemed plenty comfortable. The locks were flimsy and there was no deadbolt lock. Worse, I noticed that the window in the back bathroom would not close. It looked as though someone had broken in through it. I went back to the pub and she offered to move me to another room. But this room had the exact same problem. There was no way to secure the window, and again, it looked as if it had been broken in to. The place felt even stranger to me because no one was around - and as a lone single woman this made it feel all the more unsafe - no one would have heard me if I had screamed, and there was no phone in the room. I left for dinner, mulling it over, thinking some more of these "45" people might show up by the time I returned. I came back after 9 pm and still no one was there - and I couldn't find the owner. It just didn't feel right. I grabbed my bags and left, finding another room in a chain (perfectly clean and secure) at a lower price (and, unlike Wildflower, the chain hotel included a good breakfast). By now it was late - I should have called anyway though I doubt it would have made any difference. Long story short, I returned the next morning to return the key and express my disappointment. I had hoped to get my money back but of course that wasn't going to happen. Along with my security concerns, I mentioned that the room was very hot and she told me about the air conditioner - as though this would have solved all the problems. Had this owner made any attempt to at least meet me halfway, I would have given a better review here. But instead I ended up paying full price for a room with serious security problems that I never used. I would strongly encourage visitors to stay elsewhere. There are plenty of rooms in the same price range that are not only nicer and include more ammenitites, but are far safer as well.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I wish I had stumbled upon this place sooner. It's very spread out and just off the 3CL bus. Everything is darling - from the wine bottles that make up one of the building walls to the artwork and sunflowers everywhere. They just opened a pub as well, although it isn't your traditional dimly lit Irish Pub - it is in an art gallery.

LOVE LOVE LOVED the cafe. I was so far behind on e-mails and work and the WiFi in the cafe was very fast. It was nice and quiet and a great place to catch up on the real world. There is a bar nearby with great specials (personal pizza and a huge double pint of Sierra Nevada for $5 bucks) as well as a gas station and Mexican resto.

BTW the muffins at the cafe were awesome. Free coffee in the morning. Pat is awesome! Very genuine, friendly woman.

It is borderline hostel/motel. There aren't really any living area/common areas near the rooms. I wouldn't have minded some patio furniture outside and maybe a sofa or something in the rooms to encourage mingling with other travelers (they were a bit tight for four people) but very clean. There are ants in the bathroom, but being from Florida I know that in warm climates they are impossible to get rid of and just part of life. Microwave, sink and mini fridge were provided in the female dorms (no stove though). Comfy beds (although a bit small).

I know $30 isn't that much, but most other US hostels cap the rate at $20 (and often include a pancake breakfast or oatmeal, etc...in addition to coffee) so it was a little more than the average. Still, overall a great experience and I will book again next year when I return to Burning Man.

Room Tip: I had room 20 on the hill. I think some have better views of the valley than others so ask Pat!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Chester, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here because of the good reviews and the funky nature but i was sorely disappointed. the room was clean but extremely dated there is no ventilation in the bathroom instead a air conditioner that blew in and could not be turned off The windows did not close properly and we did not feel secure. It always worries me when the hotel uses normal keys and can only find 1 set. the bed was so worn out it felt like it sagged to the floor we could have slept better on the tile floor. the curtains were about worthless at 630am as bright as mid day in the desert. the shower was dark and the shower head was about 5 ft high and even my wife has to bend down wash her hair. the walls are paper thin and a couple with kids came in at 1130 and the kids made noise for hours. Check in was a mess and the coffee shop/ office looked like a frat house kitchen and took 20+ just to check in. we left at 730 and could not find any one to check us out so we ened up leaving keys on the table. with as many name brand and profesional hotels and motels in reno there are much better choices.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

True, The Wildflower is whimsical and funky. And Pat is a sweetheart. But when I tried to check out at its coffee shop, the barista/desk clerk was more involved in a personal conversation with someone at the drive-up window. I stepped away for a few minutes in the hope that she'd be finished when I returned. When i did she was on a personal phone call. She ended that quickly and took payment for the room.

So perhaps laid back to a fault.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Pat, the proprietor, was wonderful! She was gracious, thoughtful, and accommodating. Pat's place reminds me of a bohemian retreat. The little coffee shop is quite cozy. While it's not exactly nestled in the woods, it is close to the river, and many of the rooms afford one with a sense of charm from yesteryear. The rooms are all somewhat different which enhances the uniqueness inherent in this establishment. The location is great, if your not one who needs to be in the thick of the activity of downtown Reno. If your one of those who needs to be downtown, a short drive puts you there. If you like being close to the activity without being "in" the activity, this place can serve very well while allowing one the opportunity to enjoy the Canadian geese flying overhead, the occasional rabbit hopping across your path, and a skyline unencumbered by buildings and bright lights. While I didn't get to see the art galleries at the Wildflower first hand when we were there the first time, I'd certainly consider a repeat visit in order to do so at a later date. Also, I heard from my partner that the coffee shop muffins were superb -- and he generally doesn't care much for sweets. I WAS able to enjoy the tasty hot tea, however, at that time sweets weren't allowable given a health condition I was dealing with.

Room Tip: Rooms farther removed from road offer more privacy and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This is a great place to get away from the city and still be close. I had the dorm up on the hill, very senic views each morning, dark night skys, and the occasional company of Canada geese, rabbit and small lizard. Laundry was free and one cup of tea (or coffee) in the morning as well, plus a computer to check email made this place special. You can make simple meals, go to nearby places for food or visit the city for things to do. Or just relax. Staff is always ready to help and the art gallery is great to browse for that special piece. City bus gets there but does not run past 9:15 pm in the evenings. I would go back anytime.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Monterey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

It is across the road from the river, and easy access from the highway. Rated the location average because it is not close to the city center, but it removes you from the frenetic neons. It would depend on what you consider a good location. Art galleries, coffee shop, and parking. Interesting whiff of odor in the back outside, though. I booked a hostel room which offers an excellent rate, and got a cup of coffee in the morning! The hostel room was a very clean room with kitchen, bath, and two beds and I was the only person. Unique artistic touch in the interior decoration. Love the bathroom mirror! Cozy quilts. Over all I must say it was excellent. It is a sprawling compound with everything including moving truck rentals. Flexible and nice people. Personable. In a few years, it will develop into something even better!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Wildflower Village Hotels and Hostel? Share your experiences!