“Ok, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 65 hotels in Reno
Croghan, NY
“Ok, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent the night here while overnight in Reno. Chose this motel by price and decent reviews. Office staff was very helpful and pleasant. Room was small but clean. Bare basics... Tv reception was poor on many channels. Was apprehensive about how safe and secure we were ...seemed a bit sketchy.

• Stayed June 2013

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have family here so have stayed a few times. Its convenient to walk to the casinos (Peppermill, Atlantis), clean, friendly and quiet on the pool side. standard Motel 6 features. Good price and great location for downtown exploring.

Room Tip: stay on the pool side, away from the intersection
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a fairly new resident to Reno, I've had multiple stays at this property while I'm searching for an apartment and a full-time job.

For the most part, it's just another Motel 6, but I've stayed in all three locations in Reno and this is by far the best out of all of them. The location is excellent - on the corner of a very busy intersection, Virginia Street and Plumb Lane, with major shopping centers, restaurants, and the Peppermill casino all within a stone's throw.

Staff members and management are great - Troy, Anthony and Tammy are really nice people and always helpful.

All in all, an great place to stay. I've found that the rooms on the back side are slightly quieter, as you'll get less noise from the roads.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Chose to stay here as opposed to all the alternative casino resorts which were much more pricey than I expected for Reno. Stayed here to attend a 5-day conference at the Peppermill Resort. I requested a room with a small fridge and microwave which was very convenient in that I didn't have to eat out three times a day. I really appreciated that. Room was clean with the very basics--towels, soap, and TP. Don't think there was even any tissue/Kleenex but I wasn't looking for anything fancy either. No issues with the staff. They were helpful when I had questions. I also paid a few dollars extra to have internet access so that I could work on my laptop. No problems with it either. I can't recall the exact price for 24 continuous hours of internet access but it was reasonably priced also ($4?). The motel is conveniently within walking distance (across the street and then a few steps beyond) to a grocery store, a park where I went running (about 1 mile around the pond), and to Peppermill Resort (less than a mile away which isn't a big deal to me and I like to fit in my exercise when I can). I had a room towards the back of the building away from the busy streets so didn't have a problem with that as per some of the other reviews. My only complaint was for the first couple of nights, some of the other occupants were a bit noisy but once the weekend passed, it was much better. Cant have much control over some of the clientele, I guess, given the price. The noise eventually subsided later in the night and I was well rested anyhow. As a single woman visiting, I didn't venture out at night but overall, I felt safe in that area during the day. There always seemed to people walking along or jogging so didn't have any concerns walking to Peppermill in the morning and evening before the sun went down.

Room Tip: Request a room not along the major cross streets. Some rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Arrived late and checked in without checking location. This motel 6 is actually in the middle of a very trafficked junction with noise 24H and too far outside center Reno for comfort. Rooms are poorly insulated, small but everything works and at $35 a night and free parking outside, it just barely suffices.

• Stayed February 2013
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have a 2 yr old and being from CA, we definitely wanted a non-smoking room. So we reserved a non-smoking room, and when we checked in, I specifically asked again that it is a non-smoking room, right? And the clerk said yes. We go to the room and voila, it's a smoking room. We were already so tired and it was a packed weekend so we were going to just suck it up. But I thought I'd give the front-desk a try. I said that I was very disappointed that she lied to me about the smoking room. She said she was very sorry and that I would talk to the manager in the morning to get a refund or she could give me a refund now. What good would that do, all the rooms in town were already filled that night, where could we go?

So we started to unpack but just a few minutes later, we couldn't take it anymore. I was literally choking, my eyes were blurring, and I was going to pass out, except the smell was so strong that I dont think I could've stayed passed-out as I would be choked awake. So I called the front desk again and said that I have a 2 yr old and whether they could perhaps let us take a room that someone else hasn't checked in yet. It took a few minutes but finally she found us another room, which we rushed into. It was literally like being brought back alive. Later that night, another guest tried to get into our room but we said it was ours. I think the front-desk changed shifts and they didn't update the room numbers. ANyhow, we got to stay in the non-smoking room.

The room itself was small, nothing fancy, just your basic amenities. I wish the fan would be self-adjusting. We kept having to get up to turn it off, then on, then off, as it would get too hot, then too cold again once we switched off. It was really stuffy, too. But it's a motel, you know.. we weren't expecting a whole lot.

Anyhow, as you can imagine, we finally got the non-smoking room that we thought we had reserved, so that's the good news. But the fact that we had to struggle to get them to honor what we reserved in the first place is obviously frustrating. I would almost swear that I would never ever stay there again (and further, given it a 0 star review if i could) had the clerk not righted the reservation, which frankly, she could've actually messed up / decided us on in the first place.

If you're looking for a cheap and ok place, this is it. Just remember to insist on real non-smoking room when you reserve/check-in, or they might give you a smoking one hoping that you don't notice. But for non-smokers, you will definitely notice, so be careful.

Room Tip: Make sure to insist on real non-smoking rooms if that's what you reserved. We were initially gi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this motel. Room was clean. Rooms we were given were on back side by the pool and seemed to be a quiet area. Bathroom was clean. I would comment that the tub was extremely slick. Overall I would stay here again. Great value!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Motel 6 Reno-Virginia Plumb? Share your experiences!