“Skip this one” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 65 Hotels in Reno
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Skip this one”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Motel 6 is a lot like McDonald's. You know that it won't be good, but they are cheap and everywhere and you generally know what to expect. Even for a Motel 6, this one falls way below the standard, kind of like getting cold fries and soggy burger when you leave Mickey D's. I suppose my biggest issue was the A/C. After checking in, I turned on the A/C and then went to take care of some business for a few hours. Upon my return, the room was still hotter than the outside temperature. The clerk (the same one who checked me in) gave me a story about how they were switching over to summer and that the A/C didn’t work. I was rather irate that I had not been told this when checking in. Her solution was to give me a desk fan…yes, seriously. As it was late, I went ahead and spent the night. The next morning I went downstairs to complain and the morning clerk was actually very nice and helpful, switching me to a room where there was A/C. That said, it was not very good and simply kept the room below sweltering. Beyond the A/C, the Wi-Fi (which was free) was barely functional. I gave up waiting for pages to load and used my phone for a hotspot. The rooms have not been very well maintained, with many minor issues such as holes in the plastic curtains. Additionally, the building seems to have been poorly constructed. If you have an upstairs room, your floor will shake when others are simply walking along outside and there is very little insulation to stop outside noise. It is a good location, next to the freeway, where one can get around town easily. There are not any restaurants next to the property, although there are a couple nearby under the freeway. Overall, even for budget accommodations, better options can be found.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a fairly new resident to Reno, I've had multiple stays at this property while I'm searching for an apartment and a full-time job.

For the most part, it's just another Motel 6. The up side is that this particular location has central heating and air in all rooms, which, in my opinion, works much better than the wall units you see in most locations. The specific area of the city, although very close to downtown and the gaming corridor, doesn't have much going on around it, with the exception of a Denny's and a Jackson's Chevron convenience store, so it's usually best to stock up on groceries and snacks elsewhere.

Staff members seem very nice for the most part, but there have been a few issues with housekeeping - it's recommended that you put multiple Do Not Disturb signs on your door (and bring your own, because they don't provide any), because they'll barge in without knocking regardless, and seem to have a big problem understanding and speaking English. There was one incident on a recent stay where the night clerk mis-categorized my cash payment with a debit card payment where no receipt was provided, and I had to press the issue for several minutes with the manager, who called me seconds before check-out to let me know the supposed debit card payment didn't go through. I found this a little bit unusual, but at the same time, I'm sure they often see some not-so-nice clientele and are protecting their business. Some other posters have mentioned that this is a direct-owned vs. franchised unit, but I haven't seen any major differences between the two.

All in all, an okay place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Yakima, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

..it's quiet here. Rooms are clean and the showers updated, the beds comfortable, and the non-smoking rooms have actually been non-smoking. This is your average Motel 6 as Motel 6 goes, and it's a much better deal in Reno on the weekend than most places, and pet friendly of course. Unless they are close to sold out, check out the rooms and stay away from the stairs, preferably upstairs. Middle of the week is usually quiet, but the weekends can be CRAZY loud and busy if there is anything going on at the Livestock Events Center next door (or during Hot August Nights or anything that draws a ton of people to north Reno). The motel even posts a very directed warning about unregistered guests and being ticketed for trespassing. However, if your passing though town in the middle of the week it beats a casino that is twice the price and has a "Resort Fee". Best for solo travelers and friends.

Room Tip: Upstairs and on the inside to avoid road noise and parking lot noise on weekends.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

By far the worst place I ever stayed in and quite dangerous too...
No hot water,no WiFi,terrible smell on the room ( made my child so sick that we left),ac wasn't working,no towels,tissues,stain on toilet bowls and carpets.
I never ever saw anything that bad in my life.They should close it for good.Shame on them.Lot of gang/ drugs/,prostitution....unbelivable.
Please pay 10 more bucks and stay someplace else.
U will be glad ( and safe).

• Stayed August 2012
Oregon City, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at Motel 6 for an extended amount of timeand experienced the most horrible treatment from management. several Mexicans staying there started an open flame BBQ behind my horse trailer, in the rear of the facility. I asked them to please move as a result of the fuel I was storing in the rear of my truck, they moved reluctantly but after i returned to leave. The fuel containers were stolen from my truck. When I called the front office I was told it was my problem and they couldnt do anything about it, and that there was no monitoring system to prove who did it. When I told them what room it was I was told it wasnt their problem. I let it go, lesson learned and went back to business but noticed at nights the high level of coming and going through the complex by prostitutes and drug dealers. While I was there a fist fight broke out in the parking lot from a large group of hispanics who didnt even have a room there, about 25 kids all together, two of which hit two of the residents who asked them not to lean on there cars. The management and ffice personnel did nothing to rememdy the problem, but instead just looked and yelled at the group from a distace. No police were called. Yesterday at lunch I came back to my room and saw the carpet cleaning guy for the complex draining chemicals and debri into the storm drain in front of the complex, when I went to the office and mentioned it the the clerk, and that the sotrm drain fed to the river. The clerk told me they do it everyday. The clerk said she'd mention it to the manager who in turn lied to me and said the chemicals where biodegradable and it was ok, when I told her the carpet fibers were sewage and the stuff extracted from the carpets were a hazard, she said she's call the carpet company. The next day I was told I was no longer a guest at Motel 6 and not to return.

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
sacramento, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were struggling to find a place to stay over the Memorial Day weekend. There was an AAU Basketball tournament with 971 teams in town. So rooms were at a premium. Fortunately (or not) we were able to get a room at this location.

Yes... we did not expect much from this hotel. I did find it a little odd that there was no shampoo in the rooms. But they did have a mini-fridge and a small microwave oven... so it could have been worse. We were only in this room to sleep since we were part of the madness of this basketball tournament.

We had 2 double beds in the room but it was a tight squeeze for 2 people to share a bed. There were 3 of us in the room. Not a well supplied room either. But again... we were only in the room for a maximum of 7 hours for the day (to sleep). They had cable TV so you could catch up on a few shows or HBO. The fan in the bathroom was a bit noisy and we had to rattle the handle on the toilet to get it to stop flowing so that it could refill properly. Again... this is a barebones property. You get what you pay for.

There is no hot tub but there is a pool... but it was too cold to swim in over Memorial Day. They do provide coffee in the lobby in the morning.

So.... if you need a cheap place to stay (hopefully not too long).... this place is OK. They were doing construction on the freeway at the Wells Ave exit so you had to detour to get here (depending if you're heading East or West on I-80...East bound was closed).

Room Tip: Ask for an "inside room". These face the pool, and are away from the road noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

It's a motel 6 people, not a Hilton, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the location is good, front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Our cats can stay for free too. It's $40 for a sat night which is awesome. Yeah there is no shampoo, the air con is more like a big noisy fan and the tv is small, who cares.

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Motel 6 Reno-Livestock Events Center? Share your experiences!