Message from TripAdvisor:

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 East Second Street, Reno, NV 89595   |
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A fun place to play for a day or two.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a nice property, with a lot to keep you entertained. If you happen to have kids, they have a lot for them to do as well. There is a wide variety of dining options and a large gaming floor. I stayed in one of the recently remodeled standard rooms and was very pleased with it. It had a modern decor, was very large, and had a comfortable bed. The shower was one of the highlights, as it had an overhead shower head, with plenty of hot water and water pressure. There were a few odd choices that I noticed about the update however, such as installing new tile and wall paper in the bathroom but retaining the old, crocked and dented light switch and reusing the yellowed plug cover. Throughout my stay, I would notice unusual choices such as this. Obviously a lot of money has been spent over the years keeping this property updated, but there are many overlooked items that indicate its age. As far as value goes, it really just depends on when you are staying. Room prices throughout Reno fluctuate greatly depending on what is going on at time. Anywhere under a hundred and this room is a great value, but if a flock of bowlers is descending on the city and those prices are sky-rocketing, then you might see what else you can find. Oh, some may see this as a positive and others a negative, but they are "pet-friendly". Overall, a really large and fun property to spend a couple days at though.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
Sebastopol, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The rooms are huge and there are upgraded rooms in part of the hotel that are just beautiful that include microwaves, HD TV and a beer refrigerator sized refrigerator. The restaurants are many and all good. There are fast food selections including subway style sandwichs and cold sandwichs and salads. Elements, buffet was good and fresh with excellent selections. Kim is an Asian fusion restaurant with interesting selections. The Cafe serves all sorts of cuisine. I really appreciated that during the day you could hear pleasant background rock music over the noise of the casino. Smoking is well controlled except in the bar areas. Unfortunately the pool and hot tub were not available. Also the exercise room was limited. Both are being renovated.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on floor 16 or higher. This will get you the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at Grand Sierra Resort for 2 nights this past weekend. My husband has stayed at this resort a couple of times before but this was my first time. We received a comp room for our stay... the rewards for the players club is amazing.

Room was very nice. We stayed on the 14th floor, fairly close to the elevator, which was nice since we brought our 8 month old daughter. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, linens were clean... no stray hairs in the bathroom. We didn't hear any noise from our neighbors or in the hallway. Decor is pretty modern.

Here is what will keep me coming back to GSR... their customer service! Every single worker we came across was very polite, friendly, and eager to please. Even when I was losing at the tables, the dealers were fun and held great conversation. They like to retain customers and their players club comp rewards show that. I signed up and after the first night, received a free buffet (champagne brunch!) as well as enough funds to pay for my husbands. My husband is always getting comp rooms here and rarely has to pay for food or other items. Slots were tight and overall, gambling didn't go in my favor during the trip but could have been worse.

Only taking 1 star off and it's because the food at the Elements Buffet was pretty blah. It was cold and tasteless in most. This was for the Sunday brunch. Their pancakes were good though.

We will continue to come back to GSR as long as they keep up the great work! Thanks for great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The rooms need some redo. In the room we got the carpet looked dirty. Also the "Popcorn" ceiling reminded me the old times.
Besides this we had a pleasant stay. The front desk personnel were kind and helpful. We enjoyed they had Jonny Rockets in the restaurant area. Love their burgers :)
The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool, but as it was way too hot outside, we did not try it. We appreciated the free parking and easy access to the freeway. The hotel is located far away from the center of Reno. You need to drive there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Came here over a weekend in April to participate in a regional contest for our choir, and was pleasantly surprised by the size and depth of the resort/casino. Although I wasn't too pleased to have to spend 48 hours sealed entirely inside the resort (due to our schedule), there was enough going on to keep us busy. If you're sensitive to smoke/ cleaner smells, though, choose your room wisely.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, which offers no vista aside from a wall that pigeons sit on. No natural light etc. was a bit of a disappointment, but considering how affordable the room was with three of us in it, I can't complain. It would be nice if the more basic rooms had at least a coffee maker in them, though. Beds were soft, bathroom was clean, water was hot. That's really all I need to have a good trip. Side note: The service of the woman cleaning our room was 100% more cordial, pleasant, and professional than that of the servers in the Italian restaurant.

Took advantage of the Grand Ballroom space for the event, which has great lighting and is truly gigantic. Eateries inside the cafe are all solid; I LOVED not having to venture outside the resort for a good and affordable meal. Johnny Rockets, mexican, italian, a steakhouse, buffet, etc. etc. The Saturday-night DJ'ed dancing within the casino area (no cover) was a lot of fun.

Based on sliding-scale room prices, I do get the vibe that this hotel offers a 4-star experience with many of the rooms. Were I not on a trip with friends, I would be happy to pay a bit more and experience the more luxurious rooms. For my first-ever trip to Reno, GSR didn't disappoint. Next time I'll be back with more time to kill. B-)

Room Tip: Go higher than the sixth floor - splurge a little for a nice suite/ large room. Find one with natura...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Tom R, Public Relations Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Laura,

We are pleased to hear you had a pleasurable experience at Grand Sierra Resort during your choir contest. It is wonderful to know our cleaning staff provided you with excellent service, and we hope that level of professionalism is apparent in all GSR employees. We are sorry to hear your experience with your server at Briscola was perhaps less than excellent. Our Restaurant Row and casino entertainment are highlights of GSR and it is a pleasure to know you appreciated them as well. As far as the smoke and cleaning product smells, we recognize these are sometimes associated with staying in a casino hotel, and apologize if they might have caused you or those you shared your room with some discomfort.

We appreciate your feedback and are excited to hear you will be returning to enjoy even more of what GSR has to offer. Thank you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I spend 4 nights at this property while traveling on business. I did not know what to expect as I had never stayed at a casino property prior to this one.

Check in was very efficient with one small hickup. I got upgraded as the hotel room which I had reserved was sold out. Very nice surprise. I had asked for a quiet room, but when I got to my room, I felt like it was vibrating.... well it was right next to the elevator shaft...quiet? NO.. but with one phone call to the front desk, they had quickly relocated me to another room on the same floor.

The room was very spacious and had a nice view of the mountains. I noticed that the fan was making a loud sound and shared this with the room attendant. Before I knew it, a maintenance person showed up at my door to fix the problem. He returned the following day and finished the repair and left me a note that he had done so.

The property has a Starbucks in the lobby as well as a small market where you can grab a bite to eat...very convenient.

Overall, the customer service at this property exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, make sure your room is not next to the elevator shaft!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Coraopolis, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just got back from a trip to Reno. This was the first time we stayed at this resort. We had a great time! There was alot to do besides gamble and family friendly and you never had to reallt leave the resort. Only some minor issues during our stay but nothing that would deter us from returning. Upon check in the front desk was friendly and our bellman Billy was simply the best. once at the room given, my husband commented that he had requested a room close to the elevators (he has some problems walking a long way) our room was at the very end of the hallway. Billy said wait here I will get this taken care of. He went back down to the front desk and in minutes came back with a room closer to the elevator with a refrigerator in the room(which I needed for medical supplies). The room was comforatable and had a view of the pool area and driving range. The slots were loose and the smoking area was well ventilated. Restaurant choice were good and one disappointment was the full spa was not available (renovations). The massage portion was in a temporary location and luckily was ready for use during my stay. However it would have been nice to know this ahead of time. We unfortunately did not use all of the activities available such as the go karts and mini golf because it was a long walk from the resort to that area.(suggestion: a shuttle to take patrons to the area) This is one of the more family friendly places to go in Reno, movie theater, bowling alley, go karts, mini golf, driving range, swimming pool (in season), mini mall and family arcade. fabulous staff right down to the security people and housekeeping.. We will definaltely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reno
Circus Circus Hotel and Casino-Reno
#9 of 66 in Reno
4.0 of 5 stars 727 reviews
The Sands Regency Casino Hotel
Peppermill Resort Spa Casino

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!