“A Good Choice for Hot August Nights Participants” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Rooms From $59
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Reno
Grass Valley, California
“A Good Choice for Hot August Nights Participants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stay here every year during Hot August Nights. We have a classic car that we enter into the show, and we favor this location for many reasons. The parking is relatively safe and secure for classic cars, especially if you park as close to the hotel as possible. If you leave your classic car parking spot during the day and come back in the late afternoon or evening, you may find it difficult to get a satisfactory parking spot for your car. For this reason, we tend to leave the show car parked in the show car area, and take cabs or the bus if we want to get around town to see the other venues or go to dinner. Cabs are plentiful and easy to catch from this hotel, and the hotel is centrally located so it is a short cab ride to the downtown area, Sparks or the Convention Center.

The rooms are comfortable. The basic rooms do not have refrigerators. If you want a way to keep your beverages cold or store the leftovers from last night's meal, you'll want to bring an ice chest. Every floor has an ice machine, so it's no problem keeping your ice chest stocked.

Our most recent stay was this past week. We took advantage of a mid-week promotion and got two free nights. We took our dog along with us this time, so we still had to pay the pet fee ($30/night/pet for weeknights; a pricier $50/night for weekends). A plus to this hotel is that well-behaved pets can stay in the room while the owner is out, as long as the pet is in a crate. This is essential if you are travelling with a pet in Reno in the summer. The pet can stay in the air conditioned room, and you don't have to worry about finding a cool, shady place to park the car while you are out and about.

Room Tip: The rooms all have a large window. Views can vary from the majestic Sierra to the homely roof of th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Reno for a short getaway for our 14 th anniversary. Quiet time alone without the kids. The Grand Sierra resort is a distance from the main strip but is nice. We stayed in one of the suits, really nice room. Great service from the bellmen, valet, and housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Was very surprised after we got to our room as it was very nice for the money. Spacious, well equipped, nice bathroom and comfy beds. We paid $45 per night for all of this - I have to say that is the best deal I have ever had

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mammoth Lakes, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This casino was a pleasant suprise in a not-so-lovely city! My boyfriend and I live in the Eastern Sierra's where the closest Wal Mart is almost 3 hours away. We occasionally go to Reno just to shop and get in touch with civilization. We normally stay at Harrah's which is also nice - but we decided to spend a few extra bucks and stay at the Grand Sierra Resort. It was well worth it! The casino is nice and clean with a good variety of games, there are several restaurants to choose from, the bowling alley was a fun perk, and there were lots of other cool activites that we didn't even have time to take advantage of! It was a nice break from reality - I look forward to going back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Peoples Republic of PDX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

They allow dogs. There are many things for kids to do. If you want to stay off strip this is a good bet. There is a bowling alley, arcades, Starbucks and many other things going on. Try and eat somewhere else. The food was either too pricey or it was not good. Parking is free so don't bother with the Valet unless you like watching someone else drive your car.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a room with a lake view. The lake photo shown on the website is more of a man-mad...
Nampa, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We decided to stay here because of other reviews said it was a nice hotel. I am totally disappointed that i didn't pick El Dorado because it is a much better hotel than this one and the rates were very similar. A few things I did not like is that the standard rooms allow pets and the halls smell like freshly washed dog, my room had no mini fridge, no HDTV , and only two pillows per bed. One was hard and one was soft. My husband was unlucky and got stuck with the hard one! The things I did like was the room size was large and the 24 hour bowling was a hit for the kids. That was about it.

Room Tip: Higher floors are updated rooms
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I felt raped by the front desk, they wouldn't even let me check in with a paid reservation. I arrived at 10:30pm and it was after midnight before I got my room, but for one night only and ONLY by agreeing to cancel the rest of my reservation. The place is tacky and nasty, everything is expensive and ugly, it's not nearly as "big" as people say (Cache Creek Casino is 5X the size of this place) and the service is truly the rudest I've ever experienced in my life. They offered to comp me the resort fee the next day and the people during the dayshift sounded like they actually wanted me to stay there, even though the opposite was the case the night before. But I realized I could never enjoy myself there now after the way I was treated upon check-in. I book a LOT of hotel rooms and I've never been treated badly, I never complain, but they made me feel like I was being booked into jail instead of a "hotel". Came to relax and ended up enraged. You were warned.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!