“GOOD FUN!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 65 hotels in Reno
Mammoth Lakes, California
“GOOD FUN!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This casino was a pleasant suprise in a not-so-lovely city! My boyfriend and I live in the Eastern Sierra's where the closest Wal Mart is almost 3 hours away. We occasionally go to Reno just to shop and get in touch with civilization. We normally stay at Harrah's which is also nice - but we decided to spend a few extra bucks and stay at the Grand Sierra Resort. It was well worth it! The casino is nice and clean with a good variety of games, there are several restaurants to choose from, the bowling alley was a fun perk, and there were lots of other cool activites that we didn't even have time to take advantage of! It was a nice break from reality - I look forward to going back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Peoples Republic of PDX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

They allow dogs. There are many things for kids to do. If you want to stay off strip this is a good bet. There is a bowling alley, arcades, Starbucks and many other things going on. Try and eat somewhere else. The food was either too pricey or it was not good. Parking is free so don't bother with the Valet unless you like watching someone else drive your car.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a room with a lake view. The lake photo shown on the website is more of a man-mad...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nampa, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We decided to stay here because of other reviews said it was a nice hotel. I am totally disappointed that i didn't pick El Dorado because it is a much better hotel than this one and the rates were very similar. A few things I did not like is that the standard rooms allow pets and the halls smell like freshly washed dog, my room had no mini fridge, no HDTV , and only two pillows per bed. One was hard and one was soft. My husband was unlucky and got stuck with the hard one! The things I did like was the room size was large and the 24 hour bowling was a hit for the kids. That was about it.

Room Tip: Higher floors are updated rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I felt raped by the front desk, they wouldn't even let me check in with a paid reservation. I arrived at 10:30pm and it was after midnight before I got my room, but for one night only and ONLY by agreeing to cancel the rest of my reservation. The place is tacky and nasty, everything is expensive and ugly, it's not nearly as "big" as people say (Cache Creek Casino is 5X the size of this place) and the service is truly the rudest I've ever experienced in my life. They offered to comp me the resort fee the next day and the people during the dayshift sounded like they actually wanted me to stay there, even though the opposite was the case the night before. But I realized I could never enjoy myself there now after the way I was treated upon check-in. I book a LOT of hotel rooms and I've never been treated badly, I never complain, but they made me feel like I was being booked into jail instead of a "hotel". Came to relax and ended up enraged. You were warned.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited this hotel. I was very impressed by the rooms, casino and overall experience. Prices throughout the casino were very reasonable. 5 dollar tables on Friday and Saturday. We hit golf balls at a unique range outside casino. We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2013
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Grand Sierra Resort while visiting a friend who was in the hospital in Reno. The room was wonderful. Loved the bed and the large marble bathroom! We stayed in the Concierge Level and enjoyed the lounge and continental breakfast. Very nicely done! Only complaint I would have is that when checking in, the person did not inform us about the concierge service and lounge. Luckily, I had used concierge rooms before and knew there was a lounge somewhere. We found it by looking on the elevator placard.

We dined at the Briscola one night and did not have a very pleasant experience. Seated at our reservation time, but then were left with no drink order taken for over 15 minutes. Finally the server came and got the order then we didn't get the wine we ordered (tap on house wine wasn't working) and were given a substitute bottle of wine which was okay. We felt ignored. When the food finally came it was very good so that was a good thing!

We also ate in the little cafe several times. Service there was excellent each time. In fact, our server, Jim, was exceptional. Wish we'd had him at Briscola!

Overall, our trip was stress free due to the nice amenities at the hotel. We would definately stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had gotten 2 nights free at GSR so decided to take advantage of it for a ski trip (to Tahoe). We arrived close to 11pm, but given that it's a casino hotel, they were available to check us in quickly. Parking wasn't too bad. The lobby had a Starbucks and cafe with breakfast and sandwiches.

Our room was on the 16th floor and was quiet. The hallway leading to our room was somewhat dark and smelled of smoke. The view (of the parking lot) was not that great, but we were just there to sleep, so didn't matter much. The room was clean and large. It had a desk, medium sized flat screen TV and comfortable chair. There was no fridge or coffee maker. The bathroom had a shower over tub, and large sink with plenty of counter space. The bed was comfortable, although the pilows were somewhat soft and flat. We had to request 2 extra pillows, which wasn't a big deal. The wifi worked fine.

We didn't go to the fitness room, spa, pool, or buffet, so I don't have anything to say about those amenities.

Pros: comfortable bed, price (reasonable if we had to pay), wifi was easy to use
Cons: no refridgerator, dated outside of the room

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!