“Decent price and good ammenities for a family” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 East Second Street, Reno, NV 89595   |
Ranked #10 of 65 hotels in Reno
Peoples Republic of PDX
“Decent price and good ammenities for a family”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

They allow dogs. There are many things for kids to do. If you want to stay off strip this is a good bet. There is a bowling alley, arcades, Starbucks and many other things going on. Try and eat somewhere else. The food was either too pricey or it was not good. Parking is free so don't bother with the Valet unless you like watching someone else drive your car.

Room Tip: Don't ask for a room with a lake view. The lake photo shown on the website is more of a man-mad...

1,538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Nampa, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We decided to stay here because of other reviews said it was a nice hotel. I am totally disappointed that i didn't pick El Dorado because it is a much better hotel than this one and the rates were very similar. A few things I did not like is that the standard rooms allow pets and the halls smell like freshly washed dog, my room had no mini fridge, no HDTV , and only two pillows per bed. One was hard and one was soft. My husband was unlucky and got stuck with the hard one! The things I did like was the room size was large and the 24 hour bowling was a hit for the kids. That was about it.

Room Tip: Higher floors are updated rooms
Davis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I felt raped by the front desk, they wouldn't even let me check in with a paid reservation. I arrived at 10:30pm and it was after midnight before I got my room, but for one night only and ONLY by agreeing to cancel the rest of my reservation. The place is tacky and nasty, everything is expensive and ugly, it's not nearly as "big" as people say (Cache Creek Casino is 5X the size of this place) and the service is truly the rudest I've ever experienced in my life. They offered to comp me the resort fee the next day and the people during the dayshift sounded like they actually wanted me to stay there, even though the opposite was the case the night before. But I realized I could never enjoy myself there now after the way I was treated upon check-in. I book a LOT of hotel rooms and I've never been treated badly, I never complain, but they made me feel like I was being booked into jail instead of a "hotel". Came to relax and ended up enraged. You were warned.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited this hotel. I was very impressed by the rooms, casino and overall experience. Prices throughout the casino were very reasonable. 5 dollar tables on Friday and Saturday. We hit golf balls at a unique range outside casino. We had a great time.

• Stayed March 2013
Camarillo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Grand Sierra Resort while visiting a friend who was in the hospital in Reno. The room was wonderful. Loved the bed and the large marble bathroom! We stayed in the Concierge Level and enjoyed the lounge and continental breakfast. Very nicely done! Only complaint I would have is that when checking in, the person did not inform us about the concierge service and lounge. Luckily, I had used concierge rooms before and knew there was a lounge somewhere. We found it by looking on the elevator placard.

We dined at the Briscola one night and did not have a very pleasant experience. Seated at our reservation time, but then were left with no drink order taken for over 15 minutes. Finally the server came and got the order then we didn't get the wine we ordered (tap on house wine wasn't working) and were given a substitute bottle of wine which was okay. We felt ignored. When the food finally came it was very good so that was a good thing!

We also ate in the little cafe several times. Service there was excellent each time. In fact, our server, Jim, was exceptional. Wish we'd had him at Briscola!

Overall, our trip was stress free due to the nice amenities at the hotel. We would definately stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had gotten 2 nights free at GSR so decided to take advantage of it for a ski trip (to Tahoe). We arrived close to 11pm, but given that it's a casino hotel, they were available to check us in quickly. Parking wasn't too bad. The lobby had a Starbucks and cafe with breakfast and sandwiches.

Our room was on the 16th floor and was quiet. The hallway leading to our room was somewhat dark and smelled of smoke. The view (of the parking lot) was not that great, but we were just there to sleep, so didn't matter much. The room was clean and large. It had a desk, medium sized flat screen TV and comfortable chair. There was no fridge or coffee maker. The bathroom had a shower over tub, and large sink with plenty of counter space. The bed was comfortable, although the pilows were somewhat soft and flat. We had to request 2 extra pillows, which wasn't a big deal. The wifi worked fine.

We didn't go to the fitness room, spa, pool, or buffet, so I don't have anything to say about those amenities.

Pros: comfortable bed, price (reasonable if we had to pay), wifi was easy to use
Cons: no refridgerator, dated outside of the room

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night only to visit my son at UNR on March 17, 2013. Do not let them put you on the second floor in room #270. It was the worst room I have ever stayed at while in Reno. i will never stay at this hotel again!!! The room smelled old and musty, the shower stall had rust/mildew around the edges and there was only a hand held shower wand in the shower (no built in shower head). When I attempted to set the wand in on its holder in the shower, the water spewed out onto the floor of the bathroom. Then I attempted to aim it at the back of the shower, but this also proved to be ineffective. In addition, the toilet sat so low that it was extremely uncomfortable. I am only 5'3" tall and it way too low for my stature. We were tired from driving by the time we noticed the issues with the shower and toilet, so my husband refused to allow me to ask for another room. My husband and I both agreed that this was some type of handicapped room. Neither of us had an physical handicap. I agreed to keep quiet for the night as long as we left the next day, and also if I could voice my concerns to the front desk the next day. I spoke with the front desk staff and a manager the next day and asked if the room was some sort of handicapped room due to the low toilet and shower concerns. They denied it, but I do not believe their answer was truthful. They offered me another room, but we had already decided to move to a different hotel. They said something about they were in the process fo remodeling rooms, so possibly other rooms may have been nicer. My advice is to stay elsewhere. The smell of this hotel room is enough to keep you away.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 2nd floor in room # 270.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!