“Great time!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 65 hotels in Reno
Staten Island, NY
“Great time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Recently returned from our 4 night stay in the "Summit" Tower and we very much enjoyed our stay! The room was clean, spacious, comfortable bed, couch, desk, wifi, and nice size flat screen TV. We had a pantry area with coffee machine, microwave, mini-fridge, and safe.
We booked online and had a great package price. The dinners in the "Elements" buffet were very good and the selection of foods were just as good. The servers behind the different food stations were very pleasant and accommodating. We had one breakfast in the buffet as well which was great and more than adequate for selections as well. Overall, all of the staff was very friendly and welcoming. Liked the location, not too far from the ski resorts and about 1 1/2 miles from the airport. Felt safe in the area although did not venture out at night. Definitely recommend the GSR!!

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend the renovated rooms in the Summit Tower. They start on floor 17 and go up...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at Grand Sierra. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and dining at Elements, and hope you will visit us again soon.

1,415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Snohomish, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel room was in the older part of the hotel and there was nothing special about it. We asked for a room with a nice tub, and we got one with the mildew in the caulk and long dark hair stuck to the sides. The old tv didn't bother me, the bed was comfy enough. We did bowl one evening and that was fun. The biggest let down was the hotel spa. I was pretty stoked for a massage, and read reviews that made me question whether or not I should bother. We had checked out and had 4 hours before our flight so I decided to venture down and check it out to see if I could get a 25 min foot massage. Walked in to the spa, neither of the girls greeted us or even looked up. It was 12:30 & I had to go to the desk where Anne was busy texting to ask if I could get in. First she said not today then she changed her mind and said only if we do it now which was what I wanted, then the masseuse (who was sitting reading a magazine) looked up. Anne asked her if she could, mind you it's a 25 min foot massage, and the masseuse said no she had a 1:00. Needless to say instead of spending anymore time in the hotel, we are heading to the airport early where I am hoping to spend some money on a well needed massage...

• Stayed February 2013
somwhere in the southwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

they are fairly upfront, when you use the key code for the comp, they tell you that they will charge your card $25 at the time of booking.(forfeit, if you dont stay). when I arived, they tried to up this to $50, but relented, and gave me the room as booked.the desk clerk was very accomodating.i had to speak to a lady named 'kristen' to get my room account opened to buy things at the gift shop, buffett, etc, but it worked out, and they put the unused balance onmy card quickly after chekcout. theysent me a nother comp, Imay very well use it before it expires. the buffet, even tho it isnt exactly kosher, let me buy a to go order for breakfast, and yourt slot club card works at the race book. how cool is that?.i dint paly any tanble games, but I got a kcik out of the mechanical craps machine.i thought it was neato.good beer seclection, and your room includes healt club, and they have a bowling alley-this hotel is the old reno hilton, and it is nearest full service casino to the megabus stop insparks, unless you count john ascuagas nugget.-im not sure what the retail price of the rooms are, but they struck me as worth about $60 or so.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at Grand Sierra and taking the time to write a review. We’re glad you were able to enjoy a free night and some of the amenities our property has to offer - at GSR we strive to bring the latest and greatest in slots and table games, and we love hearing that we are doing the right thing for our customers. The $25 hold for a free room night is released at check-in. It is standard to put a $50 per night hold on the credit card for incidental fees during your visit, but the balance is released when you check out. We hope this didn’t cause any confusion and we hope you will visit us again soon.
Salisbury Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This property is fantastic! The casino floor has a huge variety of slots, tons of them very new, a generous amount of table games and a huge sports betting area! The dealers are personable, the gambling floor impeccably kept and lobby well run. Overall this property is fantastically appointed.
I stayed on the 20th floor, the room was modern, spacious and beautifully decorated with quality equipment, bedding and furniture.
I would highly recommend the Grand Sierra and would easily compare it to any of the premier properties in Vegas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing Grand Sierra, and taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and gaming at our property. We hope we'll see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Experienced excellent customer service overall especially from the cocktail service. The rooms were very well decorated and clean. The housekeeping staff was very attentive and helpful. The resort has so many amenities, for all ages.

• Stayed January 2013
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Grand Sierra and for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and hope you will visit us again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel room was nice but the layout of the casino was excellent and I had a great cocktail waitress (Taylor) toward the end of the night that actually stopped and asked if we needed a drink instead of the standard walk by saying drinks till someone stops them....Enjoyed my time at Grand Sierra very much

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for staying at Grand Sierra and taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and will pass along your comments to Taylor. We hope you will visit us again soon!
Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Grande Sierra while attending a convention between January 21st through January 27, 2013. Upon check in, there was a slight mistake in my reservation and I was assigned to a room in the older and lower section of the hotel. The area was a bit tacky and I found the room large but very dated. I was missing plug-ins for my computer, cell phone etc. The desk was too small and furniture was beat up, the desk chair was far too low for me and the television was not a flat screen either. There was no coffee maker in the room and there was a plastic bucket for ice. My first overall impression was not a very good one considering that I was paying over $130.00 per night. I was pretty beat with my travels from Canada and spent the night in the room anyway. The only good thing about the room was the very large and nicely tiled bathroom, loaded with mirrors.

The next morning, after checking out the comments on the internet, I went down to the front desk and requested a room change. The front desk staff were very accommodating but charged me $30.00 dollars more per night and sent me up to a newly renovated room in the summit tower. "Quite a difference" The new room was well appointed, had a new flat screen TV, nice long desk area with a modern and comfortable chair and also a plug-in station for anything electronic that was incorporated into the desk area. As you entered the room there was a modern kitchenette area equipped with a high tech coffee maker and coffee, micro-wave, small fridge, glasses and a stainless ice holder etc. The bathroom was also very modern and fully loaded including a large walk-in tiled shower area with a massive glass door. "It was almost like I had changed hotels." The bed was very comfortable, lots of pillows and the rest of the furniture was great. The room offered a free wi-fi service with decent speed.

I am not a gambler so I will not comment on this aspect. I must say, however, that the food services were very good and reasonably priced. There is a restaurant row with everything from coffee shop cuisine to high end steaks and sushi. I tried the morning buffet and also found it to be very good and also well priced. The wines and alcohol were a bit pricey but this goes with the turf. Hotels everywhere make more money with the booze than they do with the food.

To conclude: The only reason that I gave the hotel 3 stars instead of 4 was because of them over charging me and sending me to an older room that was not suited for my travel needs. I mentioned to them that I was with a convention, staying for 7 days and was a business traveller. I also had found out later that many people I talked to had paid just $40.00 dollars for other rooms. I paid much more than many people that were staying at the hotel. " What were they thinking ?" Just check out the internet.....

Reno is definitely a better deal for families compared to Las Vegas. Do your homework and be prepared to deal.

Peter Palmer

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room or you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hi Peter,
Thank you for choosing Grand Sierra for your visit and for taking the time to write a review. While not all of the rooms have been renovated, we will be upgrading the lower-level rooms throughout 2013 including new carpet, new televisions and fresh paint. We appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!