“Best stay ever” 5 of 5 stars

Rooms From $59
Ranked #8 of 65 Hotels in Reno
“Best stay ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Experienced excellent customer service overall especially from the cocktail service. The rooms were very well decorated and clean. The housekeeping staff was very attentive and helpful. The resort has so many amenities, for all ages.

• Stayed January 2013
Sara R, Manager at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Grand Sierra and for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and hope you will visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel room was nice but the layout of the casino was excellent and I had a great cocktail waitress (Taylor) toward the end of the night that actually stopped and asked if we needed a drink instead of the standard walk by saying drinks till someone stops them....Enjoyed my time at Grand Sierra very much

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for staying at Grand Sierra and taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit and will pass along your comments to Taylor. We hope you will visit us again soon!
Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at the Grande Sierra while attending a convention between January 21st through January 27, 2013. Upon check in, there was a slight mistake in my reservation and I was assigned to a room in the older and lower section of the hotel. The area was a bit tacky and I found the room large but very dated. I was missing plug-ins for my computer, cell phone etc. The desk was too small and furniture was beat up, the desk chair was far too low for me and the television was not a flat screen either. There was no coffee maker in the room and there was a plastic bucket for ice. My first overall impression was not a very good one considering that I was paying over $130.00 per night. I was pretty beat with my travels from Canada and spent the night in the room anyway. The only good thing about the room was the very large and nicely tiled bathroom, loaded with mirrors.

The next morning, after checking out the comments on the internet, I went down to the front desk and requested a room change. The front desk staff were very accommodating but charged me $30.00 dollars more per night and sent me up to a newly renovated room in the summit tower. "Quite a difference" The new room was well appointed, had a new flat screen TV, nice long desk area with a modern and comfortable chair and also a plug-in station for anything electronic that was incorporated into the desk area. As you entered the room there was a modern kitchenette area equipped with a high tech coffee maker and coffee, micro-wave, small fridge, glasses and a stainless ice holder etc. The bathroom was also very modern and fully loaded including a large walk-in tiled shower area with a massive glass door. "It was almost like I had changed hotels." The bed was very comfortable, lots of pillows and the rest of the furniture was great. The room offered a free wi-fi service with decent speed.

I am not a gambler so I will not comment on this aspect. I must say, however, that the food services were very good and reasonably priced. There is a restaurant row with everything from coffee shop cuisine to high end steaks and sushi. I tried the morning buffet and also found it to be very good and also well priced. The wines and alcohol were a bit pricey but this goes with the turf. Hotels everywhere make more money with the booze than they do with the food.

To conclude: The only reason that I gave the hotel 3 stars instead of 4 was because of them over charging me and sending me to an older room that was not suited for my travel needs. I mentioned to them that I was with a convention, staying for 7 days and was a business traveller. I also had found out later that many people I talked to had paid just $40.00 dollars for other rooms. I paid much more than many people that were staying at the hotel. " What were they thinking ?" Just check out the internet.....

Reno is definitely a better deal for families compared to Las Vegas. Do your homework and be prepared to deal.

Peter Palmer

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room or you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hi Peter,
Thank you for choosing Grand Sierra for your visit and for taking the time to write a review. While not all of the rooms have been renovated, we will be upgrading the lower-level rooms throughout 2013 including new carpet, new televisions and fresh paint. We appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

It was a surprise to come back to this hotel the second week of January 2013 after more than 6 years. It's been completely remodelled and now it's great! You can take it into account when visiting Reno. And the prices are very accommodated.

Room Tip: Higher floors (new and remodelled) have refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker in the rooms!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi Liliana,
Thank you for returning to the Grand Sierra and taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon!
Whittier, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Upon my entrance to the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino I was embraced by its decor and amazing presentation. The grand entrance was inviting and an introduction to what awaited me for my stay. My weekend was attended to by pleasant staff and abundance of ammenities available. There was much to enjoy, but one weekend only allowed me a taste of the best resort in Reno, which wil forever remain on my taste buds. I can't wait for my next visit to the GSR and Casino, it was Simply Amazing!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Robert, Thank you for choosing Grand Sierra and for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you had a great experience, and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Rowland Heights, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Grand Sierra Resort and I’m delighted to say our overall experience was superb … I will definitely recommend the resort to our family and friends.

From the moment you arrive you are greeted by friendly courteous staff that genuinely enjoys serving you. Our room was not only spacious but had recently been renovated with all new furniture, multiple flat screen televisions very nice upgrades to a very comfy king size bed. The resort has done a great job catering to everyone from friends looking to getaway to a family vacation.

The resort has many amenities you couldn’t possibly experience them all in a two day weekend no matter how hard we tried. We were absolutely blown away by the hotels restaurant row the variety of food offered amazing.

GSR we will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Diana, Thank you for choosing the Grand Sierra Resort and for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to hear that the service, room and amenities were enjoyable. We hope to see you back at GSR for your next birthday celebration!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for about a week for a business trip. It was my first time in Reno, and my last. The hotel's pictures on their website are totally misleading--the pictures make the hotel seem like a luxury resort, whereas in reality the hotel is extremely dated and in need of renovation. The rooms have very old, dirty carpet, and the beds and bathrooms aren't that great. I suppose you get what you pay for. However, the rooms are reasonably large.

Pros of the hotel include: variety of food options in the hotel (so that you never have to leave), shuttle to/from the airport, activities like Laser Tag, gigantic bowling alley. Note that the "beach" is closed during certain months of the year so you should check ahead of time. The hotel itself is huge, with a convention center.

If you leave the hotel, there's nowhere to go unless you take a bus or have a car. There's downtown Reno, which is even more depressing than this hotel, so I wouldn't recommend that either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Julia, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you were disappointed in your visit to Grand Sierra and to Reno. We have renovated our Summit rooms, and will be upgrading the lower-level rooms throughout 2013 with improvements such as new carpet, new televisions and fresh paint. We hope you will give us another chance if you find yourself back in Reno.

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!