“Nice place to stay - with a minor caveat” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 East Second Street, Reno, NV 89595   |
Ranked #11 of 65 hotels in Reno
Las Vegas, NV
“Nice place to stay - with a minor caveat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent three days at the Grand Sierra during the Thanksgiving holiday. We got a very good price on the room, which was very clean and well furnished. The bathroom was marble throughout, and although there was no bathtub the shower was very nice. The king-sized bed was comfortable, with a Sealy PosturePedic mattress. Every hotel employee we dealt with was friendly and helpful. Customer service is obviously an emplhasis here.

Now the caveat. This was more an irritation than anything else, and it would not stop me from staying here. Still, it bears mentioning for informational purposes. Despite having a pre-paid reservation, I was charged an $11.30 daily "resort fee", and because I paid with a debit card the hotel held back $50 per day for "incidentals" (none of which I used). That means that they tied up $150 in my bank account until I checked out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
Hampshire, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in the summit towers with my boyfriend for the Marine Ball. It was definitely worth it. I would pay the extra money to stay in the summit towers, otherwise you'll get a really crappy room(my friends stayed in that). They were jealous. So much to do at this hotel and so many things within driving distance. Many places to eat at the GSR.

• Stayed November 2012
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We needed a place to stay after a late fight arrival in Reno before we headed down to Lake Tahoe for a few days. Our daughter recommended that we check out the GSR. You could tell that our standard room had been renovated....and it was huge! The only complaint about the room was that the carpet was dirty. We had breakfast in the cafe the next morning. Our server was very pleasant and the food was good. We used the fitness room which was very nice! We walked around the lower level of the hotel after breakfast. There is a bowling alley, a cinema and lots other fun activities for a family! I would bring kids here to have some fun. I would come back here and spend a couple of days again.

West Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My hubby and I had tried GSR once and came out with a bad perception. We decided to try it again on our last trip to Reno and we were very surprised at the excellent customer service we received. The regular rooms do need to be upgraded, but the $ we paid was well worth it since we weren't really in our room. The casino floor had a good selection of machines and the cocktail servers came around often to freshen up our drinks. There were hosts by the casino kiosks helping people with their accounts and promos. I was very impressed! The buffet had a varied selection of foods for all tastes. I especially loved the Mimosas at Sunday Brunch, YUM! I rate the GSR as excellent as that was my experience. We signed up for their card and we receive promos in the mail, very nice touch!

Room Tip: Summit Rooms are very nice if you want to spend most of your time in. I don't mind the regular r...
California City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed at GSR 3 times in one month, the summit rooms are fine but if you get a regular room..BEWARE! I am very lenient on reviews but this was sad. when I stayed in the SUMMIT rooms I was treated much nicer at the front desk,I was treated Rude when I came for the cheaper rooms. the regular rooms were DIRTY, dirty carpets, dirty bathroom, (mold in the shower) not as insulated so you can hear your neighbors, the hallway smells like an old folks home. very unpleasant odor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Decent resort, casino and facilities but for the price makes it all worth. I liked casino at pepper mill better.

Good things about this resort - Price, Valet, bell desk, food, view. Food is good even at the late night menu restaurant. Rooms are decent and recently renovated. Good view from top floor suite where we stayed.

Few things that could be improved - room service was really bad, operator does not always answer the phone, casino in general, it doesn't pull enough to hit the tables...

I stayed at summit tower which has a separate desk so better service. But I saw a long queue at the other front desk.

Room Tip: Summit tower top floors have a great view and rooms are better.
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here years ago, but in the last few years have always stayed at the hotels on Virginia St. which turns out to have been a big mistake. This is a much more desirable environment than dealing with all the "less-fortunate" ones on Virginia St. I got one of the standard rooms which turned out to be more than adequate in my opinion. Nothing extra, but the room was clean and quiet and those are the important things for me. Free wi-fi. This is a very big place, so you are going to be doing some walking. I liked the casino and found some fun machines to feed. Only ate at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse which was GREAT! I highly recommend this hotel over those on Virginia St.

Room Tip: You can upgrade, but I think the standard rooms are more than adequate if you don't require a co...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!