“eh, it's so so” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 65 hotels in Reno
Mammoth Lakes, California
“eh, it's so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I am growing fond of hanging out in Reno but realize after this last trip that I prefer downtown. We got a free 2 night offer in the mail and you can't really complain about that but even after their renovation, it was just ok. The free rooms were of course the older ones but the thing I like least is the fact that it is an island. We lost our money gambling pretty fast and there is no where to go from there. Once you start drinking you are limited to walking and there is no walking from GSR. I like downtown where one hotel connects to another and another and another and there is plenty to do. Even within the hotels, there is a variety of bars and vibes and you can laugh, dance, gamble or eat. We had trouble eating at GSR. Very annoying because I called downstairs, asked the particular restaurant we wanted to eat at when they closed, they said "10pm" and so I took a shower before dinner. By the time we got down there, maybe 9:15, they were done. We couldn't eat the all you can eat but they let us eat off the regular menu which was quite pricey. I was not happy. All the other places that were supposed to be open until 10 were also closed. And when we left the next day, I saw a sign OUTside the hotel for a Johnny Rocket's. Pfft. And it was that day also that we found out there was a sub sandwich shop and Round Table Pizza downstairs. They must have the laziest sign maker in the world because all of that information would have been much more useful before we checked out. All in all, I don't intend to stay there again. Too many cheap choices downtown to want to.

Room Tip: the new tower is much nicer. Brand new rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Once you get into the elevator it's all downhill from there. Run down, dirty. It gets worse when you get off. You are greeted with low ceilings, extremely dimly light and creepy corridors. If Disney ever morphed the haunted mansion attraction into a western motif, this is what it would look like.
Rooms are worse still. There was dental floss left unflushed in the toilet. I guess they never cleaned the toilet at all..I doubt the housekeeping staff flossed as they cleaned the room.

Tv was old analog CRT. Furniture was basic and stained. Carpet stained and did colored. Climate system consisted of something that looked more like a fold out ironing board than anything else. Bathrooms contained fixtures from the early 80s.

The whole hotel smelled like smoke everywhere. Although that just may be a common trait of a casino hotel in this area..I didn't stay for gambling, I stayed here the last night of a trip to Tahoe to be closer to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

RIght stuff
> Frequent specials !!!
> CONCERTS, CONCERTS, CONCERTS
> Gym and excellent steam room, sauna and indoor jacuzzi
> Pet friendly
> Kelly in reservations and Debbie at the front desk

Working on
> Older and worn rooms
> Late check out (they can't seem to make up their mind - yes, no or charge)

Room Tip: learn what floor you like and stick with it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Placerville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I got upgraded so we were able to stay in the newer wing of the hotel (highly recommended). We thought it was beautiful, but we thought it was even more beautiful after seeing our other Reno options. We decided to hit the "strip" and check out the other casinos. After an hour or so we hopped back in the cab and hurried back to our safe haven at Grand Sierra. It has everything you could want: multiple restaurants, Starbucks, movie theater, bowling, pool and spa, and a clean, up-to-date casino. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Reno. My only complaint was the sluggish room service. We called up to order a bottle of wine and were told it would take 30 minutes to deliver. We also called multiple times for a cork screw before someone was finally able to help us and deliver this rare device. Come on, your a casino/hotel/resort with like five different restaurants. You must have a cork screw somewhere??

Room Tip: See if you can get a room in the newer wing, which I believe is the 17th floor and up.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

I like to stay here when I travel due to easy freeway access. The hotel and casino are very clean, nice. Although you do have to pay a minimal resort few every time you stay. I was surprised when I wanted to order dinner and it wasn't very late that only option was sandwich shop and room service (I couldn't order room service menu items from the actual restaurant itself). During other stays I was impressed with the many restaurants they have. Such as steakhouse and Mexican restaurant. If you're traveling with children they do offer family activities.

• Stayed November 2012
Glendale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Although the casino itself is nice, it is small compared to vegas standards and this hotel is about 10 minutes from downtown Reno (walking would not be an option).

The room (in the stardard side) was quite spacious and very clean. Nothing fancy, but it worked just fine. The decor is a bit outdated, but, really....who cares?

The hotel offered bowling, a small movie theater, some shopping, kid-friendly activities, etc.

Overall, very good experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So a friend recommended we stay at GSR so we thought we'd give it a try. In Reno I usually go with Peppermill Tuscan towers and am always pleased but am willing to try new things. WHen we first arrived at the GSR I was impressed, the lobby was very new looking and I got my hopes up! We went to check in a little early and were told that one of our rooms was ready, but the other was not. SO we went to have a late lunch while we waited on the other room. Still not ready after lunch and so we headed up to put our luggage in the room that was ready. We did not upgrade to the Summit rooms which was probably a bad choice. So we get in the elevator to go to our room and as the doors open my 2 year old takes two steps back and says "Ohhhh mama, spooky"...and lets just say she hit the nail on the head. The hallway was so dark and the color scheme was so odd that it looked exactly like something out of The Shining. SO we go to find our room whihc is literally the one at the very end of the hallway and I am not exaggerating when I say my daughter refused to walk down the hallway she was so scared so we had to carry her to and from the elevator every time...good times for all. Inside the room was SUCH a disappointment. VERY basic and tired looking room. Towel racks had clearly been moved without bothering to patch up where they had previously been...etc. It was depressing. So we decided to go down to the arcade/kids area which is in the bottom of the hotel. Again, tired, worn out and just sad looking. The young girls who worked in the arcade area were rude and clearly not fond of kids. After spending about $50 on pretty basic play structure we went to check into our other room and was told it was ready, and were given keys. Upon opening the door it was apparent that it was NOT ready. Bed unmade, towels on the floor of the bathroom...seriously? Very annoying. We called down and they send they'd send housekeeping immediately (which they were clearly annoyed about).

NOW this is not to say everything was bad. Again, the common areas were very nice. We ate at the mexican restaurant which was fast service and decent food. We also liked the bowling alley, had a great time with the kids there. Which brings up a point, usually when we have the kids with us we stay at Circus Circus which is very inexpensive, the midway is great and the rooms are very clean, well kept and although not fancy at all, we are always satisfied with our stay. SO to sum up, if you're going alone to Reno with friends or significant other, stay at Peppermill Tuscan tower, if you're going with kids, I'd say stay at Circus Circus and come to GSR for bowling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!