“Rooms get a 2 star, Rest of the hotel gets a 3” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Sierra Resort and Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2500 East Second Street, Reno, NV 89595   |
Ranked #10 of 65 hotels in Reno
Sacramento, CA
“Rooms get a 2 star, Rest of the hotel gets a 3”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

So a friend recommended we stay at GSR so we thought we'd give it a try. In Reno I usually go with Peppermill Tuscan towers and am always pleased but am willing to try new things. WHen we first arrived at the GSR I was impressed, the lobby was very new looking and I got my hopes up! We went to check in a little early and were told that one of our rooms was ready, but the other was not. SO we went to have a late lunch while we waited on the other room. Still not ready after lunch and so we headed up to put our luggage in the room that was ready. We did not upgrade to the Summit rooms which was probably a bad choice. So we get in the elevator to go to our room and as the doors open my 2 year old takes two steps back and says "Ohhhh mama, spooky"...and lets just say she hit the nail on the head. The hallway was so dark and the color scheme was so odd that it looked exactly like something out of The Shining. SO we go to find our room whihc is literally the one at the very end of the hallway and I am not exaggerating when I say my daughter refused to walk down the hallway she was so scared so we had to carry her to and from the elevator every time...good times for all. Inside the room was SUCH a disappointment. VERY basic and tired looking room. Towel racks had clearly been moved without bothering to patch up where they had previously been...etc. It was depressing. So we decided to go down to the arcade/kids area which is in the bottom of the hotel. Again, tired, worn out and just sad looking. The young girls who worked in the arcade area were rude and clearly not fond of kids. After spending about $50 on pretty basic play structure we went to check into our other room and was told it was ready, and were given keys. Upon opening the door it was apparent that it was NOT ready. Bed unmade, towels on the floor of the bathroom...seriously? Very annoying. We called down and they send they'd send housekeeping immediately (which they were clearly annoyed about).

NOW this is not to say everything was bad. Again, the common areas were very nice. We ate at the mexican restaurant which was fast service and decent food. We also liked the bowling alley, had a great time with the kids there. Which brings up a point, usually when we have the kids with us we stay at Circus Circus which is very inexpensive, the midway is great and the rooms are very clean, well kept and although not fancy at all, we are always satisfied with our stay. SO to sum up, if you're going alone to Reno with friends or significant other, stay at Peppermill Tuscan tower, if you're going with kids, I'd say stay at Circus Circus and come to GSR for bowling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

1,536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
Concord, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I got a postcard for free rooms at the newly remodeled Grand Sierra. I wanted to see the new rooms so I opt to pay for an upgraded remodeled room. We checked in on a Friday night and the lobby looks very different than before. There was 2 line, one for the regular rooms and 1 for the Summit rooms. I got in line for the Summit room and there was one couple in front of me but there was no one at the desk. We waited for a few minutes and still nobody came so I went to the other line and as soon as I did that someone shows up and begin checking in the couple. I went back to the Summit line (because it was so much shorter than the regular line). The lady that check me in was not so friendly :o(
We got in the room and it basically looks the same except for the bed linen and the furniture. It is now alittle brighter in the room now. It was painted black before so the room was dark and gloomy. The hallways are also not painted in black anyway so it's a lot brighter now. So overall the room, hall and the lobby is bright and cheery now. We ate at the cafe and the buffet. We like the cafe. The lava cake was to die for. The buffet was ok. Nothing to write home about. One thing I didn't like was when we went to gamble they had ladies dancing on a platform. I guess it's entertainment but I didn't like it; it made it seem like a strip club (not that they took off their clothes or anything) but them dancing around with strips of fabrics/ribbon just doesn't seem right to me. Overall we had a great time and we always like staying at Grand Sierra because they have so many things to see and do there.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has something for everyone nice pool, several dining and entertainment options. The run of house rooms are showing some signs of wear but were very clean. This hotel is not down town so you either take a cab at about 9.00 each way or drive and park in another hotel parking lot. I really enjoyed the pool and for a small fee you can upgrade your room to a newly remodeled one.

• Stayed September 2012
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I reserved a Standard room, and the site I booked on said that the $10 resort fee included use of the in-room safe. When I arrived, there was no safe in the room -- apparently none of the non-Summit rooms have them. As I was travelling with a laptop that I needed to leave in the room during the day, this was not acceptable to me. The hotel insisted this was not their problem; their only solution was to upgrade me to a Summit room at a cost 3 times what I originally paid.

After an extended call to my booking site's support line, I was moved to a Summit room for a very small premium -- I was very pleased with this result.

The Standard room was quite large, and clean enough (although the bathroom grout was moldy in places, and there was long hair on the bedside table). An old tube TV in a giant armoire, a bed, a desk... not much more to it. Very early 1980s style. If I didn't care about the safe, it would have been fine.

The Summit room was actually junior suite with a kitchenette/bar and a loveseat, decorated in modern style. The bathroom was tiled in dark stone, with a separate tub and shower. Both the suite and the elevator lobby on my floor looked like any one of the newer properties in Las Vegas. My only complaint was the kitchen was completely unstocked, save for an ice bucket and 2 glasses -- no cutlery or plates, not even disposables. Keep that in mind if you want to bring leftovers back to your room.

Overall, I would stay here again, but only in a Summit room.

Room Tip: Summit rooms are modern and stylish. Rooms in the main hotel are spartan.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Pioneer, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

the Summit rooms are a terrific value. Great beds for bad backs, large full marble baths small frig and microwave.

The casino is shiek and the staff is great. Charlie Palmer's is excellent for dinner and the cafe has super b'fast

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington,DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked a Grand Suite 2 at this resort as they had a last- minute sale and my first choice (Hyatt) was fully booked. Room was nice, recently renovated but there is absolutely no way that you can call it a Grand suite. It is a huge mislead to customers, and the room descriptions on the website do not warn about it either. It is simply a room with bed, a small desk and an arm chair. No separate area that will justify calling it a suite. Bathrooms are large and modern. They were supposed to be smoke-free, but you cold smell the smoke in the hallways and in the room as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Big (did I say BIG?) modern, updated rooms, is what it is. We came to work on the election and got a "suite" for $50, plus the $10 resort fee. Warning: suite just means a bigger room with a sitting area, but it's divided off by about six feet of curtain, so it's not like one person can stay up and read without the other seeing the light. (There are nice little reading lamps on the big king bed.)

Plusses: big clean room with fridge and microwave, nice marble bathroom (only a shower, but large, and there is a health club and spa area downstairs). Good health club--but it shuts at 8 p.m, be warned. We had a view out over the ridges. Easy access from freeway.

Minusses: as with many hotels, if people are talking in the hallway they could be inside your room. Since it's a casino, this happens in the middle of the night more than in most places. Checking in is unbelievably slow, even with only a few people ahead of you in line it takes a very long time.

The room price is unbeatable for a hotel room like this. The sit down restaurants are a bit expensive... Staff seems very friendly. If you were travelling with kids, there's a movie theater, a bowling alley, a swimming pool. There are stores downstairs, there's a Starbucks. It's glitzy to walk around the lobby floor and see all the gaming machines and blue-lit bars. In other words: it's a casino hotel, with all the accompaniments you'd expect. We were happy with it.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite, it's worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!