“Excellent choice for business traveler and for peace and quiet” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9920 Double R Blvd, Reno, NV 89521   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 65 hotels in Reno
Richmond, California
“Excellent choice for business traveler and for peace and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I was here for three nights for work. As a Hilton Gold member, I have stayed at HGI's from El Paso to Maine. They are a good, solid choice. This one is off South Meadows, maybe 15 minutes from downtown and 10 from the airport. It is a suburban area, bordering several malls and office areas. The rooms are pleasant and quiet at night. There is a small workout room that gets a lot of business (very healthy clientele), and a tiny indoor pool and hot tub. For walkers and joggers, there is a pond with a circumference trail (maybe a mile around) just out the back door of the hotel: much more pleasant than running by the malls.

Though I'm a bit older myself, it was nice to be in a hotel where the ambience was working people, not worn out retired gamblers as much of Reno. Two good restaurants are an easy walk: Sierra Gold, a sports bar with good hamburgers, etc. and waitresses in skimpy outfits; and the Oriental Cafe, surprisingly fresh Chinese food. The hotel has limited menu room service at night, and free cookies; there is a small bar which I did not try.

Breakfast service is tasty -- the waitress is a bit overworked, but the manager helps out, the staff seems very pleasant and helpful.

I was there during a big windstorm and it got pretty noisy one night, but I think that was unusual. The hotel was quiet at night: no drunks in the hallways, it's pretty much working stiffs trying to get some sleep. All in all, I think this is an excellent choice unless you want non-stop casino action.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Washington, DC
1,954 helpful votes 1,954 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Nice, clean mid-level property away from the griminess of downtown Reno. A little off the beaten path, but close to shopping and restaurants, although Reno doesn't offer much of either. If you must go to Reno, the Hilton Garden Inn is a good resting place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
tommyjoe1
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Great location. Short drive to shopping, dining, or downtown. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. Plenty of room for four adults and three children. The breakfast was included and there were plenty of choices for everyone. Not as elaborate as the Embassy suites breakfast, but I really didn't need anymore calories. We had rented a car at Reno airport, the rental company wasn't familiar with the hotel, I guess it is new, but they called and gave us simple directions. Probably less than ten minutes to drive.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

We were looking for a hotel at the last minute after leaving Burning Man and the Hilton was the first with availability. While the rates seemed a little inflated (after commenting that the first quote of $189 was too high, they immediately came down to $169), the rooms were clean and comfortable, the location convenient (near the airport) and the service friendly and helpful. The desk clerk willingly did our online check-in the next morning as well, which was very nice of her.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

Since I stay in a given hotel for multiple work weeks, I try to swing by the property before my trip to look at a room. When I stopped in at this hotel and asked to see a room I was told "We dont do that". The man at the desk went on to say "We dont give tours". When I told him that was fine I could stay elsewhere he showed me a room. Very odd, considering its a new hotel. I decided to stay at the hotel because it is in a newer area of Reno that made us more comfortable. I called the hotel to ask if we could check in early and I was told, probably not. We showed up at the hotel and the woman working at the desk was quite nice and did allow us to check in early. The hotel is decent, nice clean rooms. They have a fridge/microwave which is great for business travelers. The breakfast is very good- not free unless you're a HHonors VIP. Nice to have decent on site food in any case. This is a decent, very clean newer hotel w/ some very clueless employees. The General Manager greeted us at breakfast and was quite nice. I think he needs to stay at the desk a bit more to see what his employees are doing. I would say if youre not a picky person about customer service, it would be a great pick. If you like the "Hilton Hospitality" maybe you should keep looking.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have stayed at this location multiple times since it opened. I usually switch back and forth between the HGI and Reno Hampton Inn and Suites depending upon rates. The HGI has nicer rooms and a better workout room. The Hampton has the free breakfast. Both are very close to my work and good restaurants. I would recommend both and have never had an issue with staff or the room.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Pasadena, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed here for a conference in Reno at the Silver Legacy. We chose this hotel given that the Silver Legacy had poor reviews and we drove in every day. We wished we had stayed at the Silver Legacy instead, which was very nice.

Hilton Garden Inn was an acceptable hotel, but expensive for what you got and the management was inflexible. We paid for a night we did not even stay at the hotel because we could not make it in to town because of the snowfall. I realize the rules permit them to charge us, but I thought it was poor form. Hotel was deserted and maybe that's why.

I didn't much care for the parking situation and kept a close eye on my car. Room was clean and nice. Pool was small and indoor, but we used it. We were the only ones who did. We know this because our room was next to it, which would have been terrible had it gotten any use. We also used the self-serve laundry facilities, which were coin operated but clean, new, and cheap.

Location was not close to much of anything. Maybe Virginia City was a little closer from here than from downtown. Overall, I would give it 3 stars but marked down to 2 stars because of management.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Reno? Share your experiences!