“Wow! An old-fashion Diner” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Aurora
“Wow! An old-fashion Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Wonderful steak and eggs special. But their ice cream dishes are the best, especially their Banana Splits

Visited May 2013

Greeley, Colorado
“The Best Onion Rings”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Got a chance to go to Mel's Diner at the Sands Hotel in Reno. They served the Biggest best onion rings I have ever had. Don't get me wrong the Cheese burger was fantastic too.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mon-Thurs was very good! The weekend staff was horrible!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Reno Sunday night and stayed til Sat! I ate at Mel's every morning with my young daughter. Mon Thursday Thurs our service was very nice and the food was good... Not great but good. Sat was my birthday and as routine we ate there. It was the same unfriendly and snotty staff as the day before but figured they might be skittle nicer for someone's birthday. My daughter wanted the steak and she likes it med like the rest of our family but I guess our know it all waitress decided that she was too young for it like that and by the time we received it I swear it would bounce higher then a flipping basketball! I was so upset with the attitude and service that my final day was spent elsewhere. Still debating if the mid-week staff can make up for their rude and unfriendly co-workers that literally left a bad taste in my mouth!!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ocean Park, Washington
“Where were you in '62”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Mel's provides the opportunity to return to the Happy Days of speedy malt shop dining. The chain provided location and inspiration to Lucas's "American Graffitti" and probably has not changed much other than now offering hash browns as a alternative to their signature Mel's potatoes. Huevos Rancheros is a popular mix of eggs, beans, and potatoes with tender, sweet red pepper strips. Their fried chicken has a bit more salt than most. Staff service time could not be faster, even if they put the roller skates back on.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Nostalgic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Mel's won't rank in the Top 100, but it's still a "don't miss" breakfast attraction in Reno. We stay at the Sands Regency for our annual cribbage tournament and Mel's is tucked into a ground floor corner of the hotel. LOVE the 50's American Graffiti decor along with some nostalgic signed baseball photos (Mays, Arron, et al). Typical "diner" food, generous portions and the weekday steak-n-eggs special @ $5.99 is great value (unless you've been to a five-star restaurant with a sinfull fillet the night before.) Come, relax, enjoy the 50's music and chow down - we always do. PS - a chocolate malt with double malt will compliment any burger on the lunch menu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Mel's Diner? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mel's Diner, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.