“Great for children and families.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 137 things to do in Reno
Activities: Skiing
Carson City, Nevada
11 attraction reviews
“Great for children and families.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This resort seems to be the place of choice for most native Nevadans.

The staff, especially at the RoseBuds counter, are helpful, energetic and caring about the experience your child has in the learning program.

There are group classes and single lessons to be had. I do think the cost for private lessons is a bit steep, but understand that the resort only has a limited window of time in which to make a profit.

My girls have been going to this resort almost exclusively or the past 8 years.

They no longer need the instructions from the RoseBud program, but they are still very happy to ski on the slopes.

My only complaint is that on holiday weekends, the crowds can be overwhelming.

Suggest that anyone who wants to get in a few hours comes by 0745 and get in as many runs as one can. After about noon, the lines are just too long.

Visited December 2011

winder, ga
4 attraction reviews
“Great local spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Compared to the other Tahoe resorts I went to: Heavenly and Homewood, it had the least desirable views but they were still terrific. Snow was good, the mountain is a challenge for an east coaster like myself which I enjoyed (unlike Heavenly), I'd compare it to Solitude in Utah

Visited March 2012
elizabeth city, nc
15 attraction reviews
“A good, mostly locals mountain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I am a flatland eastcoaster who has been skiing 2-3 times a year for 30 years. At 50+, I'm not as adventurous as I used to be. I ski the western beginner slopes comfortably, and occasionally ski an intermediate. (And there IS a difference in the way they rate eastern vs western slopes--an eastern intermediate generally equals a tough western beginner.)

I visit Reno once a year to see the grandkids, and I generally go skiing 2-3 days while I am there. I usually get to Mt Rose at least 1 day, and I really enjoy the mountain for several reasons:

First , it is not connected to a resort. Locals go there to ski--not party--not see and be seen. Second, the cost is reasonable, especially compared to the Tahoe area resorts. Third, it is convenient to Reno. I can literally be door to door in 30 minutes. Fourth, the staff is friendly and helpful. Finally, it is beautiful. You can see Lake Tahoe from the top of one lift.

Yes, there are snowboarders, a small minority of whom can be obnoxious, but aren't they everywhere these days? And yes, there are lots of beginner ski classes who can take time on the lift, but it was not that long ago that I was one of them. I've skied several other mountains in the area, and generally enjoyed them, but I always come back to Mt Rose.

Visited February 2012
Reno, Nevada
25 attraction reviews
“Mom & Pop Mountain with incredible views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We LOVE Mt. Rose! I learned to ski there and will take my children! It's only 20 minutes up from Reno (South) and the tickets aren't badly priced. The new Slide Side lodge is great! There's outdoor seating at the main lodge for nice days!
There are student, lady days, and kids specials, The chutes offer tougher terrain while beginners will be comfortable!
Also, it's way up in the air so you'll get great snow!

Visited February 2012
Billings, Montana, United States
8 attraction reviews
“Locals' fave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Rose is still the quintessential locals mountain. Great skiing without the lines and designer outerwear. No one to impress; we all know who we are and are there to have a great time!

Visited January 2012

Been to Mt. Rose Ski Resort? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Mt. Rose Ski Resort, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.