“great food, service o.k.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Campo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 763 restaurants in Reno
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: First
Transit: Campo is located at First and North Sierra in the Palladio in the Riverwalk area.
Sparks, Nevada
“great food, service o.k.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was in the restaurant biz for 20+ years and worked at some first class places. I also grew up in Reno but have lived in San Diego, Miami and Palm Beach. I work in downtown Reno for District Court now, and took my buddy to lunch here because we share the same birthday. She works for a major law firm and is new to the area so walking to Campo was a nice way to show her around. The place had a good crowd and we received a friendly welcome upon our arrival. Still, it's very much that big city, Euro style that became popular 15 years ago. Tables two feet apart, lots of hard surfaces and super noisy. I have never been a fan and frankly, have a hard time relaxing in such places. Nonetheless, the lunch menu was a refreshing change from what I usually encounter around town. The selections were seasonally appropriate and simple. At the server's suggestion, I started with the roasted cauliflower. It was a chilly Feb. afternoon so I was looking forward to something warm and garlicky without being heavy and I was not disappointed. Just the cauliflower roasted with olive oil, garlic and little bits of toasty bread perfectly seasoned. A very nice start, and the butternut squash soup with the Chile oil drizzle was truly outstanding. The muffeletta sandwich was light and tasty and came with some perfectly fried potatoes accompanied by a sweet aioli. No complaints there! The portions were just right and the prices fair. The service throughout was adequate but little else. I realize the server didn't know us as we are not part of that downtown elite he's used to but I expected more. When I asked if there were canolis on the dessert menu he made it clear that "Campo is not an Italian restaurant." Okay, my mistake but that was about all he offered then walked away. When he came back, I told him to surprise us which is when he said we had birthday dessert coming. Great! My friend and I said we'd split one. Just vanilla ice cream with a dripping of fudge and a delicious chocolate base. Really good but I was a little surprised that he charged us for it. If I had known, I would have ordered off the menu instead. I have a lot of friends who own great restaurants around town and I'm a pretty accomplished cook. Since I can make most anything I want at home, service is a huge deal for me. Being a server for so many years, I am very forgiving and generous too. I may go back to Campo because the food was delicious and maybe my next server will remember that he's a waiter in downtown Reno. He's not curing cancer and I'm not looking for a miracle. Just a decent lunch with pleasant service.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

74% Recommend
San Luis Obispo, California
“Flavorful food and a great variety”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We recently dined downtown at Campo with friends. Excellent variety of Italian dishes. The seafood stew is very much like Chipino, loaded with seafood and an excellent broth. Pizza was also unique and quite good. Only complaint was that the service was a little slow. Over 2 hours for dinner on a week night is a little long. We went on a fairly cold winter night. Being right on the Truckee River this place must be awesome in the summer when they have patio dining with the river right in front

Reno, Nevada
“Great upscale addition to Reno food scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is an excellent new addition to the Reno food scene. The menu is bold but not overwhelming. I appreciate that the owner works with local farms and ranchers to provide the best, freshest meats and produce possible, and it shows. Food was high quality and very tasty. The interior is casual but very tasteful. Staff are generally very knowledgeable and helpful. Have been back several times, and each time it lives up and/or surpasses the previous visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Reno, Nevada
“Taking it up a Notch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Having been to Campo before, I was underwhelmed with the offerings and the ambiance. Last week, I went there for lunch with a business partner and was happily surprised by an awesome lunch special a notch up in service. Though not usually a heavy eater at lunch, they prepared a homemade lamb sausage that was out of this world! Being a die-hard foodie that is always willing to try the new...it was well worth the adventure. The biggest challenge was trying to eat this over-sized, Man-vs-Food sandwich (I won, my lunch partner had to take the rest to go!!).

It is always great to see a place continue to thrive in downtown. Not much of a need to tell you to check it out, it always seems packed!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tahoe City, California
“Casual sophisticated dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Campo offers a modern sophisticated menu in a casual setting on the Truckee River in downtown Reno. The menu is inventive but not intimidating. The wait staff is attentive. Campo works with local farmers and ranchers to provide the freshest produce and meats. The kale salad is second to none. And the best part? Not a slot machine is sight.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere