“Very interesting” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 45 Attractions in Reno
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Offering more than 224 vehicles on display, this museum contains one of the greatest car collections anywhere.
Calgary, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Wouldn't have been my first choice of places to visit! It was, however, very interesting. Many, many vehicles. All were so well presented.

• Korean first
Meadow Vista, California
14 attraction reviews
“Automobile History Spoken & Seen Here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

With a foundation of 175 autos from Bill Harrah's famous collection this place has grown to display a varied and distinctive history of automobiles. It's a visual gem. Many different variations, some one of a kind examples like a bright & shiny Copper body 1921 Rolls Royce, that's not far from a 1921 Ford Model T Kampkar camper conversion that predates the RV.

There's 4 major time grouped galleries and 3 time themed streets in between. Pick your era and go to town on it's theme street before entering the gallery. Give this place more time than you think you need, or be prepared to make a return trip.

The website says cameras welcome, but no tripods without permission. I called to see what's required for permission & was told to bring my tripod almost before I finished my sentence. The tripod rule is usually only enforced when the museum is crowded. My visit was during the week, and I had no problem working around other visitors until the afternoon crowd started to fill in. I recommend the AM.for photography. Staff is very visitor friendly.

There are complimentary audio devices which supplement the signage at each vehicle.

In my 3 hours there I only covered most of two galleries. I was photoing, and knew I'd have to be making return visits.

Pacifica, California
“Pretty cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We loved seeing all those amazing cars.

I was surpised there really isn't anything past the 60's, and 50's - 60's is very sparse.

Syracuse
“Surprisingly interesting collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We expected to be in and out of this museum in an hour. We were there for three hours. We made use of the devices they had which you could use at many spots in the museum to get information specific to the auto you were looking at. The collection was very well arranged, and you moved through the vehicles chronologically. There were several vehicles in the collection which were unique, since they were prototypes or one of very few made.

In addition to the vehicles, there were also other items of the appropriate eras on display or reproduced. There were articles of clothing displayed in cases, and there was "scenery" indicative of the times, such as saloon storefronts and 1950's gas pumps.

The museum was divided into four galleries. The first three were chronological, as I mentioned. The last gallery was a display of several motorsport vehicles.

I am not a big one for spending a lot of time looking at cars, but this museum kept me quite interested the whole way through.

Visited June 2013
San Rafael, California
5 attraction reviews
“Terrific Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

William Fisk Harrah died in 1978. In February of 1980 Holiday Inns, that was based in Memphis, Tennessee, acquired from Harrah's estate the roughly 6 million shares of Harrah's stock that he still owned. Included in the purchase price was Harrah's Automobile Collection of approximately 1,400 vintage automobiles. Holiday Inns unfortunately decided to sell the biggest part of the collection by auctions for $100 million. A small number of the vehicles were saved for the National Automobile Museum which is in Reno.
I remember visiting thousands of cars in funky warehouses in Sparks Nevada, they covered acres, I never went back after the sell-off.
Last week we visited the national Automobile Museum in Reno, it’s in a beautiful building on the river next to the original “Biggest Little City in the World” arch.
There are about 200 cars but they are choice, ranging from the Dyamaxium to early electrics and steamers, excellent cars in perfect restoration, they would be worth the trip alone, but the magic is in the presentation. Streets, stores, garages and costumes are the setting for many of the cars, and there are background sounds and music of appropriate eras for the age of the cars as you look at them. To me this created a strong nostalgic feeling, I never expected such an emotional experience looking at old cars.

Visited September 2013

Been to National Automobile Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage National Automobile Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.