“Best Hotel in Reno - But Not for Kids” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Myers, Florida
“Best Hotel in Reno - But Not for Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in July at the Peppermill. It was our second time there - and just like our first stay last year - the Peppermill is great. Great big pool, multiple bars, dance club, spa, delicious variety of restaurants, big health club - it has it all. Our only disappointment was we were traveling with our teen children - and kids are only allowed in the pool, the game room, a restaurant or hotel room. My wife wanted to have lunch in the spa with our 17 year old daughter (no massage or treatment - just lunch), but the Spa Mgr said they are very strict on under 18 in the spa. I can understand the last thing you want is a group of 12 year olds doing cannonballs and giggling in the tranquil spa pool - but a 17 year old accompanied by her Mom just for lunch? My wife and I also wanted to have a cocktail before dinner in the bar of the Chinese restaurnat and wanted to take our teens along - of course not to sit at the "bar" but just to sit at a table in the bar area and order some appetizers. But they would not allow anyone under 21 in the bar. At any restuarant at home, you can eat in the bar area anytime - just kids can't sit at the "bar". So we got our cocktails, the kids some coke & snacks & sat in the lobby of the conference center - pretty dull. And when my 14 year old son and I wanted to work out on the treadmill together in the gym - that couldn't happen because you have to be 16.

The Peppermill is a trendy nice hotel - perfect for gambling, eating and drinking - for adults. I know it's a casino - but just seems that the hotel could be a little more family friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
Fairfield, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I booked a reservation for fathers day weekend on line and it was horrifying! I spoke to seven reservation specialist who told me something different everytime I called! The worst part was the 6th reservation specialist who talked bad about me over the computer as i was talking to specialist number seven! By the way I cancelled my reservation for that weekend after all that miscommunication!! Long story short the hotel is awesome but call them to book your room!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Twin Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I got a mailer form the Peppermill for 2 free nights in a Tower room and $50 free play and a $15 resort credit.They are very generous with their comps!
After driving 500 miles we arrived late and Tory at check in gave us a free upgrade to a Tuscany Tower suite!It was very nice and so unexpected!
We had fun in the casino and won a little.
The restaurants were pricey though so we drove else where to eat!
This was my second trip to the Peppermill and I highly recomend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

The Montego Bay Wing is poorly decorated with heavy, dark furniture, dark carpet, dark wallpaper and purple stripped drapes which look like they came from a garage sale. Three lights were equipped with 40 watt bulbs, which didn't provide enough light by which to read. The advertised "luxury linens" aren't provided in the Montego Bay Wing. All this with a view of a wall. After one night in the Montego Bay Wing, we were moved to the Tuscany Tower and had a delightful room. Housekeeping is more than sloppy and calls to housekeeping brought a halfhearted response. Biscotti, the restaurant in the tower, had memorable food, great servers and no wait for a table when we were there. The casino has $1.00 and $0.01 slots mainly. Almost no $0.25 slots. Smoke in the casino is overwhelming and there is no way to enjoy the casino without inhaling tremendous amounts of it. The pool area is very nice and well staffed. There are casino owners and innkeepers. The person who operates the Peppermill is a casino owner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Prior to our trip to Hot August Nights I read some of the reviews. Wasn't sure as some of the reviews weren't so good. Let me tell you after our stay of four nights Everything about the Peppermill was really nothing but THE BEST. The employees were very helpful and really did everything to make your stay seem like you were family. Rooms very clean, very nice beds and pillows, rooms were absolutely Great! We ate at several of the inside restaurants and everyone had really good food and service. They really treat you well at this place, so if you want to be treated with care and like family stay at The Peppermill. FANTASTIC PLACE*** We are going back next year...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I just came back from a 3 day vacation in Reno. It was my first trip in Reno and the Peppermill seemed like a good place to stay from opinions of others. The casino looks great, I love the atmosphere. Being from California I'm so used to the convenience of no smoking in public areas, so the smoke EVERYWHERE I had to get used to. I do wish there was a non smoking zone though---- like there is in other casinos like the nearby Atlantis. The restaurants were good, I dined in all of them in the Peppermill including the coffee shops and deli. My food was great everywhere, service in the restaurants decent too (only the BBQ had a slow time... but they were busy with only 1 poor guy working the floor). Now my biggest complaint is the rooms, for the price the room was small with little amenties. I had the spa suite, and to be fair, the spa was nice. There's no fridge or microwave (which I wanted because the restaurants close early and if you're up late you're stuck going elsewhere for food--- I would've bought an earlier dinner at the Peppermill and save it for the middle of the night). The towels had holes in them, housekeeping was only so-so as there was dust on things, and my shower wouldn't drain. I commented to the front desk and despite assurances that housekeeping would be up to drain, they never did. I also had an adjoining room and it was extremely noisy. From the map on the door of the towers a vast majority of the rooms were adjoining rooms, so be careful of that problem. That's my experience, there were some problems I wasn't thrilled about but I still enjoyed my time there. Like I said the casino and restaurants look awesome and the food tasted great (especially Oceano and Saucys). Next time I go back to Reno I will not be staying at the Peppermill again though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cromwell, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed here for a business trip with about 800 colleagues. The Tuscany tower was gorgeous with all the amenities and I'd have to say the nicest room I've ever stayed in on the government's dime. However, I had buddies who were at the same resort that were in the other tower and I saw pics of their rooms, which were really gross. The only other bad thing I'd say about the whole place was there were smokers EVERYWHERE and no matter where you wanted to eat, you had to go thru the casino to get there. Of course, the casino is filled with elderly smokers wasting their Social Security checks...

If they had a non-smoking section of the hotel, I'd go back. Otherwise, I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Peppermill Resort Spa Casino? Share your experiences!