“Could have been better...” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Could have been better...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

The hotel looks nice, rates were affordable, and the location was good. Took us while to check in as the line was pretty long, but that can't be helped I suppose. When we get up to the desk the clerk was very nice, but it was kind of a disappointment when we find out that the room we reserved was not located in the actual "new" part of the hotel/casino, but in the old (refurbished) original hotel building, but for the price of $55, I won't complain. When we arrived into the building, it had an old stale, cigarette smell to it (even some guy that was walking down the hall had a lit cigarette smoking). Now this was a bit irritating as we reserved "non-smoking"...but I digress. The room was pretty nice when entering with a nice screen tv on the wall and large bathroom, however the maids were obviously against dusting furniture. I find that a bit gross. The top of the bed was full of dust, light fixtures, lamps had dust all over them, and even the souvenir jars with candies and such that you can but extra (which I never do anyway) had dust collected all over them. After settling in, we decided to go check out the casino and restaurants there. I guess in the state of Nevada they don't have a "no smoking" law indoors which becomes a bit irritating especially when you are at a restaurant eating your meal. I swear the casino was pretty much filled with cigarette and cigar smoke, every other person I looked at had a cigarette either in their mouth or hand. Now the casino part didn't surprise me as Casinos are like bars, there is going to be smoke, but when you walk around a hotel you shouldn't smell cigarette smoke and then have your clothes smell like an ash tray. The buffet at the hotel we decided to eat at ( I regret, but was starving by this point) "Island Buffet" was a complete rip off. The tropical atmosphere setting was kind of neat, but the food was mediocre at best and believe me when you are paying $30 (which is outrageous to begin with, but once again was hungry and tired) the food better be darn good. We took a look at the buffet before deciding to eat there and it looked quite impressive with a ton of different types of entrees, salads, desserts, etc., but the taste of the food wasn't impressive at all. Thank goodness we only stayed one night as this hotel wasn't all that terrific all around and well heck what else more is there to be done in Reno anyway? There is a first time for everything and I won't nor would I recommend this hotel and certainly won't be coming back to Reno since the most fun thing to do there was going to see a movie. My recommendation: stay away from this hotel and (unless you have some dyer need to go to Reno) go to Vegas, there is plenty more to do and see.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,387)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

I can't believe anyone would give the Peppermill anything but 5 stars. The rooms are beautiful, the food excellent, and the VIP service exceptional. The new Theater is GREAT!! I never go anywhere but The Mill !!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Lake Tahoe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

My Deluxe Peppermill Tower room was nice and the well designed furniture was new. I asked for a receieved a free room upgrade to the 14th floor. Carpet & upholstery were new. My room had a view of the Sierras and the bedding was great! I felt nicked & dimed with the $7.85 resort fee just like many other reviewers who had the same experience. My bathroom sink & shower were clogged upon arrival but maintenance was very nice and took care of the problem quickly. He said it was due to the new remodel being done on the propery. The internet service is $12 per day. The coffee pot in the room is $5 per day. There were plenty of electrical outlets to plug in my computer and phones. The room was light, airy, had original oil paintings and a 42 inch plasma TV, etc. Batheroom had granite countertops, room had marble table. Employees were nice. I just do not like paying for things that are included in the cost of the room at most hotels. Bimini restaurant was good...not great but good. I would recommend this hotel as a strong 3.5 stars. Could be 4 stars if they fixed the plumbing. There was some noice coming from the strrong winds outside, but that was not the hotel's fault. Now you know and knowing is half the battle! :) Hotwire did not disclose the resort fee when I booked the room and when I called to complain they got VERY nasty.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Reno, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

Stayed two nights and had a remodeled room in the older part of the hotel. While the view was awful (3rd floor) the room itself was very nice. Brand new flat screen television, excellent furnishings, and high quality linens. We scored the room, a $100 credit at the steak house, $110 spa credit, passes to the night club adn admission for $139. Well worth it for a weekend staycation.

Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Ok so my overall experience with this hotel was great! My fiance and I visited the Peppermill last year on Valentine's Day weekend. We stayed in their Montego Bay tower. Needless to say the decor in the room was very outdated... blue EVERYWHERE! They were in the middle of building their new Tuscany tower wing. But we still had a blast! The room was clean and I won 250 dollars on the slots! The Island Buffet was yummy! The 24hr cafe came in handy after a long night of partying! And was also tasty!

Well needless to say we wanted to go back and make this our annual VDAY trip! So we went back. We actually booked a package deal that they had 199 per person which included a couples massage a bottle of champagne and a dinner for two at their new restaurant Bimini's and a suite in their Peppermill tower room with an upgrade at the door. Well we called Weds before the trip (check in friday) to book our massages and book Vday dinner. I know stupid us! lol Anyway we called and of course everytihg was BOOKED! There was nothing! So I talked to the reservations department. This was the only bad thing about the trip really! I spoke with an agent explained to her the problem. Asked what wwe could do. Since we have paid for a complete package that we weren't going to be able to redeem. Besides the room. And the rep I spoke with said, there was nothing we could do besides cancel the reservations and get into another room, the problem was that there werent any rooms available. So I said your tellin me that I have to cancel my reservatons completely or pay for something I'm not redeeming?!?!?!?! So I asked to speak with a supervisor, who politely got on the phone told me she would remove me from the package and place me at the regular rates for the rom oer night which was 89.99 for Friday and 99.99 for Saturday. So I was very pleased!

Anywho so when we got there on Friday. The front desk Rep advised us that there weren't any rooms available on the Peppermill Tower to upgrade to so what she would do is upgrade us to their Patio/Veranda Suite on the newly built Tuscany Tower side. And all this for free! They wouldnt even charge us the 40.00 upgrade that we were originally going to pay to upgrade at the door!

The room was gorgeous! Clean! Maids were nice! Always spoke when saw us! It was great just see the pictures!

We decided to go to The club that they have in Peppermill now, Club Edge for Valentine's Day. It was horrible! We are not the 80's and 90's club techno hits kindve people! lol. I mean they played Eddie Murphy's Party All Night Long [-]?!?! Club was super nice though! Set up was great!

SO our overall stay was great I would reccommend this hotel to anyone! Just do not stay in the Monetgo Bay Wing if your lookin for a more updated room.

• Liked — The rooms and customer service was great!
  • Disliked — The originally booking was a hassle!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lake Clarke Shores
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

I got stiffed two years in a row on booking a jacuzzi suite. In 2008 I booked 3 months in advance a jacuzzi suite and when we went to check in, we were told no jacuzz suites were available that night. We were told that we could get a "regular" room for the night and would be moved to the jacuzzi suite the next day. Next day comes and we go down to front desk and ask what time our jacuzzi suite would be ready and they tell us after 3pm. We go out skiing for the day and return after 3pm and go to front desk to ask about our jacuzzi suite and we are told "we don't know what you are talking about, we have no jacuzzi suites available" I have to verbally fight with the manager for a whole hour before he begrudgingly gives us a jacuzzi suite.
The next year we try again to get a jacuzzi suite and we are told by the hotel reservation expert that if we pay in advance that we would have no problem this time. So we pay in advance and guess what happens when we check in---- that's right---no jacuzzi suite...once again "massive" aggrevation with the manager verbally fighting to get our money back or a jacuzzi suite... this hotel has very bad management and rude front desk staff that does not care make your vacation a happy one...it will be memorable....but the memories won't be good

• Liked — Plush hotel
  • Disliked — terrible management
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Silverdale, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

My son-in-law and I had stayed in the Tucany Tower Suites one year ago, and I wanted to go back with my wife to see if it was the same. I especially wanted to go after reading some of the reviews where individuals were certainly not happy. We have stayed at the Peppermill before the Tuscany Tower was built. We are gold card holders. Our room was compted, and we were given $200 in free play for the slots. Upon arriving, there was a long line for check-in, but, with a gold card and complimentary room, we knew we could go to VIP services, and did so. We sat in a nice lounge and in probably 5 minutes, had a room assigned. Entering the room, we wanted to check out all the things others had written. The room was clean, no smell, everything worked. Non-smoking with no smoke smell. My previous review I mentioned the can light over the sink throws a poor light on your face for shaving, and this was the same. Minus 1 point. From our window, we could see the mountains and downtown Reno. This really is a great room. Yes, it's not really a suite, but, it's at least as big as the Rio "suites" in Vegas. Our friends stayed at Harrah's and could not believe how nice our room was. When you get your player's card, ask for a coupon book. We did and got $10 off breakfast. Over 55, you get 10% anyway. You can not get better food than at the Coffee Shop. We also used a coupon for $20 off the buffet we went to with friends. Great buffet....I didn't see what people before had listed as complaints. The price was somewhat high ($30), so the $20 off helped. The quantity and quality of food made up for it. It's on a par with Silver Legacy's buffet, and certainly better than Harrah's. We broke the $200 free play into $20 segments at slots and came away with over $600. That paid for our round trip air transportation to Reno, and food. I play craps, and also walked away a winner ($600+). We had no difficulties with any of the personel...they were all friendly and helpful. Good crews at the crap tables. For now, a trip to Reno for us means staying at the Peppermill, and we've stayed at them all! We'll wait for another offer, and hope it comes soon!.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Peppermill Resort Spa Casino? Share your experiences!