“It was what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

2014 Sustainability Award
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“It was what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The hotel was pretty good for Reno. It has a Vegas-esque feeling when you arrive, the checkin process was fine. We had a Tower Suite Room with one-suite mountain view. The room was nice and big, the bedding was a little dated, but the mattress was pretty good. We liked the large bathroom and soaking tub. We enjoyed the very heated small pool. We would probably return if we needed a place to stay in Reno.

Room Tip: The Tower Suites were large and acceptable. They did not smell like smoke at all and were clean.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,342)
Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Peppermill one night at the end of our vacation. The room décor was not my style, but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. It is a large complex and it takes awhile to find your way around-but it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the older areas of the hotel and that was fine. But if you are staying more tha...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I spent 2 days at the Peppermill resort in Reno. Very nice place, staff very friendly down to valet. Checking in Sylvia at the front desk was most helpful and made it possible for me to be on the same floor as my friends. The Room, awesome! I had a jacuzzi in my room and my shower was its own steam room. Checking out keyshia was very pleasant and made sure All of my charges were correct and my stay there was to satisfaction. Cafe Milano, hands down the best breakfast I ever had. Make sure you Def try it.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Very nice Hotel room, with very nice staff. However, the original keys I received did not work, so I had to go down in wait in line to get a second set of keys. They didn't work either, so I made another trip downstairs, and the hotel sent security up to let me in the room. He told me they would be up within a hour with new keys. An hour passed and noone showed up. I called the front desk, and the lady was rather rude when I explained my dilemma...it was 10:30 p.m., how much longer did I need to wait I asked? Anyway, 18 minutes later someone showed up with keys that worked. Sorry, I drove all day and was tired so I didn't give the nice "kid" a tip.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I stayed there while visiting family in Reno. I'd been there many times for meals and it's just down the street from my brother so a perfect location and price for us. We would have stayed in the Tuscany Tower as it's much nicer but we were rarely in the room. We got an excellent rate on Travelocity which made it a good deal for us. It's obviously a gambling community but also has easy access to the High Sierras.

We stayed on a non-smoking floor which was perfect but we still had to walk through a smoking area to get to the front desk and elevators and I'm very sensitive to smoke. Guess there are no "good places" for non-smokers in Reno. Our only bad experience at the hotel was with their wifi which was extremely slow and unreliable. Check-in and check-out was fast and easy.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Tuscany Tower are nicer.
Green Features: Not only is there so much smoking throughout the establishment, I was surprised there was no policy about reusing towels and taking short showers since it's in a severe drought area.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Kernville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Recently at a family reunion, I had no choice but to stay at the Peppermill. Before I arrived, I was concerned because that last time I was at the Peppermill (approx 10 years ago) it was an old run down place. Casino was dingy and rooms rundown. So I was very happily surprised when I checked in! Casino was upgraded and the rooms (in the separate small building on north side) were beautiful! You could tell they were upgraded recently. The only negative thing about the stay was the "tray of tempting - in the way food"! We accidentally moved the large tray and a bottle fell off. We didn't notice it until awhile later. We were charged for the water and had to fight to get it removed. But all in all - I would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2014
Carson City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I'm not even sure where to begin, but suffice it to say, I am not a fan. In fact, I'd never, ever stay here again. Allow me to explain:

I was in Reno for a full week, and, through internet research, (even on this site), I learned that The Peppermill is the "Premier" Resort in the entire town. I have no idea who rates this hotel so highly, but I can only guess that they've never been to a true, five star resort. Or four star. Or three star. Or two or one star. People need to get out more.

Although the check- in went smoothly, and I appreciated the efficiency of the staff, it went downhill from there. I stayed in a Tuscan King suit- and there was nothing sweet about it. The room was dark- even with every light turned on to high (not a bad thing, given the level of cleanliness in the room I was about to discover). Although listed as a suit, it was not- it was one large room with an equally large bath (perhaps management needs to learn that a suit means more than one). The room was decorated in what can only be described as "Tony Soprano on crack"- every single piece of furniture, every linen on the bed, every gold, ornate frame around the TV (yes, you read that correctly), looked as though the decorator was from the school of "Italian More is More and Then Some, Here, Have Something Tacky". If there was wall space, it apparently needed to be filled in with a gaudy rendition of an Italian country scene, in abstract form, of course, and then framed in gold (after the shiny black plastic matting). Black decorative molding around the floor, met white-veined marble - tiled flooring, which met yellow-painted walls, which then met different colored ceilings. There were at least five lamps in the room, and while the maroon and black lampshades matched, albeit in different sizes, each and every gold lamp was of a different design, and turned on in different ways. Perhaps they were trying to detract from the fact that the room was surface clean only- when I put my hand on the sink faucet bottom, there was a film of filth. The sheets on the bed had small, tiny, numerous holes- they had obviously been washed too many times, and needed to be thrown away. The gold abstract bedspread (yes gold again) was frayed, the heavy burgundy-flowered drapes had stains, and the white inner drapes had large, yellow stains and a nicotine sheen that I know were not part of the original decor. The extra blanket on the closet shelf looked as though it was previously used in a local hospital, and then sold at a garage sale. It was frayed, filthy, and incredibly used looking. The windows were dirty, and there was dust on the bathroom floor under the sink.

The bathroom vanity mirror did not light up, the bathroom tv did not respond when the remote was used, and the bedside phone was broken. Good thing there was a phone right next to the toilet! How convenient! My cell phone had no access to any cell- service in the room (although it was no problem in the lobby), and I kept getting kicked off the hotel's wireless every 15 minutes for "malicious activity". Really?? Browsing CNN and The NY Times constitute malicious activity? The water glasses near the ice bucket and in the bathroom were disgusting- as if they were "cleaned" with the same rag that "cleaned" the tub, and the coffee maker wasn't fit to be used by animals, yet alone people. Shocking for a "Premier" Resort.

The daily newspaper I had been promised appeared on my first morning- and then never again. I suppose that was my fault- when I asked for the daily paper, I neglected to say every day. Live and learn.

The casino's state-of-the-art air purifier spoken so highly off by management on this very site? I have no idea what they may actually have, but I saw at least eight, stand alone, plug-into-the-wall-outlet air purifiers in the casino- you know, the kind you or I would buy for our bedroom at home. Needless to say, the entire Hotel, especially on the first floor, smelled like a smoker's paradise- nicotine highs all around, and you didn't even need to touch a cigarette!

Despite making an appointment to use the spa, via my in-room toilet area phone, (I told you this was convenient!), and despite the spa having my personal information (such as my cell phone number which I gave them at the time I actually made the reservation), when I showed up for the service, they had no such booking. Despite my phone reservation, staff never gave me an appointment , even though while on the phone during the booking I was given an admonition about being there 15 minutes early, and having a six hour window to cancel or I would be charged for the service.The very young staff at the front desk made light of this- and no arrangement was, or could be made for the service at a future date. I could have bought a $32.00 bottle of bubble bath though, had I been so inclined. I wasn't.

As for staff, while some of them were incredibly nice and wanted to help, this was not the overall attitude. A simple housekeeping request (for additional hangers) took three phone calls and two hours. A request to fix the afore-mentioned broken vanity mirror took over an hour and a half to respond to, and by then, I was in bed with the "do not disturb" sign on the door. I know this, because the employee insisted on knocking anyway, and when I wouldn't open the door, he proceeded to get miffed at me- the fact that I had called long before he showed up and was, after all that time spent waiting, in pajamas and in bed was lost on him. He left by saying he'd be back in the morning, but you know how that ended- I spent the week with a broken mirror.

I do have some nice things to say. There are plenty of places to eat, and the food was fair. The people in the casino (a story in and off itself) seemed to be enjoying themselves, and though I never did get to try out the pools, the three people who I observed there over the course of the week seemed to have a nice time. This though, would never get me back to the hotel. Nothing would. Not even the nice maintenance man who, when through fixing my front lock which wasn't accepting my door key, figured out how to actually close the ironing board so I could put it back in the closet.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Peppermill Resort Spa Casino? Share your experiences!