“Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
palm beach
“Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We were a little hesitant to stay here based on reading the reviews- but it turned out to be a wonderful stay! The room was very nice in the Towers. Bellstaff and valet couldn't have been better. The only two areas that need improvement are the front desk (rude and very slow) and housekeeping (they do a great job, but start knocking on your door at 9 a.m even if you are booked for the week!) Great gym too (cost an add't $10 a day). We will be back again!!!!

• Liked — Our room, black jack dealers
  • Disliked — front desk, early housekeeping staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,506)
Portland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

We use to stay at the Peppermill every year in the 80's abd early 90's and always had a great time. We then discovered Las Vegas and Reno paled in comparison so we stopped going to Reno and the Peppermill I was on tripadvisor and really encouraged by the very positive reviews and decided to try out Reno and the Peppermill again. We arrived about dinner time on Friday August 1, 2008 and ate at the Oceano. I had a great salad with a very generous portion of salmon. My wife had a hamburger and enjoyed it One of my sons ate the Sushi. About one and a half hours later, he was violently sick and throwing up in our toilet. At about the same time, I found out that the pool closed at 8pm and was shocked. We brought our two boys and one was 19 and swam for his high school swim team. I was counting on the pool to keep him occupied while we gambled. They have a workout room but charge $10 a day for that and their internet access is $12/day.

When I made the reservation, I told the hotel that we wanted two king beds for four people and wanted a larger suite. She told me the suites did not have two king beds in them except for the Tuscany Double King Suite. She said it would be perfect. for us This is a room in their newer tower. The room is bascially an oversixed motel room with not much room beyond the beds. My wife and I are use to larger acomadations whenever we travel and she was experiencing " claustrophibic" when she tried to sleep. I was rather frustrated at this time as my one son under 21 could not swim at night, my other son had food poisoning which we reported to security and now my wife couldn't sleep in our room because she felt "claustrophibic". I went down to the front desk and explained the situation to a person at the front desk. I asked if they had any larger rooms with two king beds. He said, that if I would take a "smoking room", he could fix the probelm. I checked out the "smoking room" and it didn't smell too bad and told him that I would take it. He said that I would have to pay $45 extra a night for the florence suite. I told him that I could have reserved the florence suite at a lower price than my current room but the hotel clerk wrongly told me that they did not come with two king beds. I asked him to discuss it with his manager as I didn't feel that I should bear the financial responsibility since it was their mistake in the first place. The clerk came back to me after speaking with the night manager(Russell). Russell told the clerk if I wanted the same rate, I should have booked the Florence sutie at the time of my reservation instead of the Tuscany Double King Suite. I asked the clerk if I could speak to the manager directly. Russell (the night manager) came over and did not even pretend to care about my concern. Instead of asking me to explain the problem, he immediately told me that I would have to pay $45/night for the different room. I was shocked at his rudeness and lack of professional mannerisms and told him so. I told him that I have never been treated so rudely and he kept rudely repeating this mantra that it would have to pay more for the room if I wanted it. I left for my room as I knew this wasn't going to get me anywhere as he did not care for my happiness at all. I called the day manager a day later and he never returned my call. When we checked out, I again asked for the day manager as I did not want anybody to experience what we had! The day manager listened to my story and was very apologetic and said the the night manager(Russell) should not have acted that way.

In addition to the Oceano, we ate at their buffett, Biscotti's and cafe and were severely disappointed in the quality of food especially in the buffett's.. My son and wife thought the food was terrible although they did like the pizza and asian food at Biscotti's. I had the chicken fettucini there and it disappointed. Reno is still very haggard and worn down in the downtown area although they have improved the area round the river. We would never return to the Peppermill and would stay at the Atlantis or Grand Sierra if we did. Las Vegas is 100 times better though and we will continue to go to Las Vegas r for sun, food and entertainment.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Night manager Russell was a nightmare!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

My husband and I, both Seniors, have stayed at the Peppermill several times over the years. We have stayed in both the New Tuscany Tower and the old Tower ( which they are now renovating) and we have been very pleased with all the rooms.

We have eaten at several of the Restaurants and been very satisfied . Especially the Buffet! They have a great selection of food and even make things for you while you watch.

We always have a good time in the Casino. Sometimes UP and sometimes DOWN ............... usually we come out fine.

I am really lookig forward to trying the new pool!

The people that work there are very nice and helpful. I have talked with several of them that have told me that when the get up in the morning they are happy to come to work ............... they are treated well.

We have ALWAYS been treated well and with RESPECT. We are going back again soon. Our reservations are all made.

I would recommend the Peppermill to anyone!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colorado Springs, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

We booked this for Hot August Nights event. Last time @ HAN noticed a lot of activites took place there. Were looking to do this whole trip inexpensively~thus the Montego Bay room. Noticed EVERYONE (but us- since we were prepaid) was offered an upgrade at checkin. Our 1st room the AC was more than NOISY. Called & they sent repairmen right away. Couldn't fix (in fact we noticed them in that room the whole next day- unit had to be replaced.)~ He suggested we ask for another room which we did (after having unpacked our stuff.) They offered an upgrade for $50 per nite which we declined. They then just moved us down the hall.New room was fine & bed comfortable. No room in refrig for anything but their pricey drinks & snacks. It was a huge hike through construction to get to anything in the hotel. Finally had a construction worker show us a short cut thru the construction. Lots of construction noise at the pool & debris from construction floating in water.~not the most relaxing way to spend your vacation. Found the restaurants to be a bit pricey but nice w/great service ! Didn't appreciate the added "resort fee" added on per day at check out. What resort? 2 pools with unrelenting construction noise & junk in the water does not a resort make! Parking was another nightmare-due to the construction & the HAN event, couldn't get into the parking lot (& yes there were unsused spaces) near this part of the hotel. Parked for 2 nites on the street behind~ not so safe. I think that the Tuscany Towers were great & probably we whould have upgraded. This WILL BE a beautiful hotel, but am still missing how they consider it a resort?

• Liked — The room itself was comfortable
  • Disliked — The construction
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We came to Reno to elope. We're having a ceremony later but just couldn't wait any longer. Anyway, when we arrived we were told we were going to be upgraded from a Grand Suite to the Luxury Suite. I asked if this suite had a 4-person Jacuzzi as I was told the Grand and Imperial Suites have these over the telephone more than once and also I was told this by someone once we arrived.

Come to find out neither of these rooms have anything larger than a 2 person MAX soaking-type tub. The whole reason we booked our reservation here was for the larger jacuzzi so we weren't thrilled with that. But we figured this would work out and we were in a rush as we had to be at the Wedding Chapel in 45 minutes.

So after having to wait for 15 minutes until our room was ready we only had time to change and freshen up. Not what we planned for our wedding but thankfully it was a private ceremony and there were no pictures.

The room was stuffy and smelt weird. And not in a good way. So we went and very joyfully got married and returned afterward to change into shorts as it was hot. When we walked into our room, it was still hot and the temperature hadn't changed even 1 degree! The Air Conditioning didn't work.

We went down to the front desk and told them about this and asked if they either had another room with a larger jacuzzi or with working Air Conditioning as it was already getting late and we hadn't even eaten yet that day! Anyway, they said maintenance would be there shortly and that we should go wait for them.

Thankfully they showed up immediately but all they did was pound on the FILTHY filter and get dirt and dust all over the floor and all throughout the air (we're both allergic to dust.) So they then called housekeeping and said they would be right over and we should wait. So we waited... And waited. Come midnight we said forget it and finally went to eat at the Coffee Shop (which wasn't good.)

We gambled a little bit and happily did well. We made a couple of bucks, nothing big but then again we weren't there too long and we feel if you break even you've won. LOL

We did enjoy the tub and the shower was nice as it was large enough for 2 although the shower curtain was too short and kept blowing into the shower. A door would've been much nicer.

We sort of sat in the living area but the furniture wasn't very comfy so we hung out in bed which was VERY COMFORTABLE!!! I must say that the bed was above and beyond most I've ever slept in! We both slept really well.

The next day when we went to check out we voiced our concerns about the air conditioning not working and the mess that was never cleaned up and the girl helping us referred us to her manager.

We were extremely happy to speak with him as he was empathetic and very helpful. We mentioned that we're supposed to be staying at The Peppermill again when our public wedding takes place and he offered to upgrade us from the Imperial Suite to one of the Tuscany Suites in the new Tuscan Towers. He even took us over there himself for us to look at one of the rooms which was quite impressive and kind.

Although I can't say we were overly impressed as we don't even know what the Imperial Suite looks like (only in the pictures on their website... and that looks nicer) it seemed clean, new and the shower, tub and bed looked like a step up from the other room we were in. Unfortunately the living furniture wasn't comfy, that's okay as I don't think we'll be spending much time there. :)

So he gave us this room for the already discounted price we got for our original reservation in a few months and waived the internet fee since we attempted to use the internet TV in our room but it wasn't very good.

If it weren't for his hospitality and professionalism we wouldn't be going back to The Peppermill to stay. But we would to gamble! So we're going to give it another shot. Hopefully the 2nd time around will be much better. Also that newer part of the hotel is MUCH nicer and quieter.

I would give this a 3.5 if possible but I'll say 4 because the management went above and beyond what most places would do! I'll come back after our 2nd visit and say whether it was better or worse or ???

I would suggest The Peppermill BUT I wouldn't get your hopes up when being told something on the phone (or even in person) as it seems much of the staff doesn't know a lot about the different rooms. By the way, the manager told me that only the Penthouse suites have the larger jacuzzis.

• Liked — The Management ROCKED! They upgraded our next stay at an already slightly discounted rate. The jacuzzi wasn't tiny, the shower was larger and the bed was VERY comfy!
  • Disliked — Told things that were inaccurate and the fact that we spent our honeymoon waiting around for things being fixed or cleaned up. Kind of pricey for what you get. Internet is expensive!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

My wife & I stayed for one night during our recent roadtrip, we had intended to stop for longer but due to the smoke from the wildfires we moved on further East.
We had not booked in advance but we were offered a spa room for $119 which we thought was good value. The room was great, clean, spacious and all the staff we met were very helpful.
We ate in the buffet which was quite dissapointing, overpriced for what was on offer. Their wine list was one of the most overpriced I have seen for a long time.
The fireside lounge is an excellent place to sit and enjoy a glass of wine, would say that it is the best bar area in the hotel.
We were quite lucky on the slots with both my wife and I showing a good profit (about 500%).
There is a lot of buliding work still going on but it did not bother us. Overall we enjoyed our brief stay but not the buffet.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — buffet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

Had to change hotels at midnight and called the Peppermill. They said come on over and we'll take care of you and they did. I was in tears and so tired by the time I got there. They gave me one of the best rooms I've ever had. It was on the 16th floor with a mountain view. So quiet, no kids or teenager noise. I will never stay at another hotel when I'm in Reno except the Peppermill. I tried the new Smokehouse BBQ restaurant. The service was a little slow, but the food was great. Huge portions and lots of different sauces to choose from. Had room service for breakfast 2 days and it came in 20 minutes both times. Everything was hot and they added all the little extras to the tray that you usually have to ask for. If you want to feel like a millionaire and be pampered, stay in the Tuscany Towers.

• Liked — Great bed, clean and spa tub.
  • Disliked — Nothing...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Peppermill Resort Spa Casino? Share your experiences!