“Always a pleasure whether we're lucky at gaming or not!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Reno
GreenLeadersGold level
Parma, Idaho
“Always a pleasure whether we're lucky at gaming or not!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We thoroughly enjoy our trips to the Peppermill for three or four days at a time. We have been pretty good customers for many years and are always surprised by the positive changes the owners make to this casino resort. The staff is always friendly, helpful and pleasant to pass a little time with. We have never had any difficulties with our reservations, in fact, if they are booked to the hilt, the reservation folks always put in a request for anything you may desire that may presently not be available.

The gaming is fun. The video poker machines are most fair in their payouts. The penny games are always a hoot if to do nothing more than be entertained by the onscreen videos or bonuses. The blackjack tables are spacious with the most pleasant waitresses offering you whatever you would like to drink. We enjoy the high limit slot area as it is generally quieter than most of the casino. Smoke is not a problem in this casino. I can't figure out their system to prevent smokers being an annoyance, but it works well.

Biscotti's is a fabulous light meal spot for us with wonderful salads, soups and crepes. For a fancier meal, we prefer Chi, their GREAT Chinese restaurant. We like to sit at the bar attached to the Chi and chow down on a snack occasionally if we want to gamble and eat simultaneously.

Their Player's Club offers up tons of Comps and certainly entices you back for more. We love the variety of suites available and get upgrades through our Comps.

There is only one disappointment for us. They used to have Black Jack Tournaments; both big ones and weekly locals tournaments. Now if we want to be in a tournament we must go elsewhere. We had made lots of buddies over the years going to these events, but now the locals go to another spot and let us know where that was...thank goodness.

The rooms are fabulous, always clean, have safes in-room to store your hoards of cash, and have simply elegant furnishings. I, myself, love the beds, the linens, the assortment of pillows, and the double curtains (sheers and black outs).

All in all, it is a fun place to visit. If you are flying in, they offer a shuttle to and from the airport. The Concierge can answer most any question and make suggestions for whatever you would like to do in Reno.

I keep meaning to get to the Spa, but have an affinity for gaming! Maybe next time!

This casino resort may not be downtown, but it is totally self-sustaining with entertainment. If you want a change of ambience, just a few blocks away is the Atlantis. I, myself, prefer this safer environment to walking the streets after dark downtown.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,387)
San Jose
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

It has been 20 years since I last stayed at the Peppermill. A talented lounge singer we love (Chris Costa) is now performing at the Peppermill so we were excited to stay here and see all the changes that have been made.

I just got off the phone with a reservation agent to book my stay and the conversation went like this:

Agent: What kind of room do you need?
Me: One with two beds - nonsmoking
Agent: I recommend the Tuscan Towers, the rooms are bigger and you have a better chance of getting a non-smoking room with two beds. But we can't guarantee a room with two beds or a non-smoking room. It is first come first serve. If you don't get a room with two beds we can always bring in a roll away for you at no charge.
Me: I don't think that will work. I'd like a room with two beds and it has to be non-smoking. If I am selecting a room with two beds online or booking through you shouldn't I be able to get that room - unless of course you are falsely advertising?
Agent: No, we have a disclaimer before you book that your room type is not guaranteed.
Me: Thanks, but I really don't think this will work for us since you can't guarantee our selection.

It is beyond me why a hotel would want to make a traveler stress prior to their trip on whether or not they will get the room they asked for. Bad customer service!

One star for the reservation agent trying to be pleasant, sympathetic, and understanding to the frustration of the customer.

Another one for hiring Chris Costa.

Enough said...I'm searching for another hotel now.

Room Tip: Since room types are not guaranteed - good luck! You may or may not get what you ask for.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Peppermill_Director, Guest Relations Manager at Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Thank you for posting a review of us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you sharing your room booking experience with us. We hate to lose your business as we know you would love staying with us……especially since you haven’t been here in 20 years! Most every hotel or resort of any size with various room types will typically book a certain number of reservations based on the number of room types available and then put this master puzzle together each night getting everyone into their requested room. Occasionally it does happen that we may not have a particular room type that a guest has requested. This may be due to circumstances beyond our control such as situations in which guests that are due out cannot leave or some change in a large group’s requirements that change our balance of inventory. Even though this is rare, it still prevents us from telling guests as they book rooms with us that their room type will be “guaranteed”. We are very careful about putting this puzzle together and we run pretty close to 100% in getting people into their requested room. Most often we will upgrade our guests into a higher level of room if we can’t get them into their requested room.
We do hope that you enjoy Chris Costa. He is absolutely a smash hit with us and we have visitors from all over the country coming in to hear his fabulous voice and enjoy his show in our lounge. I hope you will give us a chance and book with us..….we are in Nevada but the odds are definitely in your favor on this one!
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We would not stay anyplace else in Reno. The friendliest staff, nicest rooms and great choice of restaurants !! And the real plus is variety and pay-offs of slots !

Room Tip: Have stayed in both Towers -- both are excellent
Auburn, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I have been staying at the Peppermill for over a year when we need a quick get-away. My husband stays at the resort every year for Hot August Nights and he always has an excellent experience just as we did Biscott's is delicious!!

Room Tip: Always ask at check in for the room type you desire...they aim to please we stay in a tower suite...
Salinas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We allways stay at the Peppermill, We love it. Good resturants,Gambling,Great rooms,Covered parking.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have stayed at the Peppermill several times over the past few years. I just love the place. I get a tower suite each time that has to be the best hotel value around. They are always improving. The people are super friendly. The restaurants are outstanding. This is one of my most favorite hotels. The internet service tends to be a bit slow though.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of their tower suites.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

If you are a smoker you will appreciate the Peppermill Hotel Casino in Reno. You don't have to bring cigarettes. Just breathe the air, anywhere in the hotel, and you get a good nicotine fix. I am not exaggerating. The hotel is seriously accommodating for smokers.

My Southwest vacation package emphasized to request a room upgrade to a spa room at the time of check-in with the promise that if one was available I’d receive it at no additional charge. I asked and was informed the upgrade room was available but there was an additional $50 charge. When I mentioned that I was informed the upgrade was free with my package – if the room was available – I was informed the room had been reserved and was no longer available. Imagine that! Ok, so I knew it was a con from the beginning. I was told my room would be upgraded (at no charge) to the tower. (They later called to inform me I was being charged an additional $12/day for hotel fees, etc. After talking with a few other guests it became clear that the Peppermill advertises low rates then dings its customers by charging for every other service.

The room was older but nice enough. As an “upgrade” it caused to wonder what the other room would have been like? The room was comparable to the MGM Grande in Las Vegas. Not a five star. But it was quiet, and reasonably comfortable. I enjoyed my picturesque view of the parking lot below. The room had an excellent ventilation system. I could smell the smoke from the hotel casino filtering all the way up to the 12th floor! Smokers will appreciate it. As for me, I prefer clean air.

The Peppermill has a unique strategy to saving water. They installed water saving orifices in the shower to reduce the water spray. Under high pressure, the super tiny shower sprays amounts to a feeling like needles stabbing you all over. To compensate for the showerhead the water pressure blasts you like a fire hose with the result being a feeling like you have been accu-punctured all over your body. (For some reason the hot water goes cold midway through the shower) You should plan on feeling itchy and red after stepping out of the shower. (The shower is provided at no additional charge)

As hotels go, I think there is a lot of room for improvement at the Peppermill. After spending in excess of 4k at the casino, I can only say for me, it wasn’t worth it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Peppermill_Director, Guest Relations Manager at Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Thank you for writing a review for us on Trip Advisor. We’re sorry that the air quality was not to your liking. We have installed the most up to date technology in air purification equipment throughout our resort including the smoking and non-smoking areas of the casino. We receive compliments daily from our non-smoking and even our smoking guests about how effective our smoke abatement systems are. As a matter of fact, smoke is just one part of what our air purifiers eliminate. They also kill any bacteria or viruses that may be in the air along with removing other particulate matters that find their way into our environment. We are currently adding even more of these units to further improve our air quality.
The special package that you booked with your travel agent required that you book a deluxe room to be upgraded into a Spa Suite. Unfortunately you booked an economy room that was not eligible for this upgrade. Your travel agent did phone us (at your request) to see if we would waive the resort fees and also confirmed to us that both the resort fees and the upgrade room requirement were well displayed in the package that you booked.
We did try and help out by upgrading you into the deluxe Peppermill Tower room free of charge and by waiving the resort fee for your first night with us. We always try to do the best that we can to make our guests comfortable and their stay enjoyable……..this is why we are Four Diamond.
Thank you again. We do hope you come back and give us another try.

Been to Peppermill Resort Spa Casino? Share your experiences!