“ONce Excellent Hotel Now Bad IN AlMOST EVERY DEPARTMENT” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Reno
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Arvada, Colorado
“ONce Excellent Hotel Now Bad IN AlMOST EVERY DEPARTMENT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Let me start with the good things. The room was beautiful and very clean. The Outside Parking Valet service was excellent with every person we talked to friendly and very helpful.
Regarding the bad: It had been 15 years since I had stayed at the Peppermill Reno. They now announce themselves as a four Double Diamond Resort. I could see this for room quality only but not anything more. Here is a list of issues. We had breakfast at two different restaurants. Each one was extremely slow(even though the place was empty), had average to bad food, and very poor non attentive service. This included Bicotti's and the coffee shop. For dinner we tryed both Chi Asian and Romanza . Romanza had good food with bad service. Chi ASian had good service with average food. The Peking Duck was terrible.
As for the vast amount of bars and lounges we visited they all had the exact same issue. Horribly slow,disinterested, and just plain bad service. Getting a drink can take 25 minutes to be waited on and maybe 15 minutes to then get a drink.This even though you are sitting at the bar at a slot machine. The average bartender has zero interest in anything but talking to other employees. Drinks are also very expensive. Most hotels I stay at have automatic emailed copies of your bill. Not Peppermill. I had to email them twice to get it. When checking in we were told a firecode disallowed having more than two beds in a room. This is why they could not release the long promised roll awy bed that they had noted for us. No person mentioned this once during booking. All and all avoid the Peppermill. Twenty years ago it was a wonderful place. Now it is just bad!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Peppermill_Director, Guest Relations Manager at Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Thank you, Scott, for writing a review of us on Trip Advisor. Being accustomed to mostly 4 and 5 star reviews makes us pay very close attention to a 1 Star review. Your issues regarding our restaurants have been relayed to the appropriate managers. We will take immediate action to ensure we have attentive service as we require in all of our service outlets including our bars and lounges. We did not simply announce ourselves a “Four Diamond Resort” we earned it through countless inspections that require exceptional service and food quality that we are well known for.
We gladly email copies of guest folios upon request. This process happens very quickly if the request is made at check out. Certain room configurations will allow roll-away beds to be included in a room with two beds; however, we apologize that some rooms cannot include a roll-away bed.
It’s great that you enjoyed us twenty years ago and we are sorry that your experience was not as memorable this time. We have done countless improvements, additions, re-models, and modernizations over those years and hopefully we’ll see you again before another twenty years go by.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,506)
Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We stayed at the Peppermill Friday & Saturday in anticipation for a great weekend to celebrate Street Vibrations. Don't have much too offer for the event other than it pretty much sucked but the hotel was exceptional. Looking forward to staying there again soon. Food was absolutely delicious with great service from Michael at Biscotti's. The lemoncello was also fantastic and the Terrace Lounge was fantastic.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We have been spoiled! Our first visit to Reno overnight for fun was at this resort. The other casinos/hotels in the area do not match the oppulence of a regular first tier room. I thought we had inadverently been given a suite by mistake. We stayed during the week, so the room certainly outweighed the price!!!

I would try to describe the room, but it would come across tacky, so let me just state, I felt like a princess. Even hubby thought the room was great (and all he cares about is the bed and TV) The only complaint I have is that the mini bar is located in the most convenient spot for YOUR items. As soon as I placed my items down after entering the room, I immediatley knocked over a couple of items. This was taken care without issue at the front desk.
Plenty of mirrors and outlets.

The Casino workers are VERY helpful! I sat at a table for over 40 minutes while the dealer helped me learn the game. (I have actually been asked to quit watching a game at another area casino. Literally, standing behind the player and watching).

The restuarants were a bit pricey (and whose isn't), but well worth it! Every member of the staff went out of their way to be helpful. Just go hungry!

The pool area was great. We didn't spend much time there, but sat there in the evening. A waterfall from the 5th floor falls into a lap pool. Several hot tubs/spas, two pools, each on a different level. Had we brought our bathing suits.......

I spent one day in the spa. I treated myself to a pedicure, and with it came a 24 hour pass to the day spa. Everything was provided, robes, shoes, towels, snacks, toiletries. If they didn't have it, they got it for your. Room service is delievered.

The steam room was out of order when I was there.I really wanted to use it.

Supposedly, they come and find you for your appointment, so you can relax anywhere in the three floor area. My technician never came to get me, I had to go to her. (She seemed upset that I showed. She was young girl, so I'll attribute it to that). There is a $50 fee for no-shows or cancellations. And, I have had better pedis.

Overall, we will return to this hotel/resort!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed at the Peppermill on a Monday and Tuesday in mid-September. I should note that I was not in the Tuscany Tower, but the other rooms are also nice, if a bit out of the way. While I was in Reno, it was still warm enough to swim and sun oneself out by the pools, and I spent a relaxing day doing that. The pool area was uncrowded and relatively quiet without the loud music that has occasionally marred my experience at other casino hotels. The drink service was excellent.

If you like to gamble, the table minimums in the casino were a reasonable $5. The dealers were universally pleasant, and it's a relaxed atmosphere. The combination of low table minimums and and a fairly upscale crowd of fellow gamblers is hard to beat.

The entire stay was wonderful, especially for the price, and the next time I take a western gambling trip, I'll skip Las Vegas and stay in Reno at the Peppermill.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed several days in the Peppermill Resort in Reno, Nevada and were very impressed with the quality of the rooms and the service during our stay. The employees were very helpful and had a wonderful attitude.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I assume that the mixed reviews are because of the different choices of rooms. We had a room in the tuscany towner and loved it. The resort itself was great too, we spent a full day down at the pool area. They have two pools and hot tubs and everything was heated (very nice, since the weather wasn't quite as hot).

Our room was super spacious with two king beds and a huge bathroom. The bathroom had two sinks, a glass shower, a separate toilet, a TV and a huge whirpool tub. Everything was very boldly decorated and they even had lights that could be dimed. Very nice thouch when you want to relax in the tub with a good book.

The service was also outstanding, check-in went smooth and service in the bar area and restaurant was also good and efficent. We are already thinking of going back for just a couple of days relaxing and playing, we can recommned the tuscany tower rooms.

Room Tip: tuscany tower rooms are awesome, we had a room on the 16th floor overlooking the pool
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I have to admit I was a little skeptical of Reno, but we found a good deal with airline/hotel for our anniversary trip. My parents had visited the spa once and recommended we go for a 4 day trip. The Peppermill is a jewel in this town! It was a spectacular hotel, outside and in. Tuscan themed throughout, with large flat screen TVs at every turn showing live pictures of beautiful landmarks and cities. Check in was a breeze, they had a room ready before check in time. We booked a 'spa suite,' which showed a jacuzzi in the picture on the website, but you never know if it will really look like the picture...well it absolutely does! We had a corner room with windows looking out to the pool area and over Reno with a HUGE jacuzzi tub in the room with a heavenly 4-poster bed with plush linens. The room was impeccably clean and furnished. Room service was quick and fantastic. The restaurants (there are many to choose from) were divine; Bimini's and Eleganza were our favorite. I've saved the best for last....THE SPA TOSCANA!! Hands down the best spa (35,000 sq ft, 3 stories) I've ever been to (and I am a spa fanatic) as well as the best massage I've ever had by Vanessa. My husband wasn't a big fan of massages...until now! The amenities and extras were mind blowing! You have full access all day to the spa/spa pool and terrace. We spent the entire day here, ordered lunch on the terrace and snoozed away in their divine massage chairs with Ipods/headphones on every one (the chairs vibrate to the beat!). I could go on and on but you just have to see for yourself! Great couple's trip if you have a few days, and Lake Tahoe is a quick trip to see for the day (definitely do the hot air balloon over Lake Tahoe...AHHHMAZING). Only 5 minutes from the airport, shuttles from Peppermill every 15 min, and a rental car on site for day trips if needed. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a spa suite! Stayed on the 9th floor; quiet and peaceful. Corner room had best views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Peppermill Resort Spa Casino? Share your experiences!