“Favorite downtown casino” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 65 hotels in Reno
Washington
“Favorite downtown casino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We haven't been to Reno in years but were passing through en route to Tahoe. I've stayed at a few different downtown locations, but this was my first time staying at the ElDorado. We loved this hotele & it exceeded my expectations! The rooms were clean & updated, the casino was good to gamble & they did a good job controlling the cig smoke, which is often an issue for me. We even won some $$! They do charge a "resort fee", but it is modest compared to other places I've stayed, & they offer free valet parking, which makes up for it in my book.
The only small negatives I noticed were 1) the carpet in the room tower hallway was nasty & really needs replaced. 2) the ceilings in the bathroom are low as are the shower heads, so if you are tall, beware. Unless you are 5'5" or under, you will be ducking to take a shower. As a previous reviewer wrote, they did a great job with a 30+ year old facility!
We hope to get back to Reno this year and plan to stay at the ElDorado again.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool, which was great. Nice & quiet with a decent view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

980 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
trevor-wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I've been going to Reno for 30 years and these days the Eldorado seems to be trying harder than any other casino/hotel to get your business. The rooms have been nicely updated as best they can with 30 year old rooms (ie the bathrooms still have low counters and a basic shower tub with curtain)

The staff is all very nice .

If you join their slot club and gamble a bit and are over 55 the buffet (which is very good) is $5 sunday-thursday for lunch or dinner. And if you gamble a bit more they send you decent offers (I went to see Dolly Parton on a free ticket and a free room)

The El Dorado is connected with a sky walk to the Silver Legacy and the Circus Circus so you don't have go outside in the winter to go to all 3 properties.

When you look at the room rates remember there is the now common rip off $12 "resort fee", that includes internet

Room Tip: I alwaystay in the tower above reception, this time in room 1907
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Every time my husband and I head to Reno, we check the ElDorado first, and 99% of the time that is where we stay, and we go to Reno 3 or 4 times a year.
We always valet park and those guys and girls are great at check in and on check out Sundays those folks are busting their humps to get everyone out in a timely manner.
The front desk staff are always pleasant and helpful.
The rooms are always clean and the beds and linens are comfortable and nice quality. The bell hops are extremely helpful offering to get ice for the room, or checking to see if we need anything else before they leave.
We usually sit at The Ringside Bar in the casino downstairs and our favorite bartender is Chaw (spelling ?). He always remembers us and our drinks and treats us like regulars.
We are smokers so a smoke filled casino doesn't bother me like it might others, but I think there are other casinos close by that have worse air quality.
We haven't won much in the casino lately so we do walk around to different casinos to try our luck. But the nice thing is, it is centrally located to most of the Reno casinos so it's easy to wander.
Love Tivoli Gardens Cafe, the buffet is very, very good.
The comps with a club card are good too. Stay in the Skyline Tower it's the best!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have stayed at the Eldorado several times over the years. Frankly, I was never too impressed in the past. It seemed like they didn't really want you to spend any time in your room. It has been awhile since I stayed there, so was pleasantly surprised this week when I stayed there on business. First, the rooms have been updated and are very nice! Felt like a new hotel. Bed was very comfortable and I did not hear noise from surrounding rooms. The wifi worked well (free) and the room was set up for doing some work. Also, the old tvs have been replaced with large flat screen sets with Hi Def programming. Nice work Eldorado!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

It's so foul, there's actually a haze in the air. I tried to determine the nuances of the odor in the casino- I guess aside from the smoke, it reeks of Lysol, some other sickening cleaners, and unwashed bodies (locker room, and 'not' in a good way). I had to leave. Yes- all casinos here are smoking, but this is hellish. I did not have a room here, and the ratings for the hotel are above average- but the casino is another story.

If you want clean air in downtown Reno, gamble at Circus Circus. For some reason the there air is clean and odorless, no doubt in deference to the gigantic children's area on the second floor- otherwise all the smoke would go up there. If CC can keep their air breathable, even though its hotel rooms are total dives, than what's the excuse at Eldorado?

Another is Diamond's casino at Ramada- the air is routinely replaced with outside, clean, cool, mountain air from outside- but the casino is a dive, full of homeless folks (for the penny machines and restroom access), and the staff within 'will' ignore you (as in you won't be offered free drinks, etc.) you if you are not a local, even though the hotel guests are the ones spending money and keeping that place alive.

-Two cent's worth from a former smoker that now values his lungs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
MeganFinn, Manager at Eldorado Resort Casino, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
On behalf of the Eldorado Hotel Casino, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your constructive comments. We appreciate your candid concerns.
We realize that all of our guests deserve nothing less than to receive superior service and the ultimate in dining entertainment and gaming needs. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to accommodate those needs.
We have forwarded your comments on to Housekeeping and Management; constructive comments from our guests give us the opportunity to improve!
Again, we apologize and hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you better in the near future.
Eldorado Hotel Casino
Reno, Nevada
Newburgh, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have stayed here several times and each time had an excellent experience. The rooms are updated and comfortable and the casino area is clean and bright. We especially like the dining offerings and that you can easily walk between adjacent hotels. Along the connection walkway there are many dining and entertainment options. We will certainly stay here on future visits to Reno,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vallejo, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

It was my first time to be invited to ring in the New Year at Eldorado Hotel Casino in Reno, NV. The free offer included 2-nights hotel accommodation, dinner on New Year's Eve at the Convention Center with a 30-minute Cirque preview show. The dinner started with free wine served at the table and cocktails served by a waitress and followed by a very delicious filet mignon, lobster tail, and prawns with rice pilaf and asparagus dinner, complete with vegetable salad and dessert. A band played 1980-1990-era music before, during, and after dinner. A lot of couples danced to the music. It was a very sumptuous New Year's Eve dinner.

After dinner and while waiting for midnight, my husband and I joined the others to the Casino where we played Fortune Paigow until midnight. We then joined the multitude of guests outside the casino to watch the firework display that lasted 15 minutes. It was a fabulous trip; thanks to Eldorado for the invitation. I hope I get invited again next year.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room close to the elevators because I suffer from osteo-arthritis, which makes it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eldorado Resort Casino? Share your experiences!