“Mid-week get-away” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2275 Kyle Canyon Rd, Mount Charleston, NV 89124   |
Crestview, Florida
“Mid-week get-away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Resort on Mt Charleston is not at or near the top of the mountain, so if you are looking for mountaintop views, you will not get them here. You will need to continue up Kyle Canyon Road to the Lodge for upper level views. Even then, you are about 3,000 ft below the summit.
The staff at the resort was cordial and our room, on the first floor, was comfortable. Be aware there are no elevators, so if you are on the third floor (top floor) you will carry luggage up stairs. The only working ice machine was on the third floor, and there was no refrigerator in our room. The bed was comfortable, but the bathroom has not been updated. We had eaten at the Lodge, so did not have dinner there, for which reservations were recommended at check-in. We will return for snow views later in the winter, knowing how to plan for our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamara W, Manager at The Resort on Mount Charleston, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Tarheelnative2,

Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay! We are glad that you where able to stay with us and enjoy the wonderful scenery while you where here. we look forward to seeing you when the snow arrives.

Our apologies to you for the non working ice machine on the second floor. This has been addressed. Please let us know when you are planning to stay with us again as we look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Well, we went here today for an Octoberfest. $20.00 person for food and one beer. Music/food was to be 12-4pm.

Going up to the hotel there is a small pond with some white ducks. The water was so disguisting the bill on was duck was green from algae/mold. Here's a clue "resort"...clean up your duck pond or move your innocent ducks elseware. The inside of the place was kinda creepy. The windows were FILTHY. We could never eat there. I can only imagine what the rooms look like.

Octoberfest was outside. Lovely view, beautiful blue sky, etc.

ALL the food was really bad and cold. I heard one comment on how it was food like mother used to make. May I ask...where was your mother from? Certainly, not Germany. This food was all pre-made and then just "warmed" up. But, not even warmed up...sausages, sauerkraut, pork, red cabbage, pretzels, spatzle was all gross and cold. Then, there was the german potato salad. It looked like a piece of lard with a few potatoes stuck in. German potato salad is with liquid and a smell of vinegar...not one big lard mass. Desserts(2) had flies buzzing around them. Yeah, it was delicious.

You got one beer included in the price. Well, either these folks had never poured a beer from a tap or they were just idiots. Half of the plastic glass was foam. $5.00 for each extra beer.

Then, there was the "Oompah Band". Some lady had horns on...as in Norway(?). They took a few long breaks and QUIT at 3:15pm. Only played about 5 German songs. The rest was Dixieland Jazz, Country, Pop, etc. Not even a freakin tuba player. Yeah, they were good.

It was a delightful, sunny day in Las Vegas and that was nothing the "resort" could accept gratitude for.
We will never dine, drink or go back to an "Octoberfest" here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcNelson, General Manager at The Resort on Mount Charleston, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
OahuHawaii,

Thank you for stopping by The Resort on Mount Charleston for our Oktoberfest celebration.

I am so very sorry that there was nothing here to your satisfaction.

1) Our pond and ducks. The natural color of the bottom of our pond itself is brown, thus it reflects that color throughout. The algae you refer to on our female ducks bill "Michele" is the natural pigment she was born with. This was not caused by anything in our pond. Our ducks have been with us for over two years now and quite enjoy themselves as do our guests who stay with us. 2) You found our windows to be filthy. Our windows are cleaned weekly, (inside and out) however, there is moisture that has made its way between the panes of glass, making them appear dirty. I assure you that our windows are not dirty. Ownership is currently looking into replacing the windows. 3) You were not happy with the quality of the food made by hand in our kitchen for Oktoberfest. Our staff worked very hard to come up with and serve an incredible menu for this celebration. We have been receiving rave reviews on the entire day, especially our food. I am sorry you did not find it to your liking. 4) Our musical entertainment was the world famous "Dummkopfs" They have been performing here in Las Vegas, for well over 40 years and continue to entertain with rave reviews. They have been the house band for Hofbräuhaus, here in Las Vegas, providing German and Bavarian musical entertainment. They may have taken some musical liberties; the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy our Oktoberfest celebration as much as everyone else who was here. I have been to several Oktoberfests around the United States, and have found ours to be fun, full of great food and drinks, in a great location, with exceptional service. You did not. I apologize.

Marc Nelson

Travelers are raving about these Mount Charleston hotels

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I traveled here on 9/22/12 for a one night stay to get some peace and quiet. Work has been crazy stressful for him and we don't have a big budget. We booked the room online directly through the website utilizing their 30% off promo. Under room description for a King with Balcony a fireplace was noted. Upon checking in and arriving at our room there was no fireplace to be seen. When we called down to the front desk we were told that only one room on property has a fireplace and it was booked. I contacted the manager on Monday via email about the misrepresentation and apparently their webmaster had made an error in the room description. We were told we will get credited back the difference in room price (still waiting on it) and that the website has been changed. Quick manager response.

Overall the room was fine. It was clean and the bedding is super comfy! Also there is a sink and mirror outside the bathroom in addition to the ones inside the bathroom. Handy so two people can get ready at the same time. We had a room facing the parking lot with a somewhat mountain view. Not a huge deal but be aware that mountain view has many meanings. Also there was a group of loud and drunk people on the patio until around 9:30 p.m. Luckily our room was almost directly above the fountain so that helped drown out the cackling. The balcony does have wood slats, but never once did I feel unsafe up there. Plenty of room for two people to sit. It is close though to your neighbors but luckily the room to our right was empty. The room has a separate a/c and heater and also a fan mode. It helps with a little "white noise" at night upon falling asleep.

Our food at the on location restaurant was good and our Sunday breakfast server Jesse was wonderful!! One note, when ordering eggs ask for well done. They are a bit runny but edible.

Be aware there is an immediate charge on your cc when booking the room and a $75 hold is also placed on your cc upon checking in. We are three days out from check out and we still have this amount being held on the card. We were told it is up to each individual bank on when this gets put back onto the card.

If you are looking for a high end hotel, this is not the place for you. If you are looking to get away for a night or two with your honey and do some hiking or reading or just hanging out, this will be perfect.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms on third floor do not face the parking lot. Odd numbered rooms on third floor f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melissa G,

I hope that everything has been resolved by now. We thank you for staying with us and again apologize for the miscommunication. The website has been updated and we thank you for your feedback on the hotel.

We hope to see you again in the future!
Hampshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had lunch here as a day trip out of Las Vegas. Lovely setting and a cool welcome from the heat of the City. Great service, tall ceilings, super food.Outside ground had pools with running water and there were sparrows bathing when we arrived. Large car park and sited off the road. No road noise from inside the lodge.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamara W, Manager at The Resort on Mount Charleston, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
ConcordeSST,

We are very glad you enjoyed your lunch here at the Resort and that you appreciated the enviornment here on the Mountain! Hopefully we will be able to have you as our guest in the hotel in the future.

Thank you for your comments!
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a couple of days here prior to a convention we had in Las Vegas. Our plan was to work for about an hour each morning, then hike and relax for the remainder of the day.

Our biggest problem with this hotel was the lack of reliable Internet service. When a hotel says they have wi-fi, they should have it. Consistently. During our 3 days of experience it was nothing but trouble, and others were having the same problem. They were continually "re-starting the router" but nothing would provide an adequate fix. Sometimes the network wasn't available at all. Sometimes you could connect to the network, but it wasn't getting Internet. And unfortunately, the hotel is in a location with poor-to-no cell service. One day we had to drive back into Las Vegas for Internet service at the nearest Starbucks.

The rest of our experience was adequate. A lot of reviews seem to complain about the food, but we thought the food was fine. It was well-prepared and tasty. Considering that this place is out in the boonies, the food exceeded my expectations.

We also found the waitstaff, bartenders and front desk staff to be friendly and helpful.

The hotel does look a bit worn. One gets the impression that the ownership is not investing in their future.

If we go back to Mt. Charleston, we'll probably try the cabins up the road. At least they have a great cell signal, so we can get Internet from our cell phones.

Room Tip: Some rooms have fireplaces or refrigerators, so ask for a room that has what's important to you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I would write a review, but what's the point? My fiancé wrote a review to address inferior food quality, and service. The manager's response was a form letter, and one that is the stock answer given to address any complaint from no crib in a room to poor service.
If you simply look through the reviews you will clearly see what I am talking about.. I would rather not hear from the management, than have them think that I am an idiot and actually believe this insincere, and waste of time fluff.
If the management was trying to correct as they put it, issues that have guest's upset, then I wouldn't be writing, as our complaint's have been sent in by multiple's of other guests.
It's just so sad to see the place run into the ground.

• Stayed September 2012
MarcNelson, General Manager at The Resort on Mount Charleston, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear LindaLou9650,

I have read your comments regarding your fiancé’s stay and your remarks regarding others. I am sorry that you think I am giving stock or form answers to guest’s complaints. This is not the case. I take very seriously all of the comments, both bad and good. If given the chance for any guest’s stay, once they report a problem, we address it immediately. There are many times however, that a guest will not tell us of their experiences and this does not give us the opportunity to correct them.

There are instances in the reviews that you have read where this is the case. Our goal is for customer satisfaction, but if an issue arises and we are not aware, it makes it very difficult to correct.

I am not aware of the issues that you had with your stay here, but if you would like to speak to me about them, please call me at 702-872-5500. I would like the opportunity to listen to your concerns.

Marc Nelson
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My Fiancée and I took them up on their overnight special - Room and BBQ Buffet Lunch for 2 - for $90 on Labor Day Weekend 09/02/12. We went with a group of friends.

The room was charged to my VISA when I made the reservation, a month prior. I was told this was their policy, to charge your card when the reservation is made. There was also a $75 hold on my VISA when we arrived, for incidentals.

Check-in was at 3:00 pm but, some rooms were not available until after 4:00 pm. Check out is 12 Noon. The trash dumpster is picked up in the rear at 8 am, VERY LOUD!

The outdoor BBQ Lunch ($15 each - included) was OK but nothing to write home about. Typical Hamburgers, Hotdogs, BBQ Chicken breasts, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, small Brownies and frosted cake pieces for desert. They had a Live Band - "True Blue" - playing on the outdoor deck.

Our room faced the mountain in the rear of the hotel. The room had 2 Queen beds, Clock/Radio, Ironing Board & Iron, Safe, 32" LCD TV with a built-in DVD player, HDMI and Composite video inputs available. We had one chair but, no table in the room. No refrig or microwave and no coffee in the room.

We did have a problem getting the room cooler than 74 degrees. We slept with the window open all night.

A small coffee in the lobby will run you $3.24 and a 16 oz bottle of water is $2. They did not have any Diet Coke and their soda machine was still out of order, from our visit two months prior.

Dinner in the hotel restraunt was not what we expected - VERY BAD!

They had run out of chicken at 6 pm. I ordered the Atlantic Salmon, which was served luke warm along with luke warm mixed fresh vegtables and white rice ($19.95). My Fiancée had the 12 oz Rib Eye Steak with a slightly warm baked potato and the same luke warm vegtables ($24.99). We had to ask for dinner rolls for our table of 6, they served 4 Hawaiian dinner rolls arrived after my last bite of Salmon. The server never delivered the side salid we ordered.

We both felt that it was not worth the money we spent on the dinner.

Checkout Invoice:
Deposit Transfer CheckIn: 90.00 (Credit)
Room: 30
Occupancy Tax: 4
Labor Day BBQ: 31.90
Pest Tax: 2.58
Resort Fee: 9.95
Occupancy Tax: 1.00
Visa: -0.62 (Credit)
Balance: 0

Enjoy your trip to Mt. Charleston, just return to Las Vegas at the end of the day. We suggest you eat at the resaurant on the top of the mountain and pass up this place for any food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MarcNelson, General Manager at The Resort on Mount Charleston, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Engineer_Lou,

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your stay here with us at The Resort on Mount Charleston.

We are glad you joined us for our Labor Day BBQ.

We are very sorry that your experience in our restaurant was less than perfect. Please know that we will be sharing your comments with our entire Food & Beverage staff in an effort to improve our food quality and service.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to The Resort on Mount Charleston? Share your experiences!