“Don't All It's Cracked Up to Be!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Charleston Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Charleston
Mt. Charleston Lodge
5375 Kyle Canyon Rd, Mount Charleston, NV 89124   |
Las Vegas
“Don't All It's Cracked Up to Be!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

My husband, two children and I stayed Saturday night over the long Fourth of July weekend in the "honeymoon" cabin at the Lodge. We went with another couple and at the time of making the reservation, were told we would be able to have cabins next to each other. We checked in around 3:30pm (check in begins at 3:00) and were told we could not have cabins together, but they would still be close. NO! We had cabin 23 and they had cabin 14. Not close at all!! This really was a downer since we had planned our trip based on being able to stay near each other. This was just the begining. The cabin we stayed in was clean, however in need of a total facelift. The cabin had several issues including lights that would not turn on or that had to be rigged to work, a portable air conditioning unit that did not work, a remote control that didn't work, and blinds that would not open on three off the four windows (the 4th window's blinds were gone). We asked for a pull out couch so our daughter could stay there, but it was like sleeping on rocks. Also there were no extra pillows for the hide-a-bed. She ended up in bed with us. Also, they do not provide a pack and play or rollaway crib, so make sure you bring your own. The real treat of the trip was when we went to dinner next door at the Lodge. I have to say it was one of the WORST dinners my family and friends have ever had. As we walked in and were seated, the three servers who were working bascially started arguing over who would take the table. After being ignored for about ten minutes, Bob came and took our drink order. At that time, we were hungry (as were the kids) and wanted to also order the food. My husband told him that we needed separate checks. Well, Bob went crazy and told us that there was no way our food would come out together if we did that. We said, we want separate checks, he then raised his voice and said, "I guarantee you, that you're food will not come out at the same time." We said, we'd take the chance. So, after waiting 40 minutes for our food (with crying children now) and not once a drink refill, I went looking for the manager. Apparently the bartender is the manager of the place and he was as defensive as Bob was when I complained about the service. Since we were ignored more than waited on. Finally, he went over and spoke with Bob. So, we ended up with another waiter. Who FINALLY brought out our food. OH and by the way forgot my husband's nachos. The waiter says he'll go and get them...another 10 minutes goes by, and out come the nachos. My husband told him not to bother. He ate my pizza (which by the way was very good). Then the bill comes...on the same check. So, we asked it to be separated. This took another ten minutes. Then paid by cash and waited another ten minutes for change. After this experience we were all so exhausted all we wanted to do was go to bed. Well around 6:00am the bikers started to roll in. Since our cabin was right near the Lodge parking place we heard every rambling muffler. All we wanted to do was get out of town and enjoy some time in the mountains. What a horrible waste. For $250 a night, I expect something much better than what we received. This was a HUGE disappointment. Mt. Charleston is very beautiful, but I would suggest using the money to get a room at the Bellagio. For $269 we could have stayed in a 626 sq ft room Tower Deluxe King Room in real luxury!

• Liked — The view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The eating at the Lodge Restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wellington, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2008

The Cabins are very nice with Jacuzzi, Fire place, king size bed and patio. Our stay was overall good. We had only one inconvenient: After we filled-up the Jacuzzi, we did not have any hot water for about 1h.
The Restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food for lunch and dinner is good, try the pizza. For breakfast we had poor service and the food was not good.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Jacuzi in the room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mount Charleston hotels

new braunfels texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

Cabins are very nice. Staff at restaurant and loung are very friendly. We ( 1 brother, 5 sister, 1 daughter and 2 friends)stayed 2 nights Family Cabin we roomy for 5 we also had 3 honeymoon cabins. cabin 24 (family cabin) and cabin 25 have the best view. cabin 20 is a handicap cabin. cabin 20 and 23 are nice but do not have view like 24 &25. It was nice to be away from the hussel and busel of the strip but only 30 min away. loung does have a few video games at bar area. there are only 2 things that could have made stay better. A store to buy snaks and mountain souviners and trash picked up on mountain side below cabins. The little store there only sells xmas stuff. We plan on staying there a again.

• Liked — cabins
  • Disliked — trash on mountain side below deck
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

Fresh cool air only 40 miles from Las Vegas
That is so hard to believe but it’s true. I have an outside temperature gauge in my car dashboard. We left Las Vegas at 105 degrees as we turned on to Nevada road 157 off of the northbound US 95. The temperature kept dropping on the 19 mile trip to Mt. Charleston lodge ([--]) ending with a cool 67 degrees at the lodge. Leaving the desert for bristle cone pines and lots of green; breathtaking (and nose bleeding at nearly 8000 ft elevation…)
The Cabin is very large and spacious, king size bed that was on the hard side but we got used to it by the last night…
Very large Jacuzzi tub for two (plenty room to play around in the tub…) beautiful views from the porch. There is not a lot to do but kick back and relax (what a change from busy Las Vegas) the staff has a selection of DVD and VCR for you to view free (there is no TV service in the cabins). If you spend several days you can go to old town Mt. Charleston library and get a temporary membership and get some books or movies for you stay. (The librarian may not like me for that last tip…)
I think it is over priced but not enough to prevent me from returning.
The Mt. Charleston Lodge restaurant is a different story… it serves average to below average food at a high price. You get the feeling that the attitude is “there is nothing else in miles so shut up and eat”. “the wild game sampler platter (Elk chop, pheasant breast and microscopic serving of Ostrich fillet) for $49 served to you on cheap plates and garnishment you can expect at a local greasy spoon…) the cheap silverware bend with the lightest of pressure (mashing a baked potato)
The restaurant is somewhat run down and the furniture is cheap and not comfortable. My suggestion to the owner of the restaurant is to drop and match the price of the food for what is served or renovate the establishment and make it a fine dining establishment that makes use of the beautiful scenery available from the all around the restaurant.
I can totally visualize a romantic getaway starting with a drive just before sunset to the lodge, having a beautifully served romantic dinner next to the big fire place and then retiring to one of the cabins with a bottle of Champagne and strawberries to enjoy a lovely Jacuzzi; finish this with a cuddle in front of the fire place or enjoy the cool air out on the balcony
If you want more privacy ask for a cabin that is further down the slope.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — hard bed
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Henderson NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

My fiance and I stayed 2 nights in the cabins at the Lodge. The cabin we stayed in was not very clean. The cabin has tile flooring so I could feel the filth under my feet when I was bare foot because the floor had not been swept. Also there was something very nasty on the wall in the bathroom. I will not say what, I will just let you imagine. The blinds were broken so we could not take in the view from inside. The couch was stained so bad I didn't even want to sit on it. But the real treat was when we went to dinner next door at the Lodge. I have to say it was the worst dinner I have ever had in my life. I asked for my stake well done, and then after waiting an hour for our food my stake was bleeding. Since blood makes me sick I asked if they could cook it some more. Big mistake!!! It was another 25 minutes before I recived my food. By this time my fiance was done eating. The service was horrible. The 2 hours we were there we were ignored more than waited on. Oh, and the best part is the meal came to 76.00 for two people. Thats alot of money to pay for bad service and horrible food. You will be waisting your money if you stay at the Lodge. Mt. Charleston is very beautiful but I would suggest staying at the Mt. Charleston Hotel instead.

• Liked — The View
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2006

My husband and I stayed in a cabin recently and found the experience relaxing, romantic and totally needed! The staff was great - very accomodating and courteous. We had dinner when we arrived ( server was Debra!!) and enjoyed the Elk Chops and Shrimp Scampi. Breakfast the next morning was equally delicious (server was Carol!!). We could not have asked for better service or a more tranquil setting. I am sorry that others found their stay lacking, but we received exactly what we paid for - a cozy, rustic cabin without phones and distractions - and ambience not found in Vegas!

• Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

I was to be married at the Lodge on April 26, 2006. The coordinator started out with a very unprofessional hand written budget that she insisted on sending via fax machine, as they don’t use email. The budget included pricing for the facility, price per bottle of bubbly, price for cake, and the request for a deposit. Although unprofessional & non-contractual, I called her to confirm receipt of the fax & let her know I was in agreement. This took 3 days due to the fact that she was so difficult to reach via telephone…again, no email. 10 days before the wedding, while we were working on deposits & final preparations, they ran my debit card for more than the quoted deposit amount, when it didn't go through (wedding account & we'd only put enough funds in to cover what they said the cost would be) they called to inform us that due to debit card issue, we would have to pay the full amount up front. Although I was not thrilled to pay the full amount for services rendered prior to the wedding, I agreed. After they’d run our card & the amount had been paid, Linda called to inform us that the card was decline (it wasn’t…amazing about on-line banking), that we could not have the wedding at the facility & SHE DIDN'T WANT THE BUSINESS FROM "PEOPLE LIKE US". Wonder what that means. Apparently she had another event she wanted to do or who knows what. As of today, we still have not be credited the full amount we paid to have our wedding at their facility. Not only am I scurrying around trying to find another wedding venue, a place that can accommodate the 20 people that have already made hotel/flight reservations to attend our wedding, I’m working with our Bank to get our money back. Just what every Bride needs, 10 days prior to her wedding!

The entire staff is disorganized, unprofessional & rude. When calling to contact the staff the norm was to be put on long-term hold or told to wait while the person was located, never to have anyone return to the phone. The Las Vegas Better Business Bureau will be notified as well as anyone else I can think of to get the word out that is not the place one would want to do business with. I don’t know about Nevada, but this is not how we do business in Houston, Texas.

Although the scenery is stunning, this place is not where you want to be. I’d advise anyone interested in Mount Charleston to stay at the Mount Charleston Hotel & Conference center, Not the Mt. Charleston Lodge.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Mt. Charleston Lodge? Share your experiences!