“Friendly place with a local feel and a great value” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 38 Restaurants in Minden
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Palm Springs, California
“Friendly place with a local feel and a great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stopped in after a very long road trip from palm springs. The owner welcome me at the front desk and gave me a comfortable seat at the sushi bar. Turns out that she had just taken over the bistro from the former owners and communicated that she had originally sold the business to them, and so thrilled to have it back. The employees seemed happy and were pumped to have her back in charge. The place was full of local and there was a friendly atmosphere. I ordered a cucumber salad, the sashimi dinner and a large saki. Although I have tasted better sashimi, it was beautifully presented and was a really great value because of the size of the fish and the nice placement of a tempora cooked shrimp. The salad was fine although I would have shaved the vegetable instead of the large chunks that was presented. It would have made the dish much more elegant. The sake was to sweet for my taste, but, again, great value ! The miso soup was just right...with a nice touch of salt and mushrooms float. All in all, I really enjoyed a nice meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Roseville, CA
“A pleasant surprise in Minden.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

I ate there on a Sunday sort of mid-afternoon (later than lunch, earlier than supper). It wasn't very crowded so I received extra attention. The roll was delicious. The sashimi was fresh. The price was amazing. I plan on returning there every time I'm in Minden. I didn't expect to find an excellent sushi bar in the Carson Valley. If you save room for dessert you absolutely must try their green tea ice cream with tempura bananas on the side. To die for!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oregon
“Great sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

I can't speak to the rest of the menu, but I can tell you that the sushi here is surprisingly good. I've had sushi everywhere from Vancouver, BC, to Seattle and LA - this is right there with any restaurant I've been to. If you're a sushi fan and find yourself in the Carson Valley, check it out.