“Very clean and modern with some poor design features” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Minden
London
“Very clean and modern with some poor design features”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I haved travelled to the beautiful area of the States for business on numerous occasions and it was crying out for a reasonable priced and modern hotel so i was very happy when I saw HIE had arrived. Frist impressions were great, very clean, great rooms a beds, good facilties....Fantastic. Until I had to try and get sleep, the air conditioning /heating fan was so loud I thought a plane was landing in the room, I turned it off preferring to suffer the cold (well below freezing outside) but it still came on every hour and woke me with a start. As lay wide awake the toilet next door flushed and I could hear conversations and showers running in the rooms next door on both sides. I stayed for a week and had the worst sleep I have ever had on a business trip. Coming from the UK I am not used to having air condition fans running all night but this was so noisy and couldn't be turned off. Our company had some other overseas visitors stay and they checked out early and moved rather than suffer the noise. A real shame.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

I recently stayed at this Holiday Inn Express and found it to be very nice. The hotel is only 7 months old and it shows. Everywhere in the building was very nice and clean. I thought the location was good (right where Hwy 88 and 395 meet and only 20 minutes from Tahoe via Kingsbury Grade). I could hear some road noise, but it was not distracting. I also did not notice any conversations coming from the rooms next to me. The breakfast was the usual HIExpress fare. The front desk folks were friendly and helpful. I had to stay an extra day and it only took a couple of minutes to change my reservation. The exercise room was somewhat small, but adequate. Not sure about the wireless, but the wired Internet connection worked just fine.

If I have business in this area again I will most likely stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Modesto CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

We loved the new beds. The hotel is new, and that really helps. However, the walls are thin. You can't quite hear conversations coming from the other rooms, but you can hear voices. You can also hear the showers running and the toliets flushing in rooms other than yours.

We asked for a suite, and while the room was large, I wouldn't call it a suite. It had a sitting area, with a love seat, coffee table, two chairs and a end table. The room was also supposed to be handicapped accessible, but if someone had been in a wheelchair they wouldn't have made it past the small fridge that sticks out into the hallway from the door to the bed area. The air conditioner was a little hard to figure out.

There is no wi-fi here. If there is wi-fi then accessing it is going to be a miracle. I tried, and was told to bring my laptop down to the front desk so they could help. They gave us a eithernet cable and that didn't work either. So if you need to get online make sure that you do it before you leave home. Charter Communicatioins is their internet carrier. When I found that out it didn't suprise me that I couldn't get online.

We were to stay two days. We went down for the continental breakfast and when we got back to our room the card key didn't work. Also, the housekeeping staff is great, but a little too eager. They were letting themselves in even when we told them that we didn't need service.

The hotel sits off highway 395, so you don't hear traffic noise. The closest places to eat for fast food are Arby's and McDonalds.

Even though this hotel has some problems I still liked it. As I said, the beds are new, as is the hotel, so that makes it worth another stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Minden for 6 nights in August on business travel. This hotel is brand new, and looks it…construction remnants still around it, but I am sure they are in the plans to be finished off. My check in was very efficient, and managed by a friendly gentleman. Rooms are large, with all new furnishings—despite this, I had trouble with my dresser drawers, they did not seem to be aligned properly to open easily.
Amenities abound here, some of the nicest I have seen, and generous as well. Every day my supply of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and make up remover packets was replenished. I am sure if I used 3 shower caps in a day, these would have been replaced as well. It was a nice touch, and I felt well taken care of. The only bad thing about it is they are those standard issue Holiday Inn Express tubes that are so difficult to deal with. The showerhead is tall enough to stand up straight under.
Breakfast was great, eggs with meat, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurts, some mornings we had those pre-fab omelets. My favorite part…every night when I came home from work, freshly baked cookies were waiting!
There is a lovely pool and spa, windows looking out on the gorgeous mountain views. It will look even nicer when the construction debris is gone. I used the washer/dryer, it’s a buck for everything you do…wash, dry, buy detergent, buy fabric softener. The machines worked well, and it was a clean area.
The free wireless internet could be a weak signal at times--but it did always work. The business center features a desktop computer and a printer.
My rate was not bad…you can get cheaper rates for some of the local no-tell motel/casinos, but this was a clean, new facility with a generous free breakfast included—an amazing value in itself!
I would return without a second thought.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
CA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

The hotel was spotless. It opened in June of 2009 so things were new. Sheets were crisp. Each bed had 4 pillows on it. Two were firm, two were soft. The breakfast was continental plus microwave omelette's and sausage. The pool, spa, and fitness center were clean and well stocked with water and towels.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
WorldWide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

Travelling with a large dog can be difficult. After a very long, hot ride I found a Holiday Inn Express in Minden, NV---as a gateway to Lake Tahoe. The place is almost brand new, but they take dogs, soooooooo we checked in. HIE charges a premium rate for the area.

I thought the service (front desk, housekeeping, breakfast) was weak throughout. It was like the STEPFORD WIVES of motels---u ask a question ---and u get a glassy eyed stare as an answer. It was the little things that ticked me off--i could go on ad nauseum.

The brand new hotel has some of the crappiest wireless i've ever encountered in the 100 nights a year that i travel. Even the ethernet connection was bad.

It looks shiny and new, but inside its rotten.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Paradise, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

We visited the Lake Tahoe area each day, but were so glad we stayed at this hotel. Service was good, the beds are very comfortable and because the hotel just opened this summer, everything was wonderfully new! The 20 minute trip from Stateline into the Carson Valley (Minden) was beautiful and well worth the drive to stay at this Holiday Inn. A very good value.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Minden? Share your experiences!