“You get what you pay for.” 1 of 5 stars

Virgin River Hotel & Casino
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Pioneer Blvd., Mesquite, NV 89027   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mesquite
South Jersey
“You get what you pay for.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

After seeing about 100 billboards for this place, decided to keep driving and stay for the night in a 24.99 advertised room. When I got there, the only rooms available were pet friendly or smoking rooms, and they would be 29.99. I got one anyway, smoking room no pets thank you, and the blankets had holes in them, the carpets were vaccumed but dirty, I didn't want to walk around with no shoes on. I ended up getting anther room, and this one's shower did not drain in the bathtub, so gross as I was looking forward to a nice shower. I left this place and stayed at the best western instead.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

I have stayed at the Virgin River in the past and was satisfied with the cleaniness, etc. My last trip in August was just the opposite. The carpet was extremely "dirty" and the room smelled musty and unclean. All perks such as coffee maker, microwave, etc had been removed from the room. Drapes were extremely dirty.
I will not be staying at the Virgin River in the near future nor can I recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Laurel, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

The Virgin River must have hit hard times. My husband and I have stayed here many times in the past (it has been one of the usual stops on our summer and fall road trips); it always had clean rooms at a good price. This year things have changed. The room was very shabby. The carpet had been vacuumed, but was grimy... we dared-not walk barefoot on it. Also, there was no refrigerator or microwave in our room, nor was there an ice machine in our building (had to walk to the next building over). We ate dinner at the Seafood Buffet (Friday night) which had a good selection of overdone seafood dishes. The raw oysters didn't smell very fresh; the shrimp and the scallops were mushy... But, the crab legs were good and so were the desserts. (Unfortunately I spent Friday night and most of Saturday with an upset stomach). It is doubtful that we stay at the Virgin River again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nv
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times the years, the price seem t go up last 4th of July we stayed here since we have dogs. I know they have a pet deposit of $50.00 refundable at time of check out. But it did not state anywhere on my receipt of the pet fee and I was not told of this when I checked in, so I questioned this and in the corner by the desk is a sign, was told about this when I checked out. Told the staff at the front desk they need to put this on the bill when checking in. Now Mr Black. the owner has been going through some tough times had close the Oasis Hotel. They use to give a coupon book when checking in the rates are high for what you get. But the pool is nice and beds are good. Since we are Las Vegas, Nv this is close for us to drive. Would I stay their again I really don't think so total for two night was $165.99 a little steep. I H OPE MRr Black can get it together so the locals from Vegas keep coming his hotel. Oh, no internet have to pay and call for this $9.99 for 24 hr.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

Having driven 873 miles from Missoula MT. en route to Las Vegas the Virgin River Hotel was a very welcome sight. We had seen it advertised for miles and were determined to get there. We had no idea what it would be like. The reception staff were very helpful and obliging. Our room was on the 3rd floor in Building 4 and was accessed by elevator. It was spacious, clean and tidy. Had we not had a reservation for a hotel in Vegas the following night we would have been happy to spend another night there. We ate in the Chuck Wagon restaurant and had a good value for money meal.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

Ohmigod! We stayed on a Saturday night and as soon as we walked in the room there was this horrendous odor. I called the desk and they said they were "filled up" and couldn't give us another room. We had made reservations and were told that we would be charged if we canceled without 24 hours notice, so I thought we were stuck. In retrospect I should have demanded another room or to just cancel the reservation. I slept with a washcloth over my nose. The smell was indescribable - but sickening is close. The shower curtain was stained, the room was dingy and I didn't want to even step barefoot on the floor. It was just the most horrible experience. No amenities of any kind. No coffeepot, no refrigerator, no microwave, not even the little shampoos. Just two little bars of soap. The next day I was sick to my stomach all day from the smell. We paid $99.95 because it was a Saturday - but this room wouldn't be worth it if it was free. I think the place should be condemned by the Board of Health!!!!!!!
P.S. They advertise a free breakfast - but when we asked about it they said, "Oh no, that was discontinued a long time ago." Well, why do they still advertise that you get it with your room? The thing is, it doesn't even matter because after spending the night in that room, you won't be able to eat breakfast anyway. The room number was 3108 - so be sure not to take that room under any circumstances.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

I was sorry to see so many bad reviews and chose this place before I saw them. I stayed one night at $35, plus $10 for two dogs. The only other dog-friendly place in town was almost three times as much, although probably a lot nicer. My dog room did not smell like urine. The staff was very dog friendly. The rooms were not updated but were clean and large. The people at the front desk both on check-in and check-out were very friendly, as were staff around the grounds, and the place was very quiet for me. I stayed on a Monday night, maybe that is why. All in all, it was a positive experience and I am a fairly picky person. They even have a Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to Virgin River Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!