“Economical, compact and complete but not luxurious” 4 of 5 stars

Virgin River Hotel & Casino
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Pioneer Blvd., Mesquite, NV 89027   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mesquite
San Diego, California
“Economical, compact and complete but not luxurious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Sorry. I disagree with the bad reviews on this one. If you expect to get a casino like a top of the line one in Vegas Virgin River Hotel & Casino won't be it. But if you want a nice, comfortable, economical stay in a well run hotel and casino you WILL stay here. I got a great deal online. My room was NOT bad. So it was an older room. Not all hotels and motels renovate each year. No, there was no bad smell in my room. The Internet -- very important to me -- was EXCELLENT. The buffet had a great selection and if some dishes weren't topgrade gourmet quality they were good -- from the Spanish slaw to the huge slices of turkey breast to the Mexican dishes I sampled. Service was FAST and EXTREMELY friendly. So while I could not give this five stars, using a brand new Vegas casino as the standard, this was a place where I WOULD stay again and again. And I travel a great deal. In terms of value, this was one of the best values I've gotten in a year. An older hotel that could use a facelift but it's present face isn't all that bad.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
MSHotelManager, Manager at Virgin River Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
We sincerely appreciate your wonderful review. Thank you and come back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Our room smelled like dog s*it and the air conditioning was very loud..

We went to the $20 Saturday night buffet advertising crap and shrimp.

The crap was the lowest grade possible, tasteless and half warm.

While the shrimp looked good (2"), it was popcorn shrimp loaded with breading. The deserts sucked.

The salad bar was half good but failed to serve expensive vegetables like cilantro or green pepper slices.

If you enjoy great seafood, even Red Lobster puts this place to shame.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We acknowledge your review, thank you.
Arizona, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

See my review from last year. Our room was even more economical this year, only $27 plus tax. The other change this year is that wifi is free. Our room was identical to last year, basic but with everything we needed. We had the prime rib special ($6.99) at the restaurant. I expected a small portion for that price, but it was a full dinner, including potatoes, vegetables and rolls. The casino itself is sort of dated and reeks of stale cigarette smoke, but we’re not gamblers (we were in town to visit relatives) so we didn’t care. Still a good and economical place to stay and eat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving this great review and for returning.
Grantsville, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The rooms are very basic, but very clean. There is no shampoo/conditioner or lotion so plan on bringing your own. They are good sized rooms. I believe about 312 square feet. We had 2 adults, 2 adult sized kids and a dirt bike in the room and were quite comfortable. It was 113 degrees while we were there and the air conditioner worked like a champ! We had to change rooms when we first checked in due to a broken toilet and maintenance was extremely helpful, friendly and quick to make sure we were moved immediately right next door so we didn't have far to drag our crap or need to move the car. Awesome guys!!!!! No complaints!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Your review of our property is appreciated. I will share your comments with our staff. Thank you.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I've stayed at the Virgin River about 10 times in the past several years and never had a bad experience. More recently I had two separate stays the first week of July. The staff at the front desk has never been the most polite or the friendliest. The first night I checked in Janet at the front desk was lacking her customer service skills, but the second night I checked in she was a bit friendlier. I didn't have to wait in line at all to check in.

Both times I stayed in building 5. The first night my room was on the ground floor facing the casino. The room seemed clean at first. The beds were very comfortable. Even with traffic and people walking around right outside the room it was surprisingly quiet. In the morning I noticed a couple bugs on the bathroom floor. The shower drain was also clogged.

The second stay was on the second floor facing the pool. It was a little noisier with people running up and down the side of the hotel along the balcony. This room was a lot cleaner, no bugs in the bathroom. Both stays the a/c worked great!

I thought the majority of the hotel was very clean and well maintained. The only time I was in the casino was during check in but it didn't seem very smoky. The parking lot was clean and I didn't have trouble finding a parking spot close to my room. I did notice a lot of security around the property, especially driving around at night, and I felt safe the entire time. I'll definitely return here since I think it's a great deal, even though it's the most basic room you can get with no amenities, you get what you pay for.

The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because the wifi is very slow, if it works at all. I got it to work for about two hours the second night.

Room Tip: The buildings that are closer to Pioneer Blvd seem to be quieter with more parking spaces around the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for leaving a review and your continued trips.
Idaho Falls, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed here on our way to Anaheim. We had a basic room with two queen beds. The room was clean and the beds were comfy.

The pool was nice. We waited until the sun had past over it to get in because it was so hot outside. The kids loved the arcade and us adults loved the grown-up games.

Only problem we had was the noise outside by other guests after dark. There was someone banging on the door of the hotel room next to us after we went to bed that woke us up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool. It's hot outside and it can be a long walk.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving a review.
Memphis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I had to pay $90. To stay in this $20 dump just because I was passing through on a Saturday. We were on the way to Vegas from Moab and thought it may be a nice place; I was sooo disappointed. They advertise free Wifi but it was too slow to use at all. Crickets chirped and kept us awake all night, they don't even give you conditioner or lotion and the soap is in a shower dispenser. When we made the reservation we were told that the rooms had been upgraded, if this is true, I would hate to see what they were like before. Checking in there was so much smoke and the place looked nasty, we didn't even go back inside, found a restaurant down the street. The hotel is out behind the casino and looks like a little dumpy motel. The only good thing I have to say about it is I didn't see any fleas or bed bugs much to my surprise.

Room Tip: I will not call ahead for reservations again. Would never recommend this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We acknowledge your review, thank you.

Been to Virgin River Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!