“Dog friendly on the river” 3 of 5 stars

Pioneer Hotel & Gambling Hall
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2200 S. Casino Dr., Laughlin, NV 89029   |
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Dog friendly on the river”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

A no frills dog friendly hotel. Paid only $21 booking on hotel.com for a king bed. Our yellow lab loved the river/beach access. Our non-smoking room had no smell of smoke. Don't expect luxe and you will not be disappointed. Lots of nearby restaurants.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Fun, family owned hotel & casino. Great breakfast buffet and gambling. We especially enjoyed the bar overlooking the river. Just steps away from the river and other casinos. You can't beat the price and location!

• Stayed June 2013
L.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We got a great rate considering we brought our dog with us. It was nice having a river view room right near the small beach, so we could take her out for a romp in the sand in the morning. The room itself was okay except it didn't look like the floor had been vacuumed. I called housekeeping and was told to go look for the maid who should be around there somewhere. Luckily, she was just a few doors down and was happy to accommodate my request.

Besides the lack of vacuuming, the room was reasonably clean, but I still wasn't too keen on walking around on the carpet barefoot. I was glad I had brought my slippers! The shower, sink and toilet worked fine, and they kept us stocked up on toiletries and towels, but it's true there was no hair dryer, coffee maker, iron or alarm clock. We had plenty of cable channels on the old tube TV, but neither of us could get a Wi-Fi signal in the room. We also had problems getting a signal in the bar. The bar had a great view of the river, a great internet juke box, and some good microbrews on tap.

The grounds were actually very nice, just dirty. There were used glasses, bottle caps, cigarette butts and miscellaneous trash everywhere. The place would be extremely nice if they would just make of of their *many* employees go around and pick up the trash. We never checked out the pool area. It looked okay from outside. One cool thing was there was a couple of semi-tame skunks running around and several feral cats. Some people might be turned off by that, but I saw a lot of people stopping to look and take pictures.

We had two meals in the restaurant and both were good. The late night "snacks" we had in the snack bar were awful, and the service there wasn't that great either. Overall, the service throughout our entire stay -- at the Pioneer and at the other casinos as well -- was fair to not terrible. But, it's Nevada........what else is there to say? Service here never gets better than "not terrible." The Tropicana across the street, and the Golden Nugget next door, are much better hotels, and if not for the dog, I would've stayed at one of those. But for what we paid, and being able to bring the dog in, I was satisfied.

Room Tip: If having Wi-Fi is important, request a room where you will definitely get a signal. If not, I real...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

For starters we knew this was not going to be a great hotel we booked here only for our dog. This was the only hotel that would allow a dog that weighs more then 50 pounds! Quite the bummer our yellow lab weighs 90, so I went with very little expectations... Well this place falls far from that. Bed terribly HARD no sleep at all, shower terrible as well, this place is so bad that if I could find another place for our dog Jack I'd had forgone what I paid here and gladly paid someplace else! No hair dryer, no iron T.V. is from the 80's, several light bulbs are out, no ice machines you call housekeeping and pay $2 unless you want to walk 150+ yards, I asked for non smoking well none available when I got here and they put me in yes smoking room. My suggestion DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived early and the clerk was nice and let us check in at noon, which I really appreciated. It is a basic motel. We were on the third floor with a view of the river, nice. The rooms are outdated, but they were clean. The best part is it is in a very good location and you can walk to almost all the casinos from here easily along the river walk. There is security walking around all the time. It seemed like a quiet night, so I am not sure how it would be on a busy night. For the price, it was good, nothing fancy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few nights to visit some family and friends. The hotel staff and housekeeping were really friendly and nice. The casino itself was small, the saloon was great! Ordered a drink & wings & not only was it great priced but it was delishious. The room itself was iffy.. The bathroom had holes in the wall of the shower that were covered by door stoppers, the sealing from the tub to the wall was coming apart, the floor itself was coming apart & busted, the corner of the wall was chipped away & the wall paper in the room was tearing off. The only real thing that bugged me was that housekeeping only came once a trip in the morning, so if you're not out of your room in the morning your room won't be clean. We didn't stay in the room all day so it's not like we lived in a mess but it was still a bummer. The price was something no one could beat, $126 for 3 nights? Uhmmm yes!!

• Stayed August 2013
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a nice place to stay and play small but its not vegas!! foods real good will go back.slots did not pay out good been a long time that i have stayed there walked in and not a lot of players there i think its better at night time to play was like 121 out side butt over all it was nice casino thanks randy. m.

Room Tip: go look at it before you stay so easy to ask
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pioneer Hotel & Gambling Hall? Share your experiences!