“Ok food for the $$$” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night Food, Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Late Night Food, Breakfast, Late Night
“Ok food for the $$$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Arrived at Bubba Gumps 10/22/13 with my wife and another couple. The waitress did great and offered up some Forrest Gump trivia while we were waiting for our meal. I ordered the fish (hokey) and chips and my wife had the shrimp cocktail, and a chicken Caesar salad. Although the food was good it was nothing too special. The shrimp could have been cleaned better for $13 (for 5 shrimp) and the $12 Caesars salad could have had tomatoes and cucumbers in it. But it was ok and the waitress was entertaining.

Tucson, Arizona
“Needs work... but the framework is joyously there.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

That's kind of a negative title for the review, and it's deliberate, in spite of my "4 dot" rating.

We had an intelligent and enthusiastic waiter.

The food was quite good. (I had a bit of a large burnt corner on the garlic bread, but that's forgivable in my book. Especially after eating the gumbo. Delicious!)

We had a party of nine, which was easily accommodated. That is always a joy.

So what was wrong? It was poorly organized, seemingly on purpose.

What on earth could bring this criticism forth from me?

When it came time to serve the food, the servers had no clue about who was getting what.

What's more, the food came in dribbles: 3 people got theirs, then about 10 minutes later 5 of us got ours, then my poor brother in law had to sit for at least another 5 minutes for his dish.

But... ON PURPOSE? Where do I come up with that?

Firstly, someone decided to allow servers to deliver the food without them knowing who gets what. That is a huge mistake. It is a cardinal sin in good restaurant practice.

Second, our first 3 people served were given soup or salad long before the main course was served.

This is silly menu or kitchen planning: keep the diners from envying each other, especially when they're ALL hungry. For dinners after 6 p.m. serve the soup or salad with the main course, or no more than 4 minutes before. Even if you have to hold the stuff back a few minutes, it's still better than taunting the hungry. (It's a little more bussing, but it makes for happier customers.)

And my brother in law? It was simply poor kitchen planning I'm sure. Unfortunately, he was starting to think it was incompetence.

But the biggest sin was the disorganized "who gets what" of the service. THAT truly was stupid.

Stupid is a strong word, but I mean it.

When orders are taken for food, most waiters have a "round the table" system or some other system in place for making sure who gets what. This is standard in a well run restaurant.

Now, management could reply, "Well, shouldn't everyone KNOW what they ordered?"

My answer is a simple, "No."

Certainly in our case the confusion at the table resulted in "Well, I don't know exactly" and "I don't remember" from several people. It's an exotic menu that each of us spent time considering: saying "maybe this instead of that" - so several of us were not entirely sure what we had finally decided to order.

The confusion can be avoided with simple systems.

No, I will say that differently: "That confusion should MOST CERTAINLY be avoided by preventive management." (Anything reasonable to make the experience more pleasing, right?)

One of the simplest fixes is simply to have the waiter come to the table and advise the servers about who gets what. If the waiter can't remember, he's not fit to be a waiter.

So what is the saving grace of this place?

The enthusiasm and the gleeful rendition of the Bubba Gump (no royalty for "intellectual property" to the Girl Scouts) Birthday Song and Dance.

This was not to be missed in either this world or the next. Seriously.

We'll come back, but for the time being I'm going to guess that we'll have some silly surprises from inexperienced management... but we'll still come back. Enthusiastic kids need to make a living, too.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“The waiters are excellent. The food is so so.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The waiters really try to make your visit enjoyable. All of them! The total opposite of the front desk staff! Like another universe!

Visited October 2013
Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA
“close to the water, watch the boats go by.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Same menu as the other Bubba Gump. If you visited the others Bubba Gump and like it, you will like this one too.
Gets you out of the casino and looking at the river if you go outside on large, non-smoking deck, or stay inside and watch many TV's with sports.

Visited August 2013
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Lovely food, was able to sit outside along with hundreds of flying insects. However, the tables were sprayed with citronella, and with candles lit they didn't cause too much of a nuisance. Had the shrimp mac and cheese starter as a main course and it was just lovely as well as enough.

Visited October 2013