“Great deal for the price” 5 of 5 stars

Avi Resort & Casino
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   10000 Aha Macav Pkwy, Laughlin, NV 89029   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Laughlin
Spearfish, South Dakota
“Great deal for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I recently visited the Avi with my Dad, who visits the resort 2-3 times a year because it is a great value and central to a number of golf courses. While I don't golf I do enjoy recreational outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking, and the Avi is great proximity to a number of trails, parks and rivers. The accomodations were about average as far as comfort and amenities go, but it was better than I would expect for the price. We stayed for 6 days and did not have any negative experiences. Staff at the hotel, the casino, and restaurants were always friendly. The quality of the buffet was quite good for the price, compared to Vegas buffets there were fewer choices but I found the quality of the food to be better than most. The resort has a beautiful waterfront beach and pool, and I hope I can return in warmer weather some time to enjoy it. The casino had a large assortment of slots and table games, and both my Dad and I won enough money to pay for our week long stay. My only complaint about the resort is that it is certainly geared to an older crowd, with the average age in the casino being about 60 when I was there. Being in my 30's it was a fun place to be on a family vacation, but wouldn't be much fun with a group of friends. The older crowd also meant a large number of smokers, and as a non-smoker I would have appreciated a better ventilation system, especially in the bingo hall. But overall I had a very pleasant experience at the Avi resort, and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Big Bear City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed at the Resort for a Mojave Motorcycle ride. The entire staff was very helpful to the riders and chase truck (us). The motorcycle parking is secure and close to the front. The valet staff was amazing helping with gear bags. And the Bell Service stored all of the gear bags (over 20) until the rdiers arrived in the early eavening. After a long day of riding the desert, the buffet staff was very willing to seat us all together. The food was an average buffet. We are not gamblers, but the staff and rooms were great! Thanks Avi, we will be back next year for the same great deal!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

an overall terrible experience and we will not be returning. we took our son, who just returned home after spending the past year in Iraq serving our country in the U.S. Army, along with a group of 14 of our friends to The AVI to celebrate our Soldier's safe return home. we've never been to The AVI before and was impressed with their webisite. while the pool area is very nice, the casino & hotel are in terrible condition. we asked for bell service to help us with our luggage and we never got it. along with several of our friends/family, we had several issues with our room (the shower leaked; the deadbolt lock on our door did not work; the tv did not work and there was a 12" bird-poop stain in the center of our window - gross!). the elevator on our floor did not work either (the South Tower). we reported these issues to maintenance and the tv and birdpoop stain were never resolved. i also complained upon check out, but nothing was said. needless to say, we were very disappointed by the lack of professional, friendliness and concern by the staff The AVI.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I thought I did the appropriate research before booking a standard room at the Avi Resort. The Avi website announces a lot of the features of the resort, a private beach, a beautiful pool, access to golf, a Brenden movie theatre in the casino, and “the largest bingo hall in Laughlin.” It sounds like the Avi is truly a resort destination and not just a hotel/casino. My wife and I live in Las Vegas, so we recognize the distinction.

Unfortunately, I did not map the address of the Avi before I booked the room. The Avi Resort is actually on the Fort Mojave Indian reservation about 20 minutes away from the other Laughlin casinos. This is partly my mistake for assuming the Laughlin address meant that the hotel was within walking distance of any other building in Laughlin, but the hotel information did not try to make things very clear for me.

The beach and pool really are as nice as they seem in the photos, and although we didn’t use those features in our stay (since we traveled in January) they are what keeps the score for the Avi above a 1 out of 5.

The sleeping accommodations are where the Avi loses most of its points. The room was small and reasonably clean, although it has the feel of an old room with wallpaper loose at the seam in some spots. Unfortunately, there was no minifridge or microwave, but those items are not always standard. The real issues come from the bed, air conditioning, and shower.

The bed coverings were old and scratchy, the kind that never really feel clean, and the mattress was such a low quality steel spring that you felt every wire in the grid on your back and the mattress creaked and squeaked with every nighttime roll.

The air conditioning was an under window mounted unit, pretty standard for an average motel room, but the unit was not seated properly and allowed a constant flow of COLD air from the outside. Even while the unit was running, cold air was rushing in to fight the warm air it was generating. Combine that leak with how loud the fan was when it was blowing and you have a source of noise that can not be turned off all night because the room can not maintain temperature.

Final room comment. The shower. I’ve showered in hard water before (Vegas has very hard water), but I have not showered in water this hard since 2009 when we had hail (sorry I’m not good at jokes). The water was hot and had good pressure, but not only did the soap not lather, but I didn’t feel clean after the shower and my skin felt dry right away.
I’ll conclude with some general resort comments. If the Avi has the largest bingo parlor in Laughlin, then they must be counting storage in the back. I’d recommend the River Palms for bingo, the parlor is windowed to the river, and the displays are all nice and modern. The casino are is smaller than most Laughlin casinos, but does have some of everything a gambler would be looking for. We only ate at the café for breakfast, but it was terrible. So we left the Avi with a bad taste in our mouths… literally (sorry).

If you are looking for a summer time resort independent of Laughlin proper, then maybe the Avi is worth a look. You can always just eat at the Subway in the casino.

Room Tip: Check for leaks around the A/C unit when you get your room. If there is, you should ask for a switc...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chico, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We've stayed here a few times in the past because we have family nearby.
The rooms: you can get very good deals on the rooms. They are inexpensive and clean; however, they are basic, dated and ugly.
The restaurants: we've eaten at the Feathers Cafe. It was just ok. The Native Harvest Buffet is pretty good. The Subway sandwich shop is good for taking sandwiches to the pool or go to sbarros and get a pizza to go.
The pool: small, but fun. They have a children's area near the back that has built-in water pistols. We spent an entire afternoon there with family and had a great time. Had the kids swim until they were exhausted and then pulled on dry clothes and took them for an early dinner at the buffet nearby.
Movie theatre: there is a movie theatre inside the casino and it's very clean and has stadium seating. There is no ticket counter- you buy your tickets at the concession stand. Movie times are for the Nevada time zone. Keep this in mind if you're coming from the AZ side.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with 15 yr old son. We got one of the rooms that they recently remodeled. Big room with two queen size beds plus little table with chairs. Bathroom was nice and big but they need softer towels. Casino is big but not too big. If you love penny slots this is the place for you. They also have a little arcade, child care and movie theater. Nice swimming pool and great beach area for the summer. Plenty of places to eat inside of casino. We paid $23 a night during the week. Can't go wrong if you don't mind a drive to the other hotels in Laughlin. This sits all by itself. Seeing family in Bullhead so for us a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly remodeled room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

In November, 2011, for the second time, I booked this hotel/resort for my daughter as she was traveling to and from CA. I have not personally stayed here myself but she has continually raved about the resort and its amenities. She enjoys the buffet and has found the room exceptional for the value. I am eager to stay there myself sometime while in the area just to see what it is she's raving about! I booked it through Hotels.com. What? A hotel/resort for less than $30/night? It's almost unheard of! I can say, too, that the hotel clerk I talked to while contacting the hotel after having booked it on Hotels.com was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Avi Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!