“Iconic, but old” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera Hotel & Casino

You added Riviera Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Riviera Hotel & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Ranked #148 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Maine
“Iconic, but old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here because I had a business convention at the hotel, so they offered a "cheaper" rate for the people attending the convention (which was totally bogus because the rate I paid for convention price was $59.00 during the middle of the week and while I was there they were offering rooms for $24.00). The rooms were not too bad and were very clean. I was a little leery after reading previous reviews and looking at pictures, but the room was much better than I anticipated, although things were a little outdated.

The pool was very nice and was open earlier and later than any of the other pools at the other hotels we stayed at. The entire pool area was spotless and for the first hour they are open they have it for lap swimming only, which was nice. It was a nice experience to stay in one of the older, iconic hotels on the strip. There is a picture hanging in the hallway to the elevators that shows what the Riv looked like when it was first built with nothing but desert on the other side of the pool! Very nice piece of history. The service we received here was great, especially housekeeping.

Overall, we did have a good stay, but you have to know up front not to expect anything exceptional here, just your average, run-of-the-mill hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views of the strip.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Riviera. I am very glad you enjoyed the pool and the service you received from the Riviera staff. We do open our pool early to accommodate lap swimmers 8a-9a daily, the pool is open to open swimming from 9a-9p.

Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations | generalmanager@theriviera.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Prepare to get a smoking room whether non smoking is requested or not. We booked a non smoking room because of bad asthma my boyfriend has and he cannot be around smoke we explained this was a major health concern but the front desk brought the manager who seemed to not care told us when we booked non smoking it was subject to change. We were told we could upgrade to a non smoking room for a nightly cost which added up quickly. When leaving we had a late flight and I asked if they had a late check out and the manager simply told me no and that we needed to check out at 11am or 12pm at the latest though our flight was around 12am. The manager was neither friendly nor helpful and after a long day traveling we were not in the mood to argue. Later I saw they did offer late check outs called the front desk multiple times to avoid the extremely long lines but was out on hold every time after one call of being on hold for 45 minutes I just hung up and waited in the long front desk line. I was informed for $25 we could check out at 4pm.

The room was clean and decent housekeeping seemed to be fine no problems there.

The hotel was great value for the price but after upgrading (which everyone seemed to have to do as I overheard standing in the long front desk lines), the $15 hotel fee, and the late check out it was about an extra $200 from all we had already spent.

Expect a good hotel on the strip and clean rooms decent for the price but long check in/out lines and very rude customer service from the staff regarding rooms.

Also if you plan to weigh the casino in the hotel into your travel plans I would not suggest it but there are many other great casinos near by.

Again the hotel was good for the price the rude customer service on top of the extra fees left a bad taste in my mouth and I hope that they work on these issues in the future.

• Stayed June 2013
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I am sorry that you had mixed feeling about The Riviera and its staff. Customer service is our main focus and I very surprised that you encountered so many issues especially with one of my managers. As I have written in previous responses it is true the bed and smoking preference is not guaranteed and rooms are given on a first come first serve basis. The Riviera does charge a daily resort fee of $15 per room to all non casino guests, this fee is waived for members of our casino rewards program based on casino play. The resort fee’s are a fixture on Las Vegas Blvd, and are charged at almost every strip property ranging from $10-$25 per night. The resort the Rivera Charges includes internet usage for multiple devices, Coffee from Java Stop, Daily Newspaper, Valet parking, use of our business center, and access to our 24 hour work out facilities.

St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were upgraded to a deluxe room when we checked in. The first room was near the elevator and had an awful buzzing noise, we were too tired to move the first night so wore ear plugs, the second day they moved us without any fuss to another room.

The prices you pay are very cheap, I'd highly recommend staying here and have infact booked to stay with them again in November 2013.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I thank you very much for the positive review of your recent Stay here at The Riviera. I look forward to having you come stay with us again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've stayed here twice before and despite the criticism from some I always thought this place was good value for money. But I was sorely disappointed on this visit, we had booked non-smoking rooms online in advance but when we tried to check-in we were told their was only smoking rooms available. After a few moments arguing we got told we can have the non-smoking rooms but only if we pay $20 per night, per room as an "upgrade". We argued it wasn't really an upgrade if this is what we paid for in the first place but the receptionist was determined to get more cash out of us and the only other option we had was to come back later after 4pm to see if anything better becomes available thus making us sit in foyer with our bags and then to wait in a long queue again at 4pm. We had to eventually ask to see the manager to get what we initially paid for. Other things to watch out for is in the hotel's casino, twice i was nearly short changed by $5, first while changing chips to play roulette and then when I cashed my chips with the cashier. Whether this was a deliberate act or incompetence is debatable but I stopped playing the hotel's tables after these experiences. Otherwise the hotel is fine but I'll never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced at The Riviera during your recent visit. I have written before that the Riviera does not guarantee room type or smoking preference. When you book your room we do our best to accommodate smoking and bed preference, but on some high occupancy evenings we are unable to accommodate every request.

Temple, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

For over 30 years I have been coming to Las Vegas and staying at the Riviera. I will never stay there again. I came to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. I made the reservations back in March to arrive on June 17. When we arrived and prepared to check in we were told the room we requested was not available as rooms are given on a first come, first serve basis. That makes no sense at all, why have anyone make reservations then? However if we wanted to pay an extra $20.00 a night we could get a room right away. Of course. We were told the room was recently renovated.

The first thing we noticed was the vomit stain right outside the room door. If in fact it was not possible to remove that stain, at a minimum the carpet should have been replaced in that area. The room was not clean properly. There was dust on the furniture and hair in the bathroom. Both the bathtub and the bathroom sink did not drain properly. It was so disappointing and if was obvious to us the room had not been "recently" renovated. Every day we returned to our room, after being gone for several hours, to find the room had not been made up. We did not leave the "do not disturb" sign on the door. The list can just go on....

That was my last visit to the Riviera.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I was certainly distressed to hear of the difficulties you encountered while our guest. I am disappointed you left our establishment with a negative impression of our services and facilities, but can assure you that the problems you encountered are not indicative of our normal level of service. I highly encourage any guest who is not happy or experiencing a lack of service to please reach out to a manager so we can correct the situation. The Riviera wants every guest to enjoy their time with us and I promise we will do our best to ensure every guest has a great time.

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I thought going into this hotel that it would be old and dull .It was fun and had everything needed in a hotel casino.The staff were helpful, nothing was an issue.The rooms were spotless.Next time i would ask however not to have the joining door to the next room , that got noisy at times.The food was plentiful, not the healthiest but it was easy enough to find places to eat.The price was great and the shuttle bus pulled up right outside.I would go back to this hotel for savings alone .

Room Tip: I stayed in the Monaco tower over looking the pool .It was a bit quieter and brighter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I am very glad to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay, and am very glad to hear you will be coming back. I am happy that you appreciated the value and service we provided to you.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The Riviera is a great place to stay. I am a member of their rewards program. I stayed there for four nights and my total bill was $40,00 and some change. The room was clean and comfortable. Since it is down the strip it does not get crowds. The Riviera is a classic and one of the first hotels on the strip. You can not beat the value. I will continue to stay at The Riviera.

Room Tip: Join the reward program
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
I am very glad to hear from one of our Riviera Rewards members who enjoyed their visit and preferred service. We do have special perks for our casino rewards members and the service is free to sign up for. Thank you for the great review and we hope you come back and stay with us again very soon.

Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations | generalmanager@theriviera.com

Been to Riviera Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!