“You pay $15 extra when you arrive for wifi that doesn't work anywhere, a paper that is not available, and stabd in line for coff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera Hotel & Casino

You added Riviera Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Riviera Hotel & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Ranked #154 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Booking.com doesn't inform you of the extra $15 a day that pays for services, and services that don't work or are usually free in other hotels. The signal fades in out every minute so Netflix is out! Phone and Fire never got the bandwith to get in over 5 days anywhere in the hotel! The $15 includes coffee (normally free in rooms) that you stand in line for (in the Lobby area), and a paper (usually at your door) that you go retrieve, but gone by 7am. WiFi is important. You can't sell it to me and not have it. I am writing thiis one hour efore checkou at McDonalds across the street with a signal. If management does something to correct I will write another review shortly.

• Stayed May 2013
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
I am sorry to learn that you were let down by our internet service and had to utilize another facility. The Riviera does charge a $15 nightly resort fee that is clearly listed on our website, as to third party sites I can only say they have all been made aware of the fee but ultimately it is up to them what they show on their individual web sites. Rest assured I have already reached out to this guest for follow up.

Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations | generalmanager@theriviera.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Very clean hotel, rooms were clean and comfortable. At the end of the strip just away from the hustle & bustle, which is what we wanted. Bus stops right in front making it easy to get around.
Our only issue was the free wi-fi. We could not connect at all until our last day, and when we did it was on & off, on for only brief periods. We called the front desk at least twice a day, we had 2 rooms and neither could connect. Front desk kept telling us they would email the I.T. Dept. we run a business and needed Internet to handle business issues. My data roaming will cost me about $500 as it is $6/mb.
Add the extra $500 to the cost of our trip and we could have stayed at the Bellagio.
When we wanted to speak to the manager upon check out, there conveniently wasn't one available.
Our trip wa great other than the fact I'm out about $500 unnecessarily.

• Stayed May 2013
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay at The Riviera. I will be sure to forward your concerns and issues to my team. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I will use your email as constructive criticism and a tool to help us better our property.

Bay Point, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

My company unfortunately booked us rooms here last year since it's close to the convention center and ultra cheap (our rooms were 20 bucks a night plus the $11/day "resort fee", though this is no resort)

The Riv is one of the oldest surviving casinos in Vegas, built in the 50's, and it shows. It's dirty, dingy, dark, and depressing. One of my co-workers was lucky enough to be upgraded to one of the "new" rooms after he complained about the bellman leaving his luggage in their "holding area", an oil-covered parking space in the deck. The newer renovated rooms are decent but they don't make up for the rest of the place.

My room was one of the old style, with a really tiny bathroom (more like a closet), worn out carpet, ancient furniture, pathetically thin threadbare sheets, and filthy curtains with holes in them.

Those pathetic curtains didn't block out any of the bright lights flooding in from Circus Circus at night, so I ended up using all the pillows, the chair, the table, and anything I could get my hands on to squash them as tightly together as possible to even be able to sleep. I'm sure housekeeping thought I was crazy, but at least they left it alone for the duration of my stay.

Wifi is included in the resort fee, but is spotty and slow at best. And why is the safe under the nightstand, where you have to get down on the dirty carpet to use it?? At least the bed was semi-comfortable

Unless you're forced to stay here, spend the extra few dollars to go somewhere else... this place is overdue for the wrecking ball

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Amarillo Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

First time in Las Vegas and I needed something inexpensive, so I chose the Riveria. The room was in the San Mateo tower which was a three mile hike from the parking, through the main Monaco tower, past the pool and into the second tower. The room we were placed in was another three mile hike, down two long corridors and the last room on the right. The room was dingy and looked like the 60's early 70's. The shower curtain was just a cover and the water sprayed all over the floor. The shower head was like shooting razor water at you, and if you had had a sunburn you wouldn't be able to due to painful water. The shower head could not be adjusted. The air conditioner was so loud every time it came on and went off. It sounded like it was going to fall out of the ceiling the bangs were so loud. The double beds were hard and uncomfortable. The room smelled as if they tried to clean it after it being a smoking room. My next trip to Las Vegas, I will splurge on a more expensive hotel in the middle of the strip.

Room Tip: Splurge on a good hotel on the strip.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I was certainly distressed to hear of the difficulties you encountered while our guest. I am disappointed you left our establishment with a negative impression of our services and facilities, but can assure you that the problems you encountered are not indicative of our normal level of service. It sounds as though you stayed in our San Remo tower classic room type. I can assure future guests that what was described in the review is in no way a typical experience for a classic room. The hotel has a 24hour maintenance team and I wish your troubles would have been communicated as I am sure we could have addressed the issues described.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights here over the weekend at about 111USD per night (not like the $29 or $39 others paid for a weekday) but i guess it's already cheaper that what others pay for on a weekend at a 5 star establishment. And with the GM replying to review from TA, i think they really care for their business

After reading reviews, decided to book the Luxury room at Monaco Tower(since it is newly renovated), and the rooms were great and clean. I would say the Luxury room is modernly done up, with comfy bed, etc. However the room and bathroom are small though, and the TV doesn't have many channels to choose from. It's a pity they checked me in to a low floor 4424, even though i request for a higher floor and am staying for 3 nights. 44xx is at most 4th or 5th story, with a pool view. If u need a free alarm at 8 am, this is a good room as music from the pool will start playing at that time. At night, it's peaceful and quiet.

To get to the rooms from the strip, you have to take a stroll pass the whole casino, not a big deal unless you are in a rush. But if you take the airport shuttle or drive, the dropoff/parking area is near the check-in counter.

Free Wifi is available even for non-guests, as there's no log in password, the signal is SOOO strong that i can even use it at the lobby of circus circus. HAHA. Resort fee is $15USD a night.

Casino is abit dated and dark, especially the area near the foodcourt with the pinball machines, should do a revamp there as well as the foodcourt.

Location wise, it's farther up north of the strip, and you have to travel further south to get to the shopping, shows, etc. With the deuce bus stopping just outside the hotel it is rather convenient to take the bus up and down the strip, but do note that because of heavy traffic in the evening(peak), it will will probably take you 40 mins to reach MGM (south side) compared to 20mins in the offpeak periods. If you want to take the monorail, that will be about 10-15 mins walk away.

Overall, a good and comfortable stay with Riviera for the budget conscious, it would be better if I had a higher floor with some view. You pay what you get, so do not expect 5* treatment and facilities and complain it's not comparable to them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, very much for the great review of your recent stay at The Riviera. I am glad you enjoyed the recently renovated Monaco tower and encourage future guests to book Luxury rooms ahead of time or inquire at check in. I noted that you felt as though the bathroom was a bit on the small side and am sorry you were not 100% satisfied. The Riviera does offer a full range of suites and penthouses for guests looking for larger accommodations. Please inquire with your check in agent for availability of suites. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your recent experiences it is greatly appreciated.

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I had read absolutely horrible reviews on this property. I was travelling on business and we had a block of 10 rooms, so I had no choice. I stayed in the newly renovated Monaco tower and it was really good value for the money...especially considering the massive trade show that was happening just across the street. I paid 39 dollars. The room was clean, the bed and linens were new, comfortable, clean, and fresh. In broad terms, this is a lot of room for the money. Another major hotel across the street cost several times as much and is not as nice. The Monaco tower is the renovated one so ask for it specifically. It's an older Vegas property so don't expect the Wynn for 39 a night but it was really good. Free Wi Fi. Large fridge, I love that!

OH...no coffee maker Boo!

But still really good

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GMRivieraLV, General Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you, very much for the great review of your recent stay at The Riviera. I am glad that you appreciated the value we offer here at the Riviera and enjoyed the amenities as well; The Riviera does its utmost by offering competitive prices and services that are not matched on The Las Vegas Strip. In your review you mentioned that you “had read absolutely horrible reviews on this property”. I realize that there is a rare strongly negative review of the hotel but these are few and far between I can assure you. The Rivera receives far more positive feedback then it does negative and the vast majority of our guests enjoy their time spent with us.

Placentia, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Place is just O.K. but would not stay here again...too dark and dingy. But they had a great Comedy Show which we went to. We are not smokers and prefer a newer Hotel to stay in that has better Air Filtration in the Public areas.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Riviera only because it was an arranged trip with Casablanca Express and would not...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to write your review and let us know about your recent stay at The Riviera. I noted in your review that you were not happy about the smoking in the hotel area. The Riviera does cater to smokers as well as non smoking guests and we try to ensure each enjoys their experience. For our guests who have a strong aversion to smoking we highly suggest you book our Luxury room product in the Monaco tower. The entire Monaco tower is no smoking and these rooms can be booked at a very nominal additional price.

Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations | generalmanager@theriviera.com

Been to Riviera Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!