“OMG” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riviera Hotel & Casino

You added Riviera Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Riviera Hotel & Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2901 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Ranked #148 of 269 Hotels in Las Vegas
Schaumburg, Illinois
“OMG”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Checking was awful almost 1 hour wait . only 2 clerks behind the counter. The room looked like motel 6 - sink was stopped up. The bed was busted very uncomfortable. I made a complaint and guess what i was told, you pay for what you get . What a thing to say to a customer.

Never again will i stay at the Classic Riviera

Room Tip: only rich people get the best rooms
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
GMRivieraLV, Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to Review the Riviera. I see you stayed with us in April of 2011. We have made many improvements since your stay. We have added additional staffing to the front desk our goal is to make the check in and out experience as quick as possible for our guest. We also have replaced a lot of the mattresses in the hotel and are in the process of upgrading bedding and addressing rooms that have not been completely re-furbished. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay and will share your review to help make improvements to the Riviera.
Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations | generalmanager@theriviera.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

The point is this place is not for the easily-fooled or easily-led! More later on that...This place is glitzy and huge!. The elevator in the parking garage, however, is disgusting, old, hot, and a little scary! You would think with all the money the casino makes they could fix that... on the brighter side, there are cameras and an intercom in the elevators. Walking from the parking garage to check-in through a maze of shops, restaurants, and the casino took several minutes as self parking is quite far from check-in, but I was told that will change when the re-modeling is finished. They were in the process of remodeling some areas of the building to add a bingo room and fix or change some other stuff.
It was 6pm on a Sunday night and there was a line about 100+ people waiting to check in. I was tired from a 9-hour drive and trying very hard to find the humor in it, but just about all the people waiting looked very unhappy. The good news is I found out most of them could have used the express check-in computers but didn't know it. I tried it and it worked like a charm! Got 2 keys and all the receipts, info, and discount tickets from the machine within a couple of minutes! My room was very clean and the beds were quite comfy. The only thing missing was a fridge, or at the very least it could have had in-room coffee! The view from my 7th floor window would have been better if the outside of the windows was clean, but it was best at night with all the lights from Circus Circus and the surrounding buildings lit up. Oh, and the fitness room and Spa was completely non-operational. No massage people and they were re-modeling the fitness room - a disappointment there!

There are a couple of vacation kiosks in which hungry timeshare salespeople will grab you as you walk by with offers of free shows and free dinners if you agree to listen to a 90-minute presentation. Go ahead if you want...the comedy show i saw was great. (Lucky for me it was part a package deal so i didn't have to listen to a presentation.) They also offer what they claim is the best topless show in Vegas... (If you want to buy a timeshare, i would suggest checking out resales first because they tend to be 1/2 the cost of what you pay from the developer.)

One kiosk on the way from the parking to casino/hotel is well worth stopping at if you're a smoker...the e-cigarette place offers a free try and some great deals on electronic cigarettes to satisfy your smoking needs in even the most taboo of places. One girl who worked there all 3 days i was there was extremely helpful and very nice to talk to as well!

Check-out was the same as check-in: Long line of people waiting, almost no one using the computers. I used the computer and checked out within 2-3 minutes, and noticed people lining up for them shortly after that.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
GMRivieraLV, Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor. The Riviera is going through a lot of different changes. We currently have the BINGO room open and R Steak and Seafood with many more changes to come. Thank you again for your feed back.
worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This was my 10th visit to Vegas,and 2nd stay at The Riviera.
the Riviera is an older style hotel and it meets all my needs.I am quite happy staying at a hotel like this or Circus Circus as it is spacious,clean,affordable and has plenty of character.
Rather than splash out extra on rooms at the Wynn or Bellagio I would rather have extra spending money and pay less for the room.The Riviera is great.admittedly it is somewhat north of a lot of the sites but there is the monorail at The Hilton so if you want to go to the southern part of the strip and are too tired to walk you can jump on there for a few dollars.
Personally I cant understand why people bother spending so much more on a room 10 minutes further down the strip.The Riviera is a smaller hotel,but is still 20 times bigger than most hotels in England.
There is an English styled pub inside,which isn't very authentic but they have a Darts and pool room round the back.It is expensive and the food is just average to be honest.
the showroom is pretty good there too.We saw a Karaoke show, a Rat pack impression show and a Motown show..all very good.When we walked out of the Motown show I came face to face with ex Heavyweight Champion Evander Holyfield who had been sat behind me..we had a photo and a chat with him so we were all quite happy about that!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.Rooms are fine,the buffett is great and the shows are ok too..the only downside is it is a bit of a walk to the Centre of the strip.
But if walking is a problem for you then you shouldn't be in Vegas!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rivera Hotel. I see you stayed with us in February 2011. We have had a lot of exciting updates since your last visit. We have added a BINGO room the only bingo room on the Las Vegas strip. We have remodeled the steak house with new décor and menu. We have more improvements coming soon. Thank you again for all of your positive feedback.
Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations | generalmanager@theriviera.
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I'm writing this as I'm standing in line to check out of the Riviera. We're the second position in line and have been for 20 minutes. The check in and out process is terrible.

When we checked in, our bed was made, but the room itself hadn't been cleaned as evidenced by the note that said how we had left the do not disturb sign on the door and to call housekeeping when we wanted them to clean it. There was no soap or shampoo in the bathroom.

They put us into a room with an adjoining door to the next one. I could hear every single word our neighbors spoke. Entire conversations. This kept us awake all night and when I called the front desk I was told to call security. I don't know which genius designed the adjoining rooms' doors, but they're awful. Normal conversations shouldn't keep me awake at night.

There was only one nightstand and there obviously had been 2 at one time so it wasn't intentional. And it meant that the clock, which was on the remaining nightstand, had to remain unplugged since there was no outlet near it.

I cannot believe we are STILL waiting in line! It's been at least 10 minutes since I started writing this. This is insane!

Anyway, they tried to charge us at check in for the entire stay--including the first night's stay which we'd already paid for. Of course once we brought it to the clerk's attention, she busted out the ADDING MACHINE to adjust it. We made the reservation online with no problem, so why can't the computer system here handle that?

They finally moved us to another (nicer) room at 430 this morning so that we could sleep, but it's kind of too little too late.

My boyfriend just checked us out using the kiosk and of course the bill was wrong, but we don't have the energy to wait another hour to fix it.

The beds were comfortable and I enjoyed the pool area.

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had. It seemed very poorly managed and I couldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for sharing your review with us. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. I noticed in your review you stated your bill was not correct. If you would like to email me your reservation information to the email below we can look into this for you.
Rittman, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed at the Riviera for 2 nights before and after our California vacatiion. The hotel was huge and very well maintained and the rooms were clean and the showers were great! We also loved the casinos and also enjoyed the English Pub there. The pool was huge and nice atmosphere. For the price this hotel was definitely a great value.

Room Tip: We got our hotel through Hotwire.com
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and all of the positive comments will be passed on to the staff and departments. Thank you again
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This was our first trip to Vegas and we picked the Riviera Hotel and Casino for our 2 night stay....BAD IDEA! When we arrived all we wanted to do was check in to our room and get some rest....it took us about a hour to get through the check in line, once we got to the counter Joyce was assisting us. She was very polite when she informed us that our reservations were not in the system....we had to call vegas.com to have them fax our info, After another hour of waiting and faxing we finally got our room.....Not even a upgraded room or a apology. Now the room....I dont like to complain but I feel i need to this time. The room has a weird smell, the bed had hair on it, one of the hinges on the bathroom door was broke, the hinge on the front door was broke, and the housekeeping was horrible. We slept friday night , then Saturday we went for some breakfast and a strole down the strip, we returned about 4 hours later to our room still dirty. We called housekeeping and informed them she said they would send someone right up so we decided to go grab some 6:30 P.M!!! For what we paid for the 2 nights I expected better customer service and a cleaner room. We really considered changing hotels after the first night but we had already paid for this one. All in all if you can get past the smelly dirty elevators, smoke filled hallways and rooms, and food that I don't see how people could possibly eat then its perfect for you. I will consider staying here again once all the remodeling is completed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experience during your stay. I have taken your feedback to our housekeeping manager so they can review and address. We are making improvements with our restaurants and addressing rooms that are in need of updating.
Grand Island, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Checking into the hotel took an hour and a half. Maybe they were understaffed? Either way that was extremely frustrating taking that long to get checked in. The location is terrible. Clear at the end of the strip. So if you wanted to go to the main part of the strip you better hop onto a bus or take a taxi. The rooms weren't special at all. Surprising because this is vegas you would think hotels would do anything to compete with each other. Beds were comfortable at least and it wasn't that it was dirty its just not as nice as I would have expected. If you're looking for some entertainment, again nothing special at this hotel. They have a pool with a live dj playing which was pretty cool. The only other entertainment was half naked chicks dancing on a pole in the casino during the night time. This hotel is cheap but I guess you get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2011
GMRivieraLV, Manager at Riviera Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Thank you for your review. I see you stayed with us in July of this year. Since that time we have added additional staffing to decrease the check in time for our guest. Thank you again for your review as these are tools to make improvements.
Jay Franken | VP of Hotel Operations

Been to Riviera Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!