“Improving every day” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3801 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% off + Pool Seating
Ranked #77 of 274 hotels in Las Vegas
Orland Park, Illinois
“Improving every day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have been going to Vegas for 33 years now. I have tried all sorts of Hotels. Each has their own plus and minus. The Tropicana was an old school place to stay, but the comps were great. Recently the place was bought and they have started renovating. I tried it once again after a few years and was pleasantly surprised by what they are doing and the plans they still have. Numerous improvements. I would definitely go back. The comps are still better than most places on the strip.

Room Tip: Their are front Tower rooms, Cabanas, and rear Tower rooms. All of them are quiet. The front Tower...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

6,656 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,650)
SF Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It was my Hunny Luv's 35th BD and I wanted him to have a really great time. I found this really great deal on groupon and said why not? The rooms looked pretty good online so I couldn't complain.

The perk to being at the end of the Strip is it was one of the closest strip hotels from the airport. If you haven't been to Vegas before, taxis cost some serious money. When we drove up, the outside still looks like an older hotel, but once you get in there, this coconut aroma makes itself known to your senses and you walk into a very white hotel with red accents...

Check in was easy, but it was quite the walk from the front desk to the club tower. The room was okay with us, It was nice looking, well stocked and clean. Be prepared to pay a daily charge for a fridge if you want one. We were out and about so much that it didn't matter much. We had a view of the airport in our room. Once again it didn't matter much. The bathtub in the room was a nice soaking tub, but if you're over 6 feet tall it may not be the most comfortable.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants there, they seemed very pricey for our birthday budget. We noticed it's a bit older crowd, more 45 and older, but like I've said we weren't there much but to shower and sleep. This is why I said it fit the purpose of some thirty somethings having a fantastic time moving and shaking. I would stay here again simply for saving a little money and the cleanliness.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Whilst on the Strip, the Tropicana has a relaxed beachy feel so you can escape the wonderful madness of Vegas for a while. Great cafe overlooking the outdoor pools, lovely restaurants, excellent cocktail bar selling amazing frozen cocktails. Only thing I would change is that our room was in the further away tower which took some time to get back and forth to so it's worthwhile paying the extra for the rooms nearer the entrance. Otherwise a very enjoyable stay and good value for your buck.

• Stayed November 2012
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the tropicana for our 2nd time, had great time, smaller hotel and casino with great customer service. rooms were very nice, had a corner suite in the 2nd tower, while my friend was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, he arrived ealier. Overall the pool area, casino and restaurant were great, a little off from the center of the strip but well worth it.

Room Tip: Corner suites and 1 bedroom suites are the best
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked this hotel through Expedia and we showed up to the hotel after our flight just after midnight. They didn't have the room available for us that we booked so we were upgraded to a suite, which was beautiful. The next day our room wasn't ready when we wanted to go out so we had to store all of our stuff with the manager. When we came back from our day it was ready but it was a big pain to lug all of our stuff up and down to our room twice. I booked this room at least 6 months in advance - you would think they would've had our room available! Other than that, the room was nice with a great view but it was such a long walk through the hotel to even get to the elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel. That way you won't have to walk so far. Also a room facing t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked 3 rooms at the Tropicana for myself and 2 co-workers. Relying on the reviews on the Westjet airlines site, I expected some level of luxury.
The renos to the common areas of the Hotel are first class. The rooms, however, were quite disappointing.
On the first floor there was no wireless, so I was moved to the third. The bed in my room was creaky and rough. Tiles broken in the bathroom. No fridge or coffeemaker. It felt like a dorm room or the type of place I'd stay with 10 friends back in high school.
One of the other rooms had its problems too. Massive force was required to turn on the shower. And a noisy air conditioner. But in this room reportedly the bed was okay. Still, on the first floor no wifi.
I only go to Las Vegas on business trips, and this is my third. The other places I stayed in the past seemed considerably nicer for the money. I kept thinking that we could have done better somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I highly recommend the Tropicana. I stayed at the Tropicana from Nov 30 - Dec 2.

History: I’ve been coming to Vegas since I was a child (a perk from growing up in Los Angeles) and we used to stay at the Tropicana all the time because it was family friendly (large pool) and was a great value. However, as time passed, the flashier “resort” hotels that sprung up have more recently caught our eye. Through a mix of chance and luck, we found ourselves staying at the Tropicana again after many years (I’m 29 now).

Hotel: The hotel is completely remodeled from what it used to be like. The hotel has a bright tropical resort feel (think palm trees), no dim lights in here making it hard to walk around and find things. Also, I didn’t notice the coconut hotel perfume being irritating, it was light and pleasant. The layout of the Casino (some of it was still going through some minor renovations when we were there) is easy to understand so you won’t feel lost getting to your room from the slots or tables. However, even despite the remodel, certain things couldn’t change to match the newer hotels, one of these is the height of ceilings (I know this is very nitpicky of me, and shouldn’t matter in deciding on a hotel, but it was something that stood out to me—very “old Las Vegas.”)

Reception: The friendly staff was quick and efficient with our check in (less than 3 minutes in line). (No one likes to wait here, especially after a long drive or flight, so kudos to them for that).

Room: The rooms have been completely remodeled! It’s such a nice change from some of the “heavier” feeling rooms of nearby hotels, where everything is dark, cramped and serious (or as they call it “sleek”). Here, the Tropicana, like its new lobby, is much more fresh, open, light and relaxed. I thought this was a nice touch and design choice that kind of bucks the trend of other Vegas establishments. The room has everything that a room should have: TV, WiFi, AC/Heat, Alarm Clock, Phone, Windows + Shutters, etc. The room was made up every day; towels/bath products replaced every day and overall, felt clean.

Beds: The beds are super comfy, but a bit on the firm side (but I enjoy firm beds), same goes for the pillows.

Bathroom: One of my only gripes is that the bathrooms haven’t been upped to a resort level feel (this again may be due in part to the limitations of a remodel than a complete tear down/rebuild the hotel issue). Of course the bathroom had a toilet/ two sinks/ blow dryer and a shower that had no issues what so ever. However, I really did not enjoy the bath products that were provided. The Shampoo and Moisturizers felt like they dried out my hair/skin more than they nourished. The bar soap wasn’t frothy or luxe—very basic feeling. Anyway, if this is the biggest gripe I have, you really can’t go wrong with this hotel.

Location: Location is a tricky thing, because you never know what people want exactly. I thought the location was great, it is on the same corner as Excalibur (which has a free tram to Luxor and Mandalay Bay), NYNY and MGM Grand (which has a pay tram that goes pretty far down the strip). I walked to Planet Hollywood Hotel and Cosmopolitan/Aria Hotels and those were literally 7 minutes away at most (walking). Finally, we did drive out to the Wynn Hotel because we didn’t want to commit to walking there and back (although by car, everything is very close).

Value: Best value in town.

Conclusion: If you haven’t been to the Tropicana in recent years, I would definitely recommend you give it a try. You won’t be disappointed. If you have been there recently, then you know what I’m talking about, and I’m sure you are or will become a repeat customer, like me. Or if you've never been to the Tropicana, then I think this is the perfect time for you to have a great experience at the Tropicana.

Thanks for reading my review; I’m always glad to answer any questions you may have.

Pros:
+ Great Service (check in/out was fast and staff was very friendly)
+ Great Value (you can't beat these prices in Vegas)
+ Great Location (see above re: walking times to other hotels)
+ Great Remodel (completely unrecognizable from before)
+ Great Rooms (see note about bathrooms below)

Cons:
- Ceilings not as high as other hotels (a limitation of the remodel)
- Bathrooms not "resorty" enough (I would prefer higher quality soap/shampoo/moisturizer)
- Casino slightly smaller than similar resorts (but has everything)
- No buffet (fatties unite!)

Special note: if you ever have any concerns or questions, contact Nicole (nmarshall@troplv.com) she is an amazing ambassador for the Tropicana, they're lucky to have her, as are we. (Read between the lines: *cough cough* she helped us out with part of the fees *cough cough.*)

Room Tip: You want the Paradise Tower (closer to the strip).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!