“2nd time around” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3801 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
MAMMA MIA! Package
Ranked #65 of 273 hotels in Las Vegas
Edmonton, Canada
“2nd time around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at the tropicana for our 2nd time, had great time, smaller hotel and casino with great customer service. rooms were very nice, had a corner suite in the 2nd tower, while my friend was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, he arrived ealier. Overall the pool area, casino and restaurant were great, a little off from the center of the strip but well worth it.

Room Tip: Corner suites and 1 bedroom suites are the best
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

6,248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,548)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked this hotel through Expedia and we showed up to the hotel after our flight just after midnight. They didn't have the room available for us that we booked so we were upgraded to a suite, which was beautiful. The next day our room wasn't ready when we wanted to go out so we had to store all of our stuff with the manager. When we came back from our day it was ready but it was a big pain to lug all of our stuff up and down to our room twice. I booked this room at least 6 months in advance - you would think they would've had our room available! Other than that, the room was nice with a great view but it was such a long walk through the hotel to even get to the elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel. That way you won't have to walk so far. Also a room facing t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked 3 rooms at the Tropicana for myself and 2 co-workers. Relying on the reviews on the Westjet airlines site, I expected some level of luxury.
The renos to the common areas of the Hotel are first class. The rooms, however, were quite disappointing.
On the first floor there was no wireless, so I was moved to the third. The bed in my room was creaky and rough. Tiles broken in the bathroom. No fridge or coffeemaker. It felt like a dorm room or the type of place I'd stay with 10 friends back in high school.
One of the other rooms had its problems too. Massive force was required to turn on the shower. And a noisy air conditioner. But in this room reportedly the bed was okay. Still, on the first floor no wifi.
I only go to Las Vegas on business trips, and this is my third. The other places I stayed in the past seemed considerably nicer for the money. I kept thinking that we could have done better somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I highly recommend the Tropicana. I stayed at the Tropicana from Nov 30 - Dec 2.

History: I’ve been coming to Vegas since I was a child (a perk from growing up in Los Angeles) and we used to stay at the Tropicana all the time because it was family friendly (large pool) and was a great value. However, as time passed, the flashier “resort” hotels that sprung up have more recently caught our eye. Through a mix of chance and luck, we found ourselves staying at the Tropicana again after many years (I’m 29 now).

Hotel: The hotel is completely remodeled from what it used to be like. The hotel has a bright tropical resort feel (think palm trees), no dim lights in here making it hard to walk around and find things. Also, I didn’t notice the coconut hotel perfume being irritating, it was light and pleasant. The layout of the Casino (some of it was still going through some minor renovations when we were there) is easy to understand so you won’t feel lost getting to your room from the slots or tables. However, even despite the remodel, certain things couldn’t change to match the newer hotels, one of these is the height of ceilings (I know this is very nitpicky of me, and shouldn’t matter in deciding on a hotel, but it was something that stood out to me—very “old Las Vegas.”)

Reception: The friendly staff was quick and efficient with our check in (less than 3 minutes in line). (No one likes to wait here, especially after a long drive or flight, so kudos to them for that).

Room: The rooms have been completely remodeled! It’s such a nice change from some of the “heavier” feeling rooms of nearby hotels, where everything is dark, cramped and serious (or as they call it “sleek”). Here, the Tropicana, like its new lobby, is much more fresh, open, light and relaxed. I thought this was a nice touch and design choice that kind of bucks the trend of other Vegas establishments. The room has everything that a room should have: TV, WiFi, AC/Heat, Alarm Clock, Phone, Windows + Shutters, etc. The room was made up every day; towels/bath products replaced every day and overall, felt clean.

Beds: The beds are super comfy, but a bit on the firm side (but I enjoy firm beds), same goes for the pillows.

Bathroom: One of my only gripes is that the bathrooms haven’t been upped to a resort level feel (this again may be due in part to the limitations of a remodel than a complete tear down/rebuild the hotel issue). Of course the bathroom had a toilet/ two sinks/ blow dryer and a shower that had no issues what so ever. However, I really did not enjoy the bath products that were provided. The Shampoo and Moisturizers felt like they dried out my hair/skin more than they nourished. The bar soap wasn’t frothy or luxe—very basic feeling. Anyway, if this is the biggest gripe I have, you really can’t go wrong with this hotel.

Location: Location is a tricky thing, because you never know what people want exactly. I thought the location was great, it is on the same corner as Excalibur (which has a free tram to Luxor and Mandalay Bay), NYNY and MGM Grand (which has a pay tram that goes pretty far down the strip). I walked to Planet Hollywood Hotel and Cosmopolitan/Aria Hotels and those were literally 7 minutes away at most (walking). Finally, we did drive out to the Wynn Hotel because we didn’t want to commit to walking there and back (although by car, everything is very close).

Value: Best value in town.

Conclusion: If you haven’t been to the Tropicana in recent years, I would definitely recommend you give it a try. You won’t be disappointed. If you have been there recently, then you know what I’m talking about, and I’m sure you are or will become a repeat customer, like me. Or if you've never been to the Tropicana, then I think this is the perfect time for you to have a great experience at the Tropicana.

Thanks for reading my review; I’m always glad to answer any questions you may have.

Pros:
+ Great Service (check in/out was fast and staff was very friendly)
+ Great Value (you can't beat these prices in Vegas)
+ Great Location (see above re: walking times to other hotels)
+ Great Remodel (completely unrecognizable from before)
+ Great Rooms (see note about bathrooms below)

Cons:
- Ceilings not as high as other hotels (a limitation of the remodel)
- Bathrooms not "resorty" enough (I would prefer higher quality soap/shampoo/moisturizer)
- Casino slightly smaller than similar resorts (but has everything)
- No buffet (fatties unite!)

Special note: if you ever have any concerns or questions, contact Nicole (nmarshall@troplv.com) she is an amazing ambassador for the Tropicana, they're lucky to have her, as are we. (Read between the lines: *cough cough* she helped us out with part of the fees *cough cough.*)

Room Tip: You want the Paradise Tower (closer to the strip).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

At the end of the strip lies this slightly quieter but well polished hotel. Great service, a quaint casino with good service and a clean cut to it. Allows you to get away from the hectic nature of most of the strip whilst retaining great access. The pool is quiet enough but good for relaxing. Decent gym as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Garrison, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Rooms were nice and clean but looked warn out even after the remodel. We had to change rooms because our first room didn't have hot water and almost had to change a second time because of the same problem. The hotel fixed the problem overnight so it wasn't that big of a problem. All of the staff we had interaction with were very nice, especially the ladies working in the shop at the front door. They were very nice to my daughter and I. The Gym closes way to early (7pm). Casino is nice, not very crowded and didn't get overly smokey. My real knock is that I had my 4yr old daughter with me and there wasn't anything in the Hotel to keep us there, we had to travel to other hotels for lunch and dinner. I didn't try the restaurants in the hotel, but from what I could see they were good places to eat. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The bottom line is, I would stay again but not if I had kids with me. Very nice staff and clean place!

Room Tip: We had a room on the Mandelay Bay side and it was very noisy. First two nights there was a concert...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was my very first trip to Vegas, I went with a friend and initially we wanted to stay at the Aria, Bellagio or Ceasars but they were a little out of our price range at the time so we went with Tropicana which turned out to be a great decision.

Right when you walk in, the casino is in front and the lobby to the left. You can smell the smoke more than in the newer hotel/casinos but it's still much better than what I assume it must have used to be like, cause it really wasn't that bad, but it was there.

Anyway, we came at a good time cause there wasn't much line up to check in and the woman that helped us was very friendly. We got a room about half way up and overlooking the strip, sort of, so that was great. The room itself didn't smell like smoke at all so that was nice. We just had a standard room with 2 queen beds. It had been somewhat recently reno'd with a bamboo style of furniture - which was really nice. The beds were great! I slept extremely well every night I was there and didn't hear anyone else in the rooms around me.

My only real complaint would be the washroom - don't get me wrong it wasn't bad, but it kind of had a sense of being only half renovated. also, the caulking around the bathtub was completely coming away from the walls so that probably needs to be redone. I imagine it's hard to keep up with renos in a place that has such a high turnover of guests, many of whom I'm sure are quite rough on the rooms, so it didn't bother me too much, but it was noticeable. Also the shower head was quite low, if you are much taller than around 5'8, you might have to bend a little to get fully under the spray.

We were told a few times that the pool area was like, the jewel of the hotel and we never actually made it down there because we were just so busy with all the other stuff we did. We could see if from our room though and it did look really nice and expansive.

We had room service one night around 2am and it was fantastic! My friend had a ceasar salad and I had a quesadilla and i have to say it was one of the best I've ever had!

All in all, it was great :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!