“Las Vegas Strip Icon Reborn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

You added Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel to your Saves list
Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3801 Las Vegas Blvd South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Strip)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Room + Show Package Steal
Ranked #89 of 272 Hotels in Las Vegas
Laurel, Maryland
“Las Vegas Strip Icon Reborn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I finally had the chance to stay at the completely remodeled Tropicana Hotel in August, when I found a very good rate (and not even as a "mystery" hotel listing) -- $42/night for a two-night stay. At that rate, the new-and-improved Tropicana was a bargain. Except for a couple of fairly minor quibbles, I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay at the Trop again.

Location: The Trop is exactly where it's always been, which is a good thing: right on the Strip at...Tropicana Avenue, natch. It's hard to believe that the old, decaying 3-star Trop occupied that prime piece of Strip real estate for 4 decades before being renovated. The Trop's main entrance is right off its namesake boulevard, and the (valet) exit is right onto the southbound Strip -- very convenient for wherever one wants to go in Vegas. The Trop sits on its own little compound, without being crowded by other (but still very nearby) hotels. I never did find the entrance to the self-park garage, but that was OK, as the valets were excellent, and one could also park in the surface lot between the hotel's main tower and Trop. Ave.

Room: I was upgraded (a bit) to something like a mini-suite: a corner room on the 20th floor of the...Island Tower (I think; in any event, it was the tower behind the main/hotel-entrance tower). I quite liked it; very nice, cool, beach-y furnishings; slatted-wood window blinds; all painted in a pleasant cream color. A couple of faux tropical potted plants completed the homage to the hotel's name and theme. The furnishings were not lux but acceptable for a 4-star, and the room's decor made for a good atmosphere. The bed was comfy, and the renovated bathroom large but with one old-Trop holdover: a huge tub in one corner of the (large) bathroom with what looked like the original (60s/70s) showerhead, taps, faucet, and drain. The pull-to shower curtain was on flimsy plastic hooks; otherwise, the shower/tub was fine -- certainly spacious enough and good water pressure. The one letdown in the room was the A/C, which didn't get quite as cool as I like. A mechanic came up and explained that the A/C system in the tower was...something like a fancier version of a "swamp cooler", with pipes drawing up chilled water in exchange for...not-chilled? water. Whatever. He advised me to keep the blinds closed during the day, especially in a room with direct western exposure and thus hot Vegas sunlight all afternoon. Again, not a major issue, but it seems that the Trop owners might have gone with a more powerful/efficient A/C system while renovating other aspects of the hotel.

Other hotel features: The tower I stayed in didn't have any restaurant, but there was a coffee stand with Starbucks (with the coffee brought over from the actual Starbucks in the main tower). That was convenient. The elevators (at least the bank on the outer wall) rode in glassed-in cages with great views up the Strip. I didn't take a dip in any of the hotel's pool areas, but they looked inviting and with plenty of room for all. I played a few of the video slot machines in the main tower's casino; nothing of note there; the hotel's casino area is relatively small for a Strip property. Oh, a nice touch -- the lobby and other public areas of the hotel smelled like coconut.

Bottom line: The Trop is once again a major player on the strip, and if you can get a room in the $40-to-$50 range, I'd call that the best hotel bargain on the Strip. Welcome back in your new suit, Tropicana.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Nicole-TropLV, Guest Relations Manager at Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback, we appreciate you. I am happy to share with you that the HVAC challenge has been corrected and we are working to upgrade the bathroom to match the rest of the room. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,865)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel was fabulous. The only thing stopping a 5 star review is that it lacks the "pizazz" of other Vegas hotels. That being said, it is everything you could want in a room! It was very spacious, clean and homely! We loved it! Didn't use any of the facilities, but from what we saw, the pool looked very nice.

It is located at the end of the strip really, but MGM, New York and Excaliber are on the other 3 corners which all have a good variety of nightlife.

We really enjoyed this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend to everyone!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your review and I am thrilled you had a great visit. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplvb.com
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed at the tropicana in August 2012... It was a lovely hotel, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting. It is an average hotel with average facilities. The hotel was all clean and the staff were friendly, it just wasn't the 4* I was expecting.

If the price was right I would stay there again, however I wouldnt pay as much money as I did this year!

Hope this has helped!
Deb

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I apologize your stay was not as you had expected. Your comments were all great so I would love to know what we could improve upon in order to meet and exceed your expectations. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Daytona Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I signed up for a two week vacation through the Tropicana's travel agency. I got round trip airfare from Daytona, fourteen days at the Tropicana, and A Hertz rental car for the last seven day's. all in the one package for A very great price. My airplane was A Delta Airlines plane and was on time and I arrived in Las Vegas on time. My reservation at the Tropicana was ready and I had A great very clean and looked like new room with A 42 inch HD TV. It was only on the third floor with A view of MGM, Hooters, and New York New York but was located in Paradise tower and very easy to get in and out of the hotel. The service was excellent and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The Casino was bright and cheery and always full of action. A ten minute walk through MGM and there was A Monorail entrance.The Monorail has several stops along the strip and you can purchase A three day ticket that allows you to use it as many times as you need to for three days. I really enjoyed my time at the Trpicana and when I got my rental car at Hertz for my last seven day's I enjoyed the free parking that was provided. I have absolutely no complaints at all with the Tropicana as far as my stay except for the $19.00 A day that the city charges for any person that is staying on the Strip. It is not A Tropicana fee but goes to the city. Get A hotel off of the strip and you do not have to pay this rip off charge.
If I do go back to Las Vegas I will probably stay there again but at least I will know to add the City Fee to my hotel budget.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor of the Paradise tower and although I did hear some police sirens occasional...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. I am happy you were able to find a great deal with one of our travel partners. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Petersburg, Alaska, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I enjoyed the Tropicana hotel. It is a much smaller hotel than others on the resort but this was a relief at night after a long day walking the strip to be able to navigate to your room easily. Many of the hotels are so huge and filled with everything that it's easy to get turned around and lost in them.

One thing I wished they'd advertised is that there pool is not open. Every other hotel on the strip that had a pool had theirs open, not the Tropicana. Although there is a 24 hour jacuzzi!

Our room was very clean, and the maid was very nice and made sure to make sure everything was clean and to our standards. She even stopped us as we were leaving one day to make sure it was clean enough and she hadn't forgotten anything. I was very appreciative of her and how important it was to her that she'd done a good job.

I had booked a special package through the hotel and was suppose to get some tickets with my room, which were not ready at check in and I'm almost positive they wouldn't have given me without me reminding them. The front desk girl, sorry don't remember her name, was very nice and called me right away when I got to my room to assure me they would be ready for me first thing the next day and would be free instead of the half price amount that was included in the room package. They were ready first thing as she'd said! Although being told they were now free naturally I would receive a refund correct? No. I did not.

I hadn't come to Vegas to watch TV, so wasn't too concerned about it. However by day 3 my boyfriend and I were pretty tired from walking the strip and turned in a bit early. I decided to watch some tv for a bit before bed, only none of the channels were working. I decided to call the front desk about this. It was about 10:30pm when I did this. At about 10 minutes after 11 I decided screw this, I just wanted to watch a tv show now it's been over a half hour! I call the desk back, to let them know I was just going to go to sleep and to send someone up in the morning. I managed to say "Hi I called over a half hour ago to get my tv fixed and no ones come up yet so..." and was interrupted with "Well we just had a shift change at 11 so that's why no one has come up yet." (her voice sounded like she was annoyed) This annoyed me, so you're telling me that someone sat around for the past 30 minutes because it was about to be a shift change, thats dumb! I didn't complain and simply said I was not informed of a shift change and since it's so late I'd like them to just send someone up tomorrow when we were out to fix it. She said ok. I put the do not disturb sign on the door, latch it, turn off the lights, lay down and within 10 minutes theres a knock at our door. It's the maintenance guy here to fix the tv. Really? I didn't say anything to him because the front desk person probably ignored my call entirely and didn't tell this guy anything. Within two minutes he fixes the tv, some loose cable on the back which I was wishing I had checked myself. So a two minute fix took nearly an hour for someone to come. But I didn't let this ruin my stay, because I didn't come to vegas for tv lol.

I paid one nights deposit for this hotel over a month prior to checking in. When I checked in they put a hold on my card for about a hundred dollars more than the entire stays quote. I figured this was a deposit that would be released at check out. When I checked out I noticed that my receipt didn't make sense. They said I'd paid the deposit the day I'd checked in, which isn't true it was charged to my card a month prior and should have been dated that way as it was an itemized receipt. Not only that, but what I thought was a deposit, wasn't. I was on the road when I realized so I called the accounting department. I explained about my quote, they'd assumed that the quote was not including resort fees, which very well could be but when I called I specifically asked for the total with taxes and resort fee so I could budget my trip accordingly, if they misquoted its their fault, not mine. After a while on the phone they agreed to return my resort fees, which still makes it higher than the price quote, but figured it was the best they were willing to give. I still never saw a refund for my two for one tickets either, so so much for making up for them not being ready. I think they just tell you that thinking you wont noticed if you're refunded. I noticed..

All in all I love that it was clean, small and easy to navigate, and that it had a great location! If you can get a good deal, then this is the place to stay. If you're looking at the same price to stay at nearby hotels, then I'd probably pass on this one.

Room Tip: The Club Tower is a bit of a walk but has great rooms. The Paradise Tower is right inside the front...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we appreciate you. I apologize the pool was closed for the season but we do keep the hot tubs open 24/7. I did check around and only 4 other Strip properties have their pools open in the winter. All will allow outside guests for a fee to use their pools if you like. The buy one get one free ticket voucher was a "perk" of the package you booked. As you did not pay for the voucher, there was not a refund that we could have given on it. And while I do apologize the voucher was not ready when you arrived, I am happy we were able t compensate with free tickets. I do apologize over the customer service challenges ands this has been addressed. I hope you understand this is an isolated incident. Please let me know if you still have billing questions and I will be happy to walk through your bill with you and ensure it is 100% accurate and you are satisfied. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in Tropicana in May of this year (2012) and had a great time. The hotel room was great. The bathroom was still one of the ones that wasn't updated yet, but even so it was still nice. The staff were really friendly and helpful. We ate at nikki cafe on our 2nd evening and it was perfect. Our server was amazing. He was very friendly and welcoming. We sat on the patio and there were even little spritzer things attached to the trees that sprayed mist when it got too hot. Was fantastic. I highly recommend the mac and cheese balls (DELICIOUS) and the club sandwich was fantastic. Would definitely eat there again. We dealt with guest services with Nicole and she ended up even offering us our fridge free of charge. That was very nice thank you nicole. I do think people would be happier if the fridges were free of charge included in your room because its a hot place and keeping drinks or left overs cold would definitely be an issue without the fridge. I also highly recommend the top of the world restaurant at the stratosphere. it was AMAZING. The view the food the staff. all of it was perfect. We went for my boyfriends birthday and had the best time. Even got to see some of the jumpers on the skydiving ride at the top.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy Birthday once again to your boyfriend and it really was my pleasure to assist you. We look forward to your next visit. (Beach Cafe still serves those same amazing mac and Cheese balls!) -Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Celebrated my 30th Birthday and Halloween weekend at Tropicana recently and could not have been happier with our choice to stay there. Yes, Tropicana is located at the southern end of the strip, but it's easy to tell the location just by checking a map so anyone complaining about it being too far away should just stay somewhere else in the first place. We would just plan our days out so that we weren't walking to the opposite end of the strip more than once and it was just fine. I chose this hotel because of their beachy theme and was not disappointed. I loved the tropical scent that you can pick up through much of the hotel and the pool is gorgeous! We lucked out with hot sunny weather at the end of October, so the pool was still open. It really felt like we were on a getaway with the palm trees, waterfall by the pool and the perfect weather. We stayed in the Paradise Tower and the bed was SO comfortable. Loved the decor in our room and the rooms in the Club Tower (some of our friends were over there) were also very nice. I preferred the location of the Paradise Tower, but a lot of the Club Tower rooms had nice views of the pool so there were pros to both.

Service was incredible. Wendy at check in was so nice and friendly, and even held a room for our friends to be down the hall from us since they were arriving a couple hours later. We were able to check in early at no extra cost and Nancy who I believe is in guest relations was even sweet enough to have a little birthday package and 2 tickets to the Laugh Factory set aside for me. I'm sure she helped us get into that nice room in the Paradise Tower too, but Wendy also seemed like she would have done whatever she could to make our stay enjoyable. We also dined out at Beach Cafe for Sangria Sunday and all of the staff there was fantastic... our waiter even humoured our request to keep the sangria coming since it was "endless" between 10 and 2 (we had to bail out at 1:45, too full!)

I loved the size of the resort as well - you can actually get around from place to place in a sane amount of time, and I had no problems at all with the location. Will definitely stay here again in the future - it was like a Beach/Vegas vacation in one, perfect!

Room Tip: Doesn't hurt to be polite and friendly and request a "free upgrade" at check in... you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and Happy 30th Birthday! We appreciate you choosing to celebrate with us. It was my pleasure to assist you and I have shared with review with Wendy as well so she can be celebrated. --Nicole Marshall nmarshall@troplv.com

Been to Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!